Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I was spray-painting some parts of my engine compartment and missed a section to mask off. Needless to say I got overspray on my inner fender. Yesterday I tried to get it off with paint thinner, but it didn't work. What's is something that is tough enough to take the dried spray paint off, but won't take off my car's paint?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Nail polish remover. Make sure it has acetone in it.

Add elbow grease and then a fresh coat of wax once the spray paint is removed and the problem will be gone.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Clay bar. A friend bought a truck cap that was a second because of some over spray. Tried all kinds of stuff. Finally clay bar took it off really easy.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,038 Posts
Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
655 Posts
You didn't specify what type of thinner was used. Lacquer thinner should remove all types of paint that are not fully cured. Start with a rag slightly damp with lacquer thinner, check the inner fender paint to ensure it is not being damaged. If the unwanted paint is not being removed use more thinner. Should be able to use a fully wet rag for short periods of time without damaging the original paint. I'm a retired body man and have done this countless times without damaging original paint. Alternately, rubbing compound and polishing compound should work.

Good Luck.

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! The wife had the acetone nail polish remover already, so I started with that, before buying anything else; much elbow grease later, it did come out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts