Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, first off ill say i installed a Barton shifter last week. I have a 2016 RT plus 6 speed with 48k miles. Car was driving fine , untill today pulling away from the light i could not get it into 2nd gear. 1st and 3rd are fine, 4th is a no go. Also hear a pretty nasty grind trying to get it out of third even with the clutch fully engaged. I will say i did learn how to basically drive manual on this car, and have never done a trans/clutch service.
Does this sound like a clutch issue? Shifter issue? Or syncro damage? Going to tear the barton out and put the stock shifter back in the morning but any opinions in the mean time is greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would start with checking all the mounts for the Barton just to make sure nothing is loose since everything worked before that change. If everything is fine then start looking into clutch and transmission.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would start with checking all the mounts for the Barton just to make sure nothing is loose since everything worked before that change. If everything is fine then start looking into clutch and transmission.
Gonna definitely have a good look at it in he morning. I didnt find anywhere that said if i should use any type of locktite or grease on the new shifter. Either of those necessary?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Check your shifter - the bolt that comes from the transmission and attaches to the shifter - that should definitely have blue thread locker on those threads.
Not sure how the Barton shifter lever is secured, but on the OEM it could have (blue) thread locker on the bolts that secure the handle to the shift mechanism as well.

Also check the pins that secure the front arms of the shift to the transmission case. Sometimes if the tabs weren't rotated to lock them down, they could back out.

If all the above checks out - then you have internal issues. But first step is to double check the installation of the shifter mechanism to rule out that possibility.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update, took it all apart and my two dowl pins that connect the shifter forks are MISSING! Looks like i installed them improperly and they decided to back themselves out somehwere along the road. Special ordering them from dodge should have it all square by Wednesday

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Update, took it all apart and my two dowl pins that connect the shifter forks are MISSING! Looks like i installed them improperly and they decided to back themselves out somehwere along the road. Special ordering them from dodge should have it all square by Wednesday
When you get the new ones - make sure to rotate those retainer clips. One ends up facing downward, the other faces upward to lock onto the ears of the case.

Good catch on that one. The top plate bolt was the only thing keeping the shifter in place!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts