Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 Challenger battery died without warning. I replaced it with a AGM battery. Now it will start and run no problem but has the check engine light, traction control light among others. Dash warning "shifter not in park" "service airbags" and will only shutdown the engine to accessory mode. Scanned it and throwing every code it has.
Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment Font Material property
Product Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Font
Font Audio equipment Automotive exterior Material property Gas
Output device Personal computer Computer Font Automotive exterior

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
As we say in IT, "Reboot early, reboot often" Or "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
If not disconnecting, and reconnecting the battery. Look into WHY your old battery died without warning. Do an amp draw on the new battery with everything turned off. How is the voltage on the new battery, and what does it drop to when you turn on the car (not start, just turn on acc)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was the original battery, 7 yrs old had it tested and result was bad battery. I will test it with multimeter shutdown and running and see if there is a difference in voltage. Thanks.

BTW I did the negative terminal off for five minutes did not change anything.

·
Super Moderator
15,474 Posts
Electrical issues can happen after a battery replacement or disconnect. If your battery cables have been re-attached and tightened down properly, you may have to visit the dealer to reinitialize the modules that lost memory.

As a worse case scenario, the PCM (powertrain control module) and the BCM (body control module) could have malfunctioned because of a shortage in the battery system. This could have happened when the battery failed, was removed, or installed. One explanation for why the car is still working is that the PCM and the BCM have not completely failed, which is allowing it to still function. Unfortunately, the only way to repair this problem is to replace and reprogram the PCM and BCM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Electrical issues can happen after a battery replacement or disconnect. If your battery cables have been re-attached and tightened down properly, you may have to visit the dealer to reinitialize the modules that lost memory.

As a worse case scenario, the PCM (powertrain control module) and the BCM (body control module) could have malfunctioned because of a shortage in the battery system. This could have happened when the battery failed, was removed, or installed. One explanation for why the car is still working is that the PCM and the BCM have not completely failed, which is allowing it to still function. Unfortunately, the only way to repair this problem is to replace and reprogram the PCM and BCM.
Sounds expensive 😔

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,870 Posts
So on the newer jeeps and some other FCA models a proxy alignment needs to be performed but on 2015s (I have a 2015 RT) there is no such thing and I have had the battery at a low SOC more than a handful of times. I use AlfaOBD (diagnostic and BCM reconfiguration software that I use with OBD link MX+) which has the ability to re-initialize the PCM IIRC. I wonder if your bad battery did something to the BUS communications causing some of the modules to get stuck in a funky state or something? Not sure if launch has the ability to re-initialize modules but I know Alfa has this capability for some modules like ABS and it can also perform a relearn of certain systems like steering angle..etc.

For example you can initialize the ORC system.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,372 Posts
As we say in IT, "Reboot early, reboot often" Or "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"
If not disconnecting, and reconnecting the battery. Look into WHY your old battery died without warning. Do an amp draw on the new battery with everything turned off. How is the voltage on the new battery, and what does it drop to when you turn on the car (not start, just turn on acc)
Yep when in doubt Turn it off and wait Turn it over 27 years in I.T.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts