Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out and took about 100 shots of the car tonight just at sunset to try and avoid the big goofy shadows I normally get.

I took some shots that I really like but I'm struggling with the fact that the color of the car looks red in almost all the shots.

What would you guys do to try and adjust the color of the car? I know how to use masking in GIMP to change one layer then mask in only the car so that the background is unaffected. What I'm struggling with is how to get a reasonable looking orange color.

Anyway, here are some 1000px wide samples of the pictures so you guys can get an idea of what I'm working with.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's a picture from Xombiefighter91 that shows what I'm shooting for. I know this pic has been photoshopped, I just can't seem to get my car to look this color no matter how hard I try.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Getting late, feeling tired, but tried to play with it a little.

I manually selected car and copied it to a new layer
Did a color selection of the orange.
Did a Noise/Median adjustment to get rid of some pixilation.
Adjusted the hue.
Put it back on the original background.

Adjusted background to highlight car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Mine never looks red in photos ? Either your camera is color blind or you dropped it ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Visine. Gets the red out!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It may be the black stripes, Hemi Orange R/T's are supposed to be naked!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi, the problem is your camera is choosing or using an auto white balance which is too low, the camera saw this scene as 3500 degree's kelvin and in a regular sunny day the white balance would be between 5500 degree's and 6000 degrees.
If your camera has a selection of white balance set it to the sunny option.
This will show you a quick corrected version.
Take Care, Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
So I went out and took about 100 shots of the car tonight just at sunset to try and avoid the big goofy shadows I normally get.

I took some shots that I really like but I'm struggling with the fact that the color of the car looks red in almost all the shots.

What would you guys do to try and adjust the color of the car? I know how to use masking in GIMP to change one layer then mask in only the car so that the background is unaffected. What I'm struggling with is how to get a reasonable looking orange color.

Anyway, here are some 1000px wide samples of the pictures so you guys can get an idea of what I'm working with.

Super Dodge, Very nice, I love the way you set up your car. All the right Mods. Just one question. Your R/T strip is not stock. I love the way it sits on the car. It flows with the body line. Where did you pick it up? I will be ordering mine with strip delete. Would love to put this strip one on mine. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Mine never looks red in photos ? Either your camera is color blind or you dropped it ?
Actually yours looks red to me.. Could be my monitor, but wonder of other folks see yours as red as well. Looks kinda Torred...

IXLR8 - Actually that is a stock R/T Classic stripe

LIke Larry M says, I think bright sunlight is the trick. I think it was AzMuscl who has some awesome pics of his Hemi Orange with White stripes. You might want to contact him for some tips if he doesn't see this thread.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
17,338 Posts
Hemi Orange is difficult to photograph.

You need direct light or supplemental flash units to get enough lighting to bring out the brighter pigments. There's a lot of black pigments and reds in HO color and in lower light (or further away flash shots) it will look more red.

I've taken pictures inside the garage and mine will look practically like Torred without color/temp correction (and some picture editor work to bring up light levels and exposure to get the overall brightness where it needs to be).

Point and shoot digital is convenient, but it requires some work to get it behaving properly...HO is an example of that. I've attached various shots of my Hemi Orange '09 to demonstrate the point.

Here's some examples (last picture - the 'Benz is very close to Torred, but it illustrates how much red pigments in HO the camera picks up. I edited this picture to correct the color balance)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Yes, HO needs to be shot with plenty of light. Below Is mine, one in the shade, the other in direct sun light; same camera.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Your R/T strip is not stock.
Vic, that's the same stripe that's on my car, just in black. It comes standard on the R/T classics. Now i believe they're offering it in red with certain colors.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts