Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I’ve been reading on this forum for a while and I’ve been wanting to get some advise and I figured you all would know best. So I have a 2017 SXT Plus with the 3.6 and I was wondering what all you guys think would be better, so a full swap of the transmission, engine, etc. or should I just get a new exhaust and a turbo or something.

·
Premium Member
2,989 Posts
A new exhaust won't net you anything as far as HP is concerned. The only real way to add serious HP to the 3.6 is to supercharge it.

I don't know the cost of doing an engine swap, along with the transmission, rear axle, and everything that goes along with it. (I assume you want a V-8).

Maybe just trade in your car for a more powerful model? I'm just thinking, by the time you spend all kinds of money and time upgrading your current drivetrain, maybe trading up would be cheaper?

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Maybe just trade in your car for a more powerful model? I'm just thinking, by the time you spend all kinds of money and time upgrading your current drivetrain, maybe trading up would be cheaper?
This. Trade your car for a 5.7 that already has 75 more HP and will take a few extra mods.

The 3.6 was never designed to be a hot rod so you are asking for what it was not designed to do.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,711 Posts
Ripp supercharger, Unlocked PCM, custom tune $7,300+, not counting drivetrain/brake upgrades for longevity

V6 to V8 difficulties

A Guy

Reactions: scatpackfrank15

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,706 Posts
I agree, I was seriously considering supercharging my 2015 Charger 5.7, and (wisely) reconsidered and updated EVERYTHING at once, 3 years newer, 47 more CID, brakes, looks, SHAKER... and little things (that aren't so little) like Android Auto, 20K less miles, all for a mere $12,200 over trade in. Now if you have a extreme attachment to that car you have now, then all bets are off. But for the money, my guess is, it would be cheaper to stick in a complete 5.7 setup from a same year donor.

·
Read Only
2020 Sxt Plus
0 Posts
I plan on trading my v6 in 3 years. I absolutely love this car. And I knew going in the v8 was the way to go,but financial situation didn't support getting the upgrade. At the end of the day this v6 is super comfortable and enjoyable to drive,and it does get out of its own way . Not lightning fast by no means but fun to drive. I'm going for a 392 Scat Pack the next go round. Same color the Frost bite blue.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,310 Posts
Banks Pedal Monster will wake up that Throttle and Safely...
You can also get a Y ODBII Cable for it from Banks,
If they unit has issues it returns throttle to Normal,
Has ODBII Diag Reader, as well
Disengages in Neutral and Reverse..
You can also adjsut the Throttle Curve...

Safety, Response, and Fun, wont hurt warranty, Put one in my SXT...

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
Or you can find a donor hellcat and swap everything over like this member is doing, but if you are not going to DIY the labor cost will be ridiculous.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
Hello I’ve been reading on this forum for a while and I’ve been wanting to get some advise and I figured you all would know best. So I have a 2017 SXT Plus with the 3.6 and I was wondering what all you guys think would be better, so a full swap of the transmission, engine, etc. or should I just get a new exhaust and a turbo or something.
If you must have more power as others have suggested and I whole heartily agree is trade the car in for a higher performance vehicle.

But do you really need more power? Why? I'm sure the car can already break every speed limit law in the US.

The car is not that old. It is I believe serving you well. Should last a long long time. Or unmodified and well taken care of provide you with a reasonable resale/trade in value when and if you decide to move on or up.

Why hack/flail away at the car to try to make it into something it was not intended to be in first place? Big waste of money. Big waste of an otherwise fine car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
A new exhaust won't net you anything as far as HP is concerned. The only real way to add serious HP to the 3.6 is to supercharge it.

I don't know the cost of doing an engine swap, along with the transmission, rear axle, and everything that goes along with it. (I assume you want a V-8).

try to find low milage scatpack.or 5.7...trade your 6cyl....for v8..most cost effective....

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you have money to upgrade your v6 you have money to trade it for a better challenger.
I will never understand the blatant disrespect and disregard thrown towards the V6 challengers. They still have more than enough hp (more than the original!) come in AWD, better fuel efficiency, and can be tuned to have better rumble than any 4 banger. Personally, the R/T is my least favorite, but I would never tell them to upgrade it to a better challenger (ie SP, Hellcat). The V6s simply serve a different audience—and that is okay. If you love it, keep it! You can modify it in different ways, without an engine swap. There are several cold air intake kits that add a bit of extra boost to the V6s, my favorite is the aFe Momentum GT, with a Borla S-type exhaust. It will never be a V8, but it’s fun in its own way! If you can’t be satisfied with mods, then trade for something you’ll enjoy more. There is nothing wrong with that. Your car. Your choice. Your joy. :)

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
If you have money to upgrade your v6 you have money to trade it for a better challenger.
I would consider my wife's 2020 G/T AWD a better car than my 2015 R/T due to the fact it has Android Auto and Apple Car Play. It also had paddle shifters from the factory, it goes through the snow where mine has to sit in the garage. Plus you do realize at 305 H.P., it has more H.P. than a 340 powered Challenger. I just wish her car had leather seats, that would be the only thing I would change about it. I know mine has been modified and will run circles around it but really, pulling away from a stop sign in a residential neighborhood, where the speed limit is 20 is about the same experience in either car.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just buy a V8. Nobody is hating on V6s per se. They serve their purpose and still look great. But if you want to dump $ into mods chasing performance the best thing you can do is step up to a higher trim level that already has it. No reason to throw good money after bad trying to get a little more performance out of a trim level that wasn't designed for it. More work than it is worth.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Hellraisin M6
341 Posts
I will never understand the blatant disrespect and disregard thrown towards the V6 challengers. They still have more than enough hp (more than the original!) come in AWD, better fuel efficiency, and can be tuned to have better rumble than any 4 banger. Personally, the R/T is my least favorite, but I would never tell them to upgrade it to a better challenger (ie SP, Hellcat). The V6s simply serve a different audience—and that is okay. If you love it, keep it! You can modify it in different ways, without an engine swap. There are several cold air intake kits that add a bit of extra boost to the V6s, my favorite is the aFe Momentum GT, with a Borla S-type exhaust. It will never be a V8, but it’s fun in its own way! If you can’t be satisfied with mods, then trade for something you’ll enjoy more. There is nothing wrong with that. Your car. Your choice. Your joy. :)
I'm curious, what makes RT your least favourite?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts