Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like I blew my motor. Number 6 has no compression, so now I am looking at building a new stroker. I am a novice at these Hemi motors, so I want to get some input from members that have done this before me.

What I am thinking so far is a 426 with a 9.5 CR. Supercharger spec'ed cam and probably 12lbs of boost off of my existing Vortech. How would you build the motor and what all would you do to it during the build? Also, what other items should I upgrade at the same time?

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Well, looks like I blew my motor. Number 6 has no compression, so now I am looking at building a new stroker. I am a novice at these Hemi motors, so I want to get some input from members that have done this before me.

What I am thinking so far is a 426 with a 9.5 CR. Supercharger spec'ed cam and probably 12lbs of boost off of my existing Vortech. How would you build the motor and what all would you do to it during the build? Also, what other items should I upgrade at the same time?
I am assuming you are going to do a complete new shortblock. Obviously you will want forged internals to start with. If you have a v3 vortech 12psi might be pushing it on a 426. But assuming you will be running that much one way or another give some research into what kind of rings you're going to run and how large of a gap. You will get differing opinions on ARP head and mains, I would at least do the mains since they are not easily changeable later.

Also a 426 with that much boost will probably require an upgraded driveline. Axles as well if you plan on racing.

·
Vendor
5,689 Posts
Give us a call if you have a moment and we can go over the entire engine specs/options and build process to ensure you get exactly what you want out of your car. There are various options depending on what budget and end goals you have, and we can help you with every step of it.

888-SPD-LOGX

We also have some really cool new engine things happening that I haven't announced yet but would be great for your build!!

Speedlogix

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
well i have to ask how did you blow it????

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have to ask how did you blow it????

Stock 6.1 with 8lbs of boost. Thought everything would be safe at those levels, but I guess my motor was a lemon. I only had the Vortech on the motor for 500 miles and it popped.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am assuming you are going to do a complete new shortblock. Obviously you will want forged internals to start with. If you have a v3 vortech 12psi might be pushing it on a 426. But assuming you will be running that much one way or another give some research into what kind of rings you're going to run and how large of a gap. You will get differing opinions on ARP head and mains, I would at least do the mains since they are not easily changeable later.

Also a 426 with that much boost will probably require an upgraded driveline. Axles as well if you plan on racing.
I am flexible on the boost. I was also told that the stock V3 can't handle the 12 psi, so that may also be off the drawing board for now anyway. I definitely want a motor built for reliability, so forged is what I am going after. What about fuel upgrades? I have the 4891574AD fuel injectors now that I upgraded with my Vortech. Would I need to upgrade those as well? What fuel pump(s)?

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
You will need to upgrade your fuel system if you are looking at the 700rwhp range. Take a look at the fore fuel hat. It comes in double and triple pump configurations.

Just keep in mind that when you start talking about a supercharged 426 (especially at higher boost) there are many things which you will need to think about that you didn't when you just had the v3 on a stock motor.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
MS sounds like a great upgrade. Do you plan to do the install yourself? That has a lot to do with the ideas of the build.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MS sounds like a great upgrade. Do you plan to do the install yourself? That has a lot to do with the ideas of the build.

I'll probably pull my own motor, but I haven't decided on whether I will install it myself. I don't know of any shops in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that specialize in Hemi's. I am probably going to run Billet Mains just because I don't want to have to pull the motor again. It seems like cheap security for me at this point.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
I just sold a 69 Camaro SS pro touring. I plan on buying another in the spring. Call Arrington get you a 426 ready to go drop you SC on it and be done. They have engines in stock order on Monday install on Friday. If not you will be waiting for months for the engine and machine shops.

·
Premium Member
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
M.S. were you using the stock tune. ? Do you know what A/F you had or are you using a wide band. ? Alot can happen inside a tune.
I would look into R.D.P. Dyno Steve. Helped me alot and after looking into his web site hes got the goods, what a good tuner.
Fuel system is a must, dont fall for the snake oil. BW knows this as well, got mine from him in the nick of time for the forum wars, not a fore but is duel pumps.
If you use a Hobbs switch for anything, get the adjustable set for 2.0 lbs Honeywell make a good one sold at NAPA 28 bucks. If you used the one that came with the vortech, that might be why it went boom. They suck. Mine didnt come in until I had 10lbs on it. So I switched. PM me if you need part no.
Good Luck with the build.
FT

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Stock caps will be sufficient up to 1000hp no problem. In fact, Hemi-C runs 1200rwhp with stock main caps and stock main bolts. I typically dont recomend billet caps unless going over 1000hp. The ARP main studs are only $150 and are cheap insurance and should be considered, but they are not a requirement.

With the V-3, you might want to keep the compression a little higher since you will be limited to 8psi roughly. If a larger blower is in the works, then the compression could be dropped down a little.

It was good talking with you tonight. I will send over the info tomorrow that we discussed.

·
Vendor
5,689 Posts
Just for clarification, you can run more than 8psi with the V-3 ... we saw 9.5psi with just a pulley change on the supercharger.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
you will be limited to 8psi roughly.
Just for clarification, you can run more than 8psi with the V-3 ... we saw 9.5psi with just a pulley change on the supercharger.
Hence the reason I said "roughly". You cant make a blanket statement that a 426 will see 9.5psi with a Vortech v3. There are too many other variables. Small cam and stock heads with oem exhaust might see 11psi on a 426. Big cam, ported heads, longtubes, catback might see 6psi. 8psi is a good average number that should be close.

Also, are you talking about a 426 or a 6.1?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Ouch, 500 miles and pop.

More info please, was it a custom tune or did you use the kit tune? Were you using 91 or 93 octane or did you get bad gas. Did it happen at the track? I thought the Vortech was the one of the safest out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:bigthumb:
Ouch, 500 miles and pop.

More info please, was it a custom tune or did you use the kit tune? Were you using 91 or 93 octane or did you get bad gas. Did it happen at the track? I thought the Vortech was the one of the safest out there.

It was a custom tune by a popular vendor on here. I was using 93 octane and it popped from a roll on the street. The custom tune was supposed to be very conservative. I personally believe that the Vortech, with the canned tune, is one of the safest ones out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:werd:
Stock caps will be sufficient up to 1000hp no problem. In fact, Hemi-C runs 1200rwhp with stock main caps and stock main bolts. I typically dont recomend billet caps unless going over 1000hp. The ARP main studs are only $150 and are cheap insurance and should be considered, but they are not a requirement.

With the V-3, you might want to keep the compression a little higher since you will be limited to 8psi roughly. If a larger blower is in the works, then the compression could be dropped down a little.

It was good talking with you tonight. I will send over the info tomorrow that we discussed.
Thanks Andy! It was good talking to you. I appreciate you going over all of my options and putting me on the right track. I feel really good about what needs to be done now. I'll be getting back with you as soon as I get back from my business trip. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts