Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local dealer has a 2010 R/T with 6 speed stick and the small hemi, it seems pretty loaded. Leather, srteering wheel controlled big memory stereo with NO sub amp. Dealer installed fakey shaker hood, cat back, airraid cai, predator programmer. The salesman said "super trac pack" installed here (at the dealer)?? It has the five spoke twenty inch wheels and is beautiful in deepwater blue with the black R/T stripes. I drove it and am hooked.

My questions:

What is a fair price? They have it marked up ($10K in dealer upgrades) to $49,000. The salesman said they would take forty without blinking an eye. It is litterally sitting covered in bird dung and dust on the back of the lot.

What does the SRT have that this one most likely does not? This car will be a driver and kept forever. So, things that are important to a driver that are not on this car will lead me to search for another car that is an SRT. But if there is not too much difference, maybe I could be satisfied with the R/T

I live in the country and will have to drive this car on six miles of gravel road every time I leave the house. I have a crewcab Silverado for work and inclimate weather, and this car will be garaged. What would you do (short of moving) to decrease the damage from the gravel road on this car?

Pardon my lack of knowledge about this car. I had no intention of getting a new car- and then I drove one...

Thanks, Darksky

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Sit down and spend an afternoon reading past threads on these forums. Tons of information to absorb, and even more opinions. R/T or SRT, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been reading and agree that these are phenomenal cars. I just can't get to the decision on this modded R/T versus an SRT on my own. From what I can see the big differences are:
bigger hemi, better brakes
I can't determine if the suspension is different and if so, how much different. Can just a sway bar upgrade make the two comprable?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
First off welcome to the forum. Unless someone changed the engine all RTs have a small Himi (5.7) That's 345 CID but small compaired to 6.1 or 6.4.
I don't know how much the hood is worth but the others stuff don't add up to 10K. Factory track pack was a $400 option. You can most likely get a SRT for that price if you wanted. Some people use them as dailly drivers but I you might want to stick with the RT but maybe not that one.
I know that they have mud flaps that mold real nice to the body but I don't think it will protect the body from dailly gravel roads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also really like the aftermarket (little larger) trunk spoiler. But would feel wrong about swapping it out on an SRT car as it is part of it's badging.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Tell them goodbye, and look around. R/T's were running $6K-$8K below MSRP when I bought mine last week. They're trying to add a few odds and ends that cost a couple K and mark it up $10K over MSRP, and waiting on the right person.

Don't be that person.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Do not buy the R/T for 40K, there are plenty of SRT's on the lot you can get for the same money.

SRT compared to the R/T just off the top of my head, better suspension, better cooling, better brakes, better seats, no mds, 180 mph speedo with no governor, EVIC that tracks 0 to 60 mph time, 1/8th time, 1/4 mile time, g forces and braking distance, forged lightweight wheels.

Oh yea, more mod friendly HP.

If you are open to buying used, a low mileage SRT can be had for low to mid 30's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off welcome to the forum. Unless someone changed the engine all RTs have a small Himi (5.7) That's 345 CID but small compaired to 6.1 or 6.4.
I don't know how much the hood is worth but the others stuff don't add up to 10K. Factory track pack was a $400 option. You can most likely get a SRT for that price if you wanted. Some people use them as dailly drivers but I you might want to stick with the RT but maybe not that one.
I know that they have mud flaps that mold real nice to the body but I don't think it will protect the body from dailly gravel roads.
Thanks for the welcome. The car I am looking at has the 5.7. Yes mud flaps are a necessity to minimize rock chips. I am wondering about something like Rhino lining the whole undercarriage.

I think that $40K should get me close to a 2010 SRT as well. There surely is one sitting somewhere. Someone at the dealer said the 2011 are going to be a little cheaper at baseline and I know the engine is bigger. But the dealers will want to move the 2010s. I am not sure what to do. I would hate to miss out on something special in an attempt to save a few bucks. I just don't know enough about them yet, so I am turning to you guys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tell them goodbye, and look around. R/T's were running $6K-$8K below MSRP when I bought mine last week. They're trying to add a few odds and ends that cost a couple K and mark it up $10K over MSRP, and waiting on the right person.

Don't be that person.
I agree completely. I am not in any hurry to give them a dime. If he said $40 without being asked, I am sure they will go lower. What is fair for the R/T I described?

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
911 Posts
That dealer is on crack. If you are going to drop $40k, by all means do the SRT. Bigger engine, bigger brakes, better seats, better exhaust at a minimum. You can likely get the SRT cheaper than $40k if you look around.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That dealer is on crack. If you are going to drop $40k, by all means do the SRT. Bigger engine, bigger brakes, better seats, better exhaust at a minimum. You can likely get the SRT cheaper than $40k if you look around.
What is the difference in the seats? The ones I sat on were leather with tucked (tubes for lack of a better description) down the centers. The interior struck me as quite nice.

As far as the exhaust, what is different? I realize the engines are different sizes, but with the stainless aftermarket catback system is there much difference?

·
Registered
911 Posts
The seats are completely different and the ones in the SRT are fantastic (in my opinion). Here's a REAL big thing that I would be considering: Re-Sale value. You will take it much harder financially in the event you need to sell the car for unforseen reasons. On resale, the R/T will be nothing more than an R/T with some add ons and will be no where near the value of the SRT.

In addition, the SRT will have all of the goodies and still be good across the board as far as warranty is concerned. Although the selling dealer will likely provide you full warranty as they are selling you the car, if you have to have it serviced elsewhere, they may not honor it. Plus, what if they blow away the predator tune? Have the handheld near by?

In your case, it is a no brainer....SRT all the way.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have been looking to buy a R/T for a month now pricing everything, What you are looking at there you could get all day long for low 30's + the 6 speeds are going even cheaper

Here is a brand new 2010 SRT beautiful car 38,000

Cars for Sale: 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 in Chicago, IL 60659: Coupe Details - 270758347 - AutoTrader.com
Right on. What are you planning on paying for your R/T?

Bought this last week 2009 with 5000 miles.....27,500

·
Registered
911 Posts
For the exhaust, I have not yet ridden in a Challenger with an aftermarket exhaust. My experience with them in other cars is pretty extensive though and what I personally don't like about aftermarkets is the drone while going down the road. The SRT in stock for does not drone and the exhaust note is music to my ears. I don't know if the R/T in question drones while going down the highway but if it does, that gets old real quick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with everyone else - get the SRT. Its not hard to find them in the upper $30s. If you're in love with that particular car, consider this. A fully loaded R/T (which the one you looked at was not) was $41000 for 2010. The big options you're missing on the one you drove are navigation and interior appearance package, about $2000 for both. The original sticker for that car was probably around $38-39k. Maybe he put $2k into it bringing it back to around $41k. Considering the deals going around on 2010s, I think $34-35k is a fair price for that car if its the one you really want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It looks like the SRT is winning me over. I just wondered about the differences in driving and owning one versus the other.No big surprise. Re-sale is not a huge consideration for me as I will keep it until the wheels fall off. The 2009 for $27,500 sounds like a smokin' deal. I need to getr to the dealership and sit in a SRT and compare the interior. I was impressed with the cockpit in the R/T- the leather was sharp, so the SRT must be amazing.

"On resale, the R/T will be nothing more than an R/T with some add ons and will be no where near the value of the SRT" - This is what I assumed as well.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
if your in that price range anyways it makes no sense to consider anything other than a SRT....get the 392 or pay $10k less and get a 2010 srt leftover for $35k

i wouldnt pay $40k for a mod'd RT right now.....i think this guy saw you coming....good thing your too smart to sign on the spot

spend $46k and get a 2011 392 or $35k and get a 2010 SRT

1 - 20 of 53 Posts