Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new exhaust system for my year-round daily driver.

I do not like a high-pitched, NASCAR-sounding exhaust tone with lots of bark. Instead, I prefer a smoother, much deeper muscle-car sound. I also can't tolerate drone, so any system that drones a lot will automatically be disqualified.

I've listened to many systems online and a few more in person. Based on my sound preference and my budget, I have narrowed it down to either Solo or MBRP. It seems that Solo gets a lot of nods on here, but MBRP seems to have a deeper tone, which I prefer.

Anyone have first-hand experience with both or either on a 5.7? Please chime-in.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've heard both in person. The MBRP is louder than the Solo system for sure. In terms of drone, I can only comment on the Solo system, as my buddy has one in his 2010 R/T Auto. The Solo exhaust has some slight drone with MDS, but otherwise it's fine. Personally, I would go for the MBRP system.

·
Registered
474 Posts
If this is important to you, there are more tip options with Solo than I think you have with MBRB and some other systems. I have never heard the MBRB system in person but it sounds nice on the clip they have on their web site. Due to the way the tail pipe sections connect to the muffler section on the Solo system you can get the pipes centered left to right / up and down in the cut outs in the rear bumper. So many pics of other systems show the tips not being centered and one tail pipe or another hanging lower on one side or the other. With patience you can get the Solo dead nuts correct – maybe you can with the other systems but I have no first had experience with them. On my 6.1 6sp there was no drone but you do hear the exhaust. Some say this exhaust or that is “louder” than Solo. If that is the case then they would be too loud for me because the Solo screams at moderate to WOT. Again, considering my 6.1 6sp, there is flutter – not as bad as some exhaust and worse than others based on clips on the internet. It appears Magnaflow does not have flutter but I do not think it is as aggressive under moderate or WOT as Solo.

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Solo straight pipes on mine. No drone no flutter. My friend has mbrp. It sounds ok to. I think when it comes down to it ,it's six of one ,half dozen of another. Price would be the only other factor

·
Registered
329 Posts
MBRP...love the system, sounds awesome.

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are priced very similarly. I think MBRP is deeper, may be a tad louder at idle and while cruising, and doesn't bark. Solo has many fans and seems to be drone-free.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
MBRP also has no drone if you order it with the "cool duals" which are adjustable (much like the J-pipes Solo has). I personally would go with MBRP simply because I prefer a deeper, more throaty note. The Solo will be quieter and have rasp to it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any clips... I could try to record one this weekend if you are waiting to pull the trigger. After having the system for 6 months last weekend I heard the system on the outside of the car for the first as my wife drove up the street and it made me smile lol its a great system with no drone (MDS disabled). I also bought it for $800 so that helped too lol

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately I don't have any clips... I could try to record one this weekend if you are waiting to pull the trigger. After having the system for 6 months last weekend I heard the system on the outside of the car for the first as my wife drove up the street and it made me smile lol its a great system with no drone (MDS disabled). I also bought it for $800 so that helped too lol
Would love to hear it. I run a 6spd manual, so the drone in my scenario is probably much less than it would be for an auto-driver. (I honestly can't imagine driving this car every day with an auto---:thumbsup:)

MBRP also has no drone if you order it with the "cool duals" which are adjustable (much like the J-pipes Solo has). I personally would go with MBRP simply because I prefer a deeper, more throaty note. The Solo will be quieter and have rasp to it.
I'll research the cool duals. Yeah, I prefer deep and throaty versus raspy. I'd go with Zoomers but it's just too loud for me and my needs, and I gather that MBRP is almost as deep but not nearly as loud.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Would love to hear it. I run a 6spd manual, so the drone in my scenario is probably much less than it would be for an auto-driver. (I honestly can't imagine driving this car every day with an auto---:thumbsup:)

I'll research the cool duals. Yeah, I prefer deep and throaty versus raspy. I'd go with Zoomers but it's just too loud for me and my needs, and I gather that MBRP is almost as deep but not nearly as loud.
I hear ya man, if I were you I'd go with MBRP too. As much as Zoomers people loving Zoomers, it is a bit loud for most people. You may want to look into the Magnaflow Competition series exhaust, very deep and throaty but not too loud. I've heard mixed reviews on drone, some say it does, some say it don't.

·
Registered
699 Posts
DJ Hemi.. If you had to drive where I do every day, in and around Houston traffic...constany stop n go...youd understand why I drive an auto. Good luck on the exhaust decision....youve been pondering almost ad long ads me...for now I'm sticking with stock. The.n it will either be corsa extreme or solo.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I recently put on a Solo catback exhaust. I have a 6-speed but I ordered the kit with the j-pipes which is marketed for the auto so that you can tune out drone. The reason I did that was because I plan on changing out the headers and cats down the road. When you start changing that much, there is potential to introduce drone. So I'll have some adjustability if needed.

The sound is great. I had a cop follow me and pull up at a stoplight. He asked about my system. Then told me to rev it up. So I did and he commented on how much he liked it. Cars all around were a little...confused I think. Not a day has gone by without someone commenting on the sound and looks (I went with quad round tips).

Main thing is that you have to like it. It's really subjective. The adjustability of the Solo is what sold me. That and the fact that it sounds good at normal driving conditions and screams at WOT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I just bought the Corsa Extreme for my Shaker

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Not supposed to have any drone

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
My Solo has zero rasp. Its also not that quiet. Its louder than a Corsa Xtreme at idle and WOT, and just milder than FM super 40s at idle (and much louder at WOT).

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DJ Hemi.. If you had to drive where I do every day, in and around Houston traffic...constany stop n go...youd understand why I drive an auto. Good luck on the exhaust decision....youve been pondering almost ad long ads me...for now I'm sticking with stock. The.n it will either be corsa extreme or solo.
Brother, I live in Northern Virginia, one of the most traffic-clogged areas of the country. It sometimes takes me 35 minutes to drive the 3.5 miles to my office. Stop-n-go is a way of life, and I still wouldn't consider a Challenger with an auto. Just me, I guess, but the manual is way, way, way more fun and engaging. haha

I thought about Corsa, but it's more money than I care to spend on a catback and the tone is not deep enough.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I recently put on a Solo catback exhaust. I have a 6-speed but I ordered the kit with the j-pipes which is marketed for the auto so that you can tune out drone. The reason I did that was because I plan on changing out the headers and cats down the road. When you start changing that much, there is potential to introduce drone. So I'll have some adjustability if needed.

The sound is great. I had a cop follow me and pull up at a stoplight. He asked about my system. Then told me to rev it up. So I did and he commented on how much he liked it. Cars all around were a little...confused I think. Not a day has gone by without someone commenting on the sound and looks (I went with quad round tips).

Main thing is that you have to like it. It's really subjective. The adjustability of the Solo is what sold me. That and the fact that it sounds good at normal driving conditions and screams at WOT.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Nice.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hear ya man, if I were you I'd go with MBRP too. As much as Zoomers people loving Zoomers, it is a bit loud for most people. You may want to look into the Magnaflow Competition series exhaust, very deep and throaty but not too loud. I've heard mixed reviews on drone, some say it does, some say it don't.
Yeah, I definitely love the Magnaflow tone, but I just don't want to spend over $800-$900 on exhaust. I chose to draw a line in the sand, so to speak, and not exceed $900 max on this project. And the setup with Solo or MBRP seems like a better value based on my self-imposed budget.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
I have a 2013 RT 6M with Solo and I am happy with the sound. Loud as you could want it to be at WOT, quiet at cruise and minimal drone, I am not using J Pipes. I may get them in the future to silence the drone i do get. Fit and finish was perfect, install was easy. I work with a bunch of car guys and I get compliments all the time on the sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 36 Posts