Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok here are the parameters:
2010 SRT8 auto
Already has Mopar CAI
Corsa Extreme Cat-back
Predator 91 Octane tune

This is a daily driver so reliability is a MUST!

I don't want nitrous even though that would be the cheapest way to go.

Let's hear your ideas on a good reliable package that will get me in the 550's RWHP. If you have approximate costs and stages that is even better!

Thanks all

EDIT: 550 is personal goal, over 500 is target. Money is always a concern so cheaper is better but the goal is reliability, quality, and long term operation.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
High compression 426, ported tb

·
Premium Member
8,295 Posts
What is your budget? You can get there with a blower only, but I wouldn't suggest that route if you want long term reliability, if you are willing to give up a little up, you can add a blower and easily have 500 at the wheels, and that can even be done with a drivetrain warranty if you go through a shop like ours and choose magnachrger or vortech. If you truly want 550+ w reliability I would suggest a forged 6.1 with your choice of supercharger, that will be a great daily driver, and also be very reliable as well. This goes back to my first question if budget. The other option would be to do a high comp 426 or 440 that will put you close to your goal...more likely 525-530 though...

Blower only 5k-7.5 k depending on which supercharger system.
Forged short block + sc 3-4k for short block + 5-7k for blower.
426/440 long block 8-12k depending on options

Then you have incidentals, the blower only will be lowest in labor and "extra" costs

Feel free to pm or call us if you have specific questions

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Super Charger
Pro charger or KB. 520-560 rwhp
Maggie 470-500
Did you just put the pro charger and KB ahead of your Maggie? LOL
Tout

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! Edited original post a bit too. No one mentioned ballpark numbers for their suggestions and/or pros and cons of going a certain direction.

I really appreciate all the guidance!

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
The maggie is a good safe SC even on non forged engines, just keep the 6 lbs boost level, you can even get a warranty.
Tout

·
Banned
664 Posts
What is your budget? You can get there with a blower only, but I wouldn't suggest that route if you want long term reliability,
So you are saying the 6 pound Vortech and magnacharger you sell are not long term reliable? What has happened to cars you know of to make that statement, running those set ups?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
Did you just put the pro charger and KB ahead of your Maggie? LOL
Tout
yea what he said.
You won't get 550rwhp but you'll be close and safe.
Thats 2 Kenne Bell Guys telling you to buy a Maggie pay attention!
If you want a Kenne Bell and really want 550rwhp, build your motor first.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
yea what he said.
You won't get 550rwhp but you'll be close and safe.
Thats 2 Kenne Bell Guys telling you to buy a Maggie pay attention!
If you want a Kenne Bell and really want 550rwhp, build your motor first.
x2 you can't use the KB like it is meant on a stock engine. But you can run it with a safe 6psi and it will grow with you. The maggie is smaller and will not make as much power if you do a build later and want gobs of power. It really boils down to what you want in the future, back your plan down to 500 rwhp with out doing the engine. Thats 575 or so crank netting you fairly solid 150 hp gain

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Back your goal down to 500RWHP if you don't wanna go in to the motor. Then drop a Maggie on there and you're good.

More than 7lbs of boost and you better double your budget and plan on getting a built motor then you have a lot more options. My motor is forged, stroked to a 6.0L, Maggie with 12lbs of boost and I'm about 550 - 570 RWHP (600 ft/lbs of torque!). Arrington did my setup and I chose them because they had a proven package. The power plant in my car is very similar to the one in the Petty Edition Challengers that Arrington provides the motors for.

It's a blast to drive, but it can be a handful.

Where are you located? The shop that will do the work will have a large bearing on what I'd recommend. You want something the shop has experience with.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'm at 500RWHP with the KB at 8lbs. About 4-5k miles with the KB. the only problem I've experienced is a power steering failure, not sure if its connected to the KB, but I never experienced it before then

I too wanted over 500RWHP but Adam at Spankin time could only manage 500RWHP with 8lbs. I'm sure we could have upped the boost but then the engine would be compromised greatly. even at 8lbs some guys say its not safe. It all depends on how you drive your car. Mine is a complete DD, but whenever I wanna have fun I have that option. An expensive option but one I have none the less.

GL

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really appreciate all the advice so far! Let's see if I am following the different options:

1) Maggie - pros - no motor work should be right around 500HP, good safe solution; cons - anything else will need motor work and the maggie won't grow much more
2) 426/440 - pros - get to stay NA and lots of cubic inches and don't need to worry if I want to grow; cons - cost
3) KB - pros - will have plenty of boost to grow; cons - will be tempted to turn it up and risk the engine

Currently leaning towards #2 then have the ability to get really crazy later, but starting with a good well built bottom end.

What about heads/cams combo? I know not at 500-550 range but thinking about mixing that with #1.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I really appreciate all the advice so far! Let's see if I am following the different options:

1) Maggie - pros - no motor work should be right around 500HP, good safe solution; cons - anything else will need motor work and the maggie won't grow much more
2) 426/440 - pros - get to stay NA and lots of cubic inches and don't need to worry if I want to grow; cons - cost
3) KB - pros - will have plenty of boost to grow; cons - will be tempted to turn it up and risk the engine

Currently leaning towards #2 then have the ability to get really crazy later, but starting with a good well built bottom end.

What about heads/cams combo? I know not at 500-550 range but thinking about mixing that with #1.
With a blower you don't really need heads but a good blower cam will add a few ponies pretty easy.

The problem becomes the stock bottom end though. How far are you comfortable pushing it?

It can only handle so much boost (7psi IMO) and so much horse power (525RWHP IMO).

If you do a 426 or a 440 be sure to talk to your engine guy about boost if you think you want that to be an option down the road. Typically you don't want to boost a big stroker due to longevity issues.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Also when you build a engine you will need to have the correct compression for what your plan is for the future.
Best N/A 10.1-10.5
Best boosted is 9.5
So a N/A engine at 9.5 will not make near the power
N/A engine at 10.5 will be bad to put a S/C on later.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts