Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
if I buy a procharger for my 2012 SRT, I know tuning is required. But if I take it to a local dyno and have it dyno tuned, will I even need my own diablo at all after that? I mean once its dyno tuned, its done for life, right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
You will still need your Diablo tuner that is how the tune is loaded to the car, The tuner will use your handheld to get the job done.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You have 2 options,

1) A professional dyno tune that replaces your stock tune with a custom one.
2) A handheld that STORES the stock tune and put in a semi-custom one.

#1 is generally the best BUT, if you ever take your car in to a dealer and they reflash it, your tune is TOAST unless your tuner keeps it and reflashed your old tune back.

The handheld, you can restore the stock tune yourself, take it in for whatever and then put your own tune back in.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
if I buy a procharger for my 2012 SRT, I know tuning is required. But if I take it to a local dyno and have it dyno tuned, will I even need my own diablo at all after that? I mean once its dyno tuned, its done for life, right?

You will need a safe SC tune to even start it once the SC is installed (not WOT, just safe partial throttle timing and A/Fs). Then have the WOT parameters tweaked for highest efficiency on the rollers to ensure you don’t run out of fuel pump and cause a lean condition. You will need a tuner to do both.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well thanks yall. I was tryin to save a buck and buy the cheaper procharger kit with no tuner, oh well. Ill start and break it in, then drive her to the dyno

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Getting the safe everyday driving tune is the important one IMO. You can always prevent WOT but you can't prevent partial throttle.
I think you'll find the tuner handy as not knowing what your traction issues may be, you'll probably want to change the rear tires and may need to change your tire diameters or your fan settings.
Are you planning on more than 6 Lbs of boost? May want to consider pistons as the stockers have been breaking ring lands like crazy in the hot south.
Dropping the CR to under 10:1 and running pistons with >.040" distance from top ring to piston top seems to be the way to get the most power (boost) out of the 6.4s.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on getting a d1 head, but only running 6lbs on current engine. I work at a junkyard so im looking for a 392 block. Once I find one, ill build it up forged for lots of boost. I reckon ill get the diablo with the prokit and still may upgrade to a trinity after fact.

·
Premium Member
2,890 Posts
You have 2 options,

1) A professional dyno tune that replaces your stock tune with a custom one.
2) A handheld that STORES the stock tune and put in a semi-custom one.

#1 is generally the best BUT, if you ever take your car in to a dealer and they reflash it, your tune is TOAST unless your tuner keeps it and reflashed your old tune back.

The handheld, you can restore the stock tune yourself, take it in for whatever and then put your own tune back in.

Even with a Dyno tune you still need to have a handheld!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts