Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Might sound like a rookie mistake but I had debadged the 'DODGE' emblem off of a 2017 challenger. After taking it off i made the mistake of using Goof Off on the excess adhesive that was left over and now it looks as if the goof off has ate away at the plastic. The black plastic looks hazy and faded, and the residue of where it ran down the plastic is permanently "stuck". I tried using turtle wax and it didn't do anything. Please help it's bugging me to bits

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
You could try the Novus 7100 kit with a DA polisher with 3" foam pad or a buffer pad that attaches to a drill. start with #1 and see how that does but you may have to use #2 fine scratch remover if the haze remains. If you do use #2 or #3 always finish with the #1 to finish up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UCYRZU/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Reactions: 73RallyeJA5

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Oh man, I feel your pain. Wish you had asked us how to debadge before. In any case, a good plastic polish should clean that up. As mentioned above, also http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/g12310-plastx-clear-plastic-cleaner-polish/ should do it. You can do this by hand with a soft applicator if you don't have a buffer. Something like DI Microfiber Applicator Pad - Circle | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image. Takes some time, but should shine up nicely.

A Guy
So I am thinking of changing out the Dodge letters ,,what is the best way to remove
them without the above problems,or any damage ,, thanks

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all your answers, I'll try buying a plastic polishing kit. Just wondering, did the goof off haze my plastic or does it seem to be scratched/eaten away? Hazing sounds more comfortable than the other 2..

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
I suspect it has just put a coating on it, not degraded it. People use goof off on plastic all the time, yours just happened to have a piano black gloss on it. Let us know how it goes. BTW, welcome to Challengertalk ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
537 Posts
Just a question...., and I'm on board with "it's your car, do what you want", but I have to ask why would someone want to take the "DODGE" letters off the back of their car? Just curious. :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Just a question...., and I'm on board with "it's your car, do what you want", but I have to ask why would someone want to take the "DODGE" letters off the back of their car? Just curious. :scratchhead:
I like the letters but I am looking to change them out ( photo ) the Sublime looks killer on the black glass
IMO ,,,, Speedlogix a Vendor here sells them in OEM colors and they are billet ,

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
762 Posts
Chrome letters on gloss black doesn't appeal to everyone, IMO the chrome letters don't compliment the car. We all bought Dodges so nothing wrong with "DODGE". Crappy photo but I opted to replace the chrome letters with a subtle Scat Pack decal.

Attachments

Reactions: TorRed Jim

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
762 Posts
I used a heat gun to soften the adhesive the gently pulled the letters off.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had a similar experience, but what happened was there was so much sticky residue, the goofoff spread the residue around vs cleaning it up. So it looked scratched. It took a bit, but I cleaned it all off and looked good as new.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I took my DODGE letters off, when applying a clear bra there. That area scratches so easily

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I did the exact same thing! I was horrified thinking I just ruined that $1200 rear light assembly. You have to replace the entire thing. I used a clearcoat rubbing compound, it worked okay. Someone suggested this product, but I have not tried it yet.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
It looks good IMHO. I'm 100% debadged. The gloss piano black looks good. Saw a Mustang with the horse removed, bigger gloss piano black panel looked real good. Personal opinion, like everything

008.jpg

A Guy

·
Registered
537 Posts
It looks good IMHO. I'm 100% debadged. The gloss piano black looks good. Saw a Mustang with the horse removed, bigger gloss piano black panel looked real good. Personal opinion, like everything

View attachment 838665

A Guy
You're funny..... You de-badged your car then re-badged it on your tag...... To each his own I guess. Enjoy your Challenger... Wait, is it a Challenger or a Charger?, I can't tell because it doesn't say !! :surprise: Just mess'n with ya.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
No, it wasn't about not saying what brand or model it is, it's about chrome letters. I wanted the California legacy plate, imagine a big white rectangle there if it's the stock plate. Personalized costs the same as sequential, so of course personalized. All my first choices were not available, so 2016 SXT was a good choice. It wasn't about badging, it was about the legacy plate, and I didn't/don't care if everyone knows it's a SXT. I am what I am. If you like chrome Dodge letters there, more power to ya. A Guy

Reactions: sdr2711

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
No, it wasn't about not saying what brand or model it is, it's about chrome letters. I wanted the California legacy plate, imagine a big white rectangle there if it's the stock plate. Personalized costs the same as sequential, so of course personalized. All my first choices were not available, so 2016 SXT was a good choice. It wasn't about badging, it was about the legacy plate, and I didn't/don't care if everyone knows it's a SXT. I am what I am. If you like chrome Dodge letters there, more power to ya. A Guy
A Guy is very meticulous about his paint, so much so that he turned the whole car into a black hole so that even light wouldn't reflect off it and scratch it.

>:)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,771 Posts
Do you really want to talk to me about paint issues? :D

A Guy

1 - 20 of 38 Posts