Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have at 2010 rt no problems at all. The last two weeks everytime I look at the trunk it has popped open. I did have a remote start installed at the time of delivery but have had the car for 10 months with no problems. Any ideas??

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
There has been others talking about this before. Most have attributed it to tight blue jeans tripping the buttons on your fob when you bend over.

·
Registered
180 Posts
As much fun as these answers have been..... does this happen before, after or during a drive? It could be an alignment thing or more possibly the latch is hanging up a bit. I would start with a little silicone spray lube and then look at the emergency release tab..maybe someone pulled on it while checking your car out to see what it was and it's hung up a little. Give it a couple of snap pulls and see what happens.

My 2 cents
steve

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
Providing the key fob hasn't been pressed unknowingly while in your pocket, some key fobs have deteriorated on the inside letting a small amount of graphite to cover the electrical contact inside of the key fob and thus activating the trunk open or rolling the windows down automatically without any interaction by the owner whatsoever. Some experiencing the same problem have opened the key fob case and cleaned the contacts with rubbing alcohol to solve the problem. Your dealer might replace the key fob for you if you ensure them it wasn't in your pocket when it happened.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Look at the buttons on the FOBS. They are raised up and you DO hit the buttons when they are in your pockets. It won't open out side your pockets. You might also drop your windows with the FOB in your pockets. And unlock your doors!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really appreciate everyone having fun at my own expense but the problem still persists. The car is not my daily driver and the keys have never gotten wet or anything like that. I am glad everyone had a good laugh and for all those you can go f yourself. I have a real problem and everyone just wants to bust my balls. Thanks to all with an actual intelligent idea.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
You need to lighten up a bit. Internet forums are playgrounds for humour at the expense of others. Even those that make light may have the answer you seek.

My suggestion would be to visit your dealer and share your problem with the Service MGR and ask him if he could assist. If he is not receptive find yourself a new dealer.

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
You need to lighten up a bit. Internet forums are playgrounds for humour at the expense of others. Even those that make light may have the answer you seek...
I agree with what you said, though IMO those that make light & have the answer, should be clear about providing it. It's apparent that the OP has a genuine concern & feels it hasn't been answered. I made light & while I don't have the answer, I'm partially guilty.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I really appreciate everyone having fun at my own expense but the problem still persists. The car is not my daily driver and the keys have never gotten wet or anything like that. I am glad everyone had a good laugh and for all those you can go f yourself. I have a real problem and everyone just wants to bust my balls. Thanks to all with an actual intelligent idea.
Since you said you don't drive it daily try pulling the batteries out of both key fobs and leave them out. If the problem persists then you know it isn't a fob issue. Then it's time to start looking at a short, a issue with the trunk release in the car, or some kind of interference that may be causing the issue.

·
Registered
177 Posts
"You need to lighten up a bit. Internet forums are playgrounds for humour at the expense of others. Even those that make light may have the answer you seek."

I agree, we're not here to bust your chops. We've got your back and I was serious about my fob activating in my pocket. A couple of weeks ago my co-worker called me to let me know my trunk lid was popped open. I need to either lose some weight or buy looser jeans. :guiness:

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
So true. In fact, we weren't having fun at your expense. Its just funny it happens. BTW, we are dead serious. Wash you car with your fob in your pocket. I guess it is so funny because it has happened to a lot of us. Really. But if you say it is happening without any intervention, then set up a scientific experiment like the poster above and document your case. It should be easy since you don't drive it every day. When you go to bed, check that the trunk is closed. Then, record the next time you see it open. Really, dude, we are serious and want to know what is happening so if it happens to us we can fix it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
This could be a long-shot, but do you or your neighbors have an electronic door opener on your garage door? Most key fobs operate in the 300 - 450MHz range and garage door openers operate in the 300 - 400MHz range. It's possible a remote garage door opener is popping your trunk, but unlikely.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've set the alarm/panic off(twice) with it in my pocket me in the house and the car in the garage. I came back from a three week work/business trip, uncovered my car and found the trunk open/ajar and my battery dead. Go figure. For the OP I would check the release button, and like someone else stated, check the latch.

With regard to F'n me, you wouldn't like it cause I'd just lay there and sweat on you.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
SERIOUSLY. Look at the fob buttons. They are raised. If you carry it in your pocket they depress very easily. The panic button is NOT raised so you don't hear of any one on here getting the panic alarm activated. Others have rolled down their windows, unlocked their doors and opened their trunks. I have opened my trunk bumping the arm on my work chair and opened my windows in the garage by having the fob in my pocket and sitting on the couch. Take it as bustin' your balls if you want, but I am telling you from MY experience SINCE YOU ASKED.

I have also read ON HERE that one guy started his car with remote start with his keys in his pocket.............

I had a Nissan Frontier and when I would get dressed and yanked up my pants I would set off the PANIC Alarm on that vehicle. I have locked and unlocked the doors on my wifes Jeep Grand Cherokee if I had the fob in my pocket changing the oil on a creeper. Nothing like the horn beeping in your ear while underneath it on the creeper and no one else around. So, yeah we're just having fun.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts