Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all - first post...

2010 SRT-8 6sp, 24k miles. 3 months out of warranty.

After a wash the hazard lights came on spontaneously. Clicking the hazard button twice (once 'in', once 'out') turns them off for 1-5 seconds then they turn back on. I've disconnected the battery in the hopes that whatever is malfunctioning will 'reset', but no luck.

Small issue that completely sidelines the car, can't drive around with the hazards on! Anyone tangle with this problem?

Thanks all - JL

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Did you wash the engine bay? if so it will probably quit when the water evaporates from whatever connection it's shorting. Leave the hood open overnight if possible.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome to CT...

hmmm.....after a wash eh?

Pop the hood and see if there are any water deposits left....might want to check the fuse box as well. Pull a couple and see if they're wet.

Do the turn signals work properly?

That's all I can think of off-hand, good luck, electrical problems are never fun

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
If it was under the hood water an air compressor would blow excess water away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the replies. It was washed by the dealership (freebie) so I'm not sure how much attention they paid to the engine bay.

I will park it in the sun and see if a drying out does the trick.

JL

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello all - first post...

2010 SRT-8 6sp, 24k miles. 3 months out of warranty.

After a wash the hazard lights came on spontaneously. Clicking the hazard button twice (once 'in', once 'out') turns them off for 1-5 seconds then they turn back on. I've disconnected the battery in the hopes that whatever is malfunctioning will 'reset', but no luck.

Small issue that completely sidelines the car, can't drive around with the hazards on! Anyone tangle with this problem?

Thanks all - JL
Sounds like there's some sort of aftermarket alarm preload installed, probably by the dealership before you purchased it. They leave the preload installed, even if you didn't buy their add-on alarm. They just don't install the siren, connect the horn, or starter interrupt. Sometimes when there's a power failure (ie: weak battery), the preload will come out of valet causing the alarm to activate. What will occur when this happens is exactly what you've described, the hazards will flash. To fix this, look under the dash for a small push button or toggle switch (which may have been knocked against by the car washer) to shut off at same time as turning ignition. Then, if you do find there is an alarm preload installed, have it completely removed so this never occurs again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts