Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, first off im new to the forums. I have been on this forums for a while know but never posted anything. Trying to be an active member now! Anyways, After couple of months of purchasing my 2011 challenger SE i noticed my paint cracking/webbing on my rear bumper. It has gotten a little bigger over time therefore im starting to get nervous. There isn't any impact scratched or anything around the bumper. Its just the crack! I went to the dealer and they said it has nothing to do with them (Figured they would say that). After doing research people said its a defect in the paint and/or clear coat and should be covered by warranty. What should i do?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Hey guys, first off im new to the forums. I have been on this forums for a while know but never posted anything. Trying to be an active member now! Anyways, After couple of months of purchasing my 2011 challenger SE i noticed my paint cracking/webbing on my rear bumper. It has gotten a little bigger over time therefore im starting to get nervous. There isn't any impact scratched or anything around the bumper. Its just the crack! I went to the dealer and they said it has nothing to do with them (Figured they would say that). After doing research people said its a defect in the paint and/or clear coat and should be covered by warranty. What should i do?
Impact damage - no doubt. Does not need to be any scratches or anything. Something hit the bumper and compressed the plastic, now it has rebounded the paint is cracking.

Not covered under warranty.

Expect about $600 to repaint the rear bumper from a body shop. $900 if Dodge do it for you.

Meant to add, I've seen it on 3 of my cars. All had an impact on the plastic bumper and all showed this exact thing. Some show it immediately after the impact, others have shown it a few months later, even after repainting. Had to get a body shop to repaint that one.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Nope. That has definitely been tapped. Impact damage is not covered by warranty but depending on your deductable - for NON MOVING incidents, you should be covered by insurance.
So long as you were not operating the car when the damage occurred it may be covered by your comprehensive.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Isnt paint meant to flex and not crack? Thanks for the quick and informative response btw!
Yes, it does flex due to limited thermal expansion and contraction, but it has limits, and those limits are easily crossed when the substrate (plastic bumper) gets slightly compressed during a low speed impact.

It looks from your photo that the damage is dead center, right above the licence plate. I'd wager someone reversed your car straight into something, like a car behind, when getting out a parking spot. Or vice-versa, of course, someone hit you in a low speed parking incident that left no immediate mark.

The photo just looks so like paint cracking due to an impact that it can't reasonably be anything else. If I were a Dodge dealer I'd be saying the same to you, and I'm not against you in anyway, and have no money in the issue. I'm not even a bodyshop expert, but I've seen it in my own vehicles several times (Toyota, Mini, and Dodge so it happens to them all). I know exactly where the minor bumper impacts occurred, and lo and behold the exact same paint cracking issue that you see.

In fact I could show you on my Challenger right now. An idiot in a truck hit my rear corner at about 1mph while I was stationary at a light and they were trying to squeeze by into another lane. There was no obvious damage but the next day I had minor cracking of the paint exactly at the impact point.

Which is also why I know what the body shop repair estimates are. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha, well I was hoping to hear it was a defective paint job! Anyways thanks for all your guys feedback! I will leave until it really starts to bug me. Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I will leave until it really starts to bug me. Thanks!!!
Which is exactly what I chose to do. Mine is not as noticeable as yours though. You have to really squint to see my cracks. In fact I don't think you'd see them if I took a photo.

But that may change in a few months or years. When they become obvious then I'll repair them. Or just wait until some other bad driver tries to get a little too cozy with my car at a light, and it'll be repaired anyway. Seems to be common in Houston.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Isnt paint meant to flex and not crack? Thanks for the quick and informative response btw!
Was probably cold out, someone backing out of a parking space I'd guess just touched it enough to compress it and figured they didn't do any damage. It's not a warrantee issue tho, paint will flex a little but everything will crack with the right pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts