Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I screwed up my engine cover paint job and need to remove the paint from the black plastic part and start over. :icon_evil: Anyone have recommendations? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Sandpaper... It will take awhile, but I would not use any chemical strippers, unless you know they won't react to plastic.

Mike

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
they make a plastic only paint stripper, you should contact a local bike shop, Ive used it when doing custom stuff for crotch rockets.. cant remember the manufactures

·
Registered
664 Posts
fine sand paper works great or you could use An old hobby trick that I do on plastic .... Dot 3 brake fluid. Also lighter fluid supposedly works, never tried that one. I can say the brake fluid one works awesome. Just paint it on or soak it a few minutes, and wipe away or use and old tooth brush too rake across any recessed areas that you can't easily wipe away with. Test first if possible like on the back section of the cover where you don't see, but it works great on model car parts, and they are surely a more delicate plastic.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the tips. I decided to use sand-paper in the areas that were messed up and then blended it all back together. It's hard to see the transition even if you know to look for it. I hope it withstands the test of time so we'll see and I'll post a pic when done. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts