Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car 2 weeks ago and I did not notice how worn the seat was already. It only has 3,500 miles (not 35,000).

I am not a real big guy 6' 200 lbs., so I have no problem getting in and out and find it very roomy. I do not know about the prior owner.

Any thoughts on how to stop this? Some coating of some sort?
. by Roger Isenhouer, on Flickr

Thanks!

Roger

·
Registered
747 Posts
Your only option is to cover it up. I have an used baby blanket over mine because it was around, but you can get a more color matching towel or "cheap" seat covers. Yes, it would sort of defeat the purpose of the leather seats and perhaps block the cooling if the seats are vented.

The leather used in cars are not like how it used to be. It gets cheaper with each redesign generation. FCA leather are better (IMO than Honda, Toyota, etc). I've seen even the Acuras going a step down too. Often time, the coating feels thicker than the actual cow skin. I'm talking about the leather surface, where it suppose to be leather.

Yes, my driver seat still looks great and that's only because I covered it.

·
Premium Member
9,370 Posts
How old is the car? Under factory warranty? If so make them replace it and if not an upholstery shop can change a section and make it look new again. Other than that enjoy the car and this forum.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This may be an opportunity to squeeze the dealership for a deal on Katzkin if that is something you may like more... If not, yes bring it back. They can only say no then a trim shop. I do know of one other person with a similar problem with that seat. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Yank on the seat to see if it wiggles or rocks, if it has movement you then know a big boy was the previous owner and put some major friction on that area getting in and out

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
its often jeans with rivets that can scrape the upholstery.

Especially for people that land against the seatback and slide down it into the seat.

I've seen a lot of leather seat bolsters in other cars with damage, while the rest is in good shape

·
Registered
188 Posts
its often jeans with rivets that can scrape the upholstery.

Especially for people that land against the seatback and slide down it into the seat.

I've seen a lot of leather seat bolsters in other cars with damage, while the rest is in good shape
Yes, this. I put my hand on the bolster as I slide past.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine is wearing as well. Tight garage and I squeeze in so not to ding old blue in the garage. When I do this I rub into the seat as I squeeze. That's my issue. It's a trade off...

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
From past experience with a different car, the exposed button on the back left pocket of a pair of slacks or shorts will do the same thing. I learned to unbutton all my back left pockets on my pants and the problem went away.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
If the car is still under b2b warranty, Id be getting a new seat. Ive done it before. These days the leather is crap, I'm not sure most of it is even leather anymore. Most of it looks like vinyl and wears terribly.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
You can tell a lot about a person by how they handle a door. The same can be said about how they sit in and get out of a car.

The two big things that ruin seats are torsion and ass-plopping.

Torsion is the twist people impose on the seat when they rotate to get out of the car. That's a killer on just about any material. Don't rotate.

Ass-plopping, as the name suggests, is the way people plop their ass onto the seat as opposed to lowering, gently, into the vehicle. The seat becomes a Landing Zone for their butt. No surprise it beats up a seat.

The other two (common) ways to ruin a seat is to drag your thigh over the outer bolster, giving it a good bump/abrasion every time you enter/exit. The other is to sit directly on the seating surface...if you want your seat to last, sit on a towel or other such go-between so the leather is not taking all the abuse.

Then, we have the biggest morons of all...PWD's. That's right - People With Dogs. Let's leave that for a whole other thread.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You can tell a lot about a person by how they handle a door. The same can be said about how they sit in and get out of a car.

The two big things that ruin seats are torsion and ass-plopping.

Torsion is the twist people impose on the seat when they rotate to get out of the car. That's a killer on just about any material. Don't rotate.

Ass-plopping, as the name suggests, is the way people plop their ass onto the seat as opposed to lowering, gently, into the vehicle. The seat becomes a Landing Zone for their butt. No surprise it beats up a seat.

The other two (common) ways to ruin a seat is to drag your thigh over the outer bolster, giving it a good bump/abrasion every time you enter/exit. The other is to sit directly on the seating surface...if you want your seat to last, sit on a towel or other such go-between so the leather is not taking all the abuse.

Then, we have the biggest morons of all...PWD's. That's right - People With Dogs. Let's leave that for a whole other thread.

to be fair these lower cars aren't always easy to get in and out either I'm a young guy with no issues and depending on where at times, it can be a challenge. I do give it some thought to not just jump in and out of cars and watch whats on my feet. But with that said its car I'm not dealing with towels and blankees and making an art of getting out of a car. End of the day buy a spare skin now when you can that way youll have it when the seat gets to bad.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I hear ya..but as with any machine, the human interface makes most of the difference. It takes just a little extra time/effort to enter and exit a vehicle in a manner that will save the seats.

As for towels...I use simple black towels on my seats and frankly it's more comfortable than the leather. There's something about terrycloth sliding on leather that makes for a good 'seating experience'. I also use a towel on the console lid so my greasy arm doesn't leave a smooth shiny spot.

You could buy new a cover but that's costly and unfortunately it doesn't address the issue of the seat foam which also gets a beating.

We also need a thread about people who have holes rubbed through their leather steering wheels....lol

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I hear ya..but as with any machine, the human interface makes most of the difference. It takes just a little extra time/effort to enter and exit a vehicle in a manner that will save the seats.

As for towels...I use simple black towels on my seats and frankly it's more comfortable than the leather. There's something about terrycloth sliding on leather that makes for a good 'seating experience'. I also use a towel on the console lid so my greasy arm doesn't leave a smooth shiny spot.

You could buy new a cover but that's costly and unfortunately it doesn't address the issue of the seat foam which also gets a beating.

We also need a thread about people who have holes rubbed through their leather steering wheels....lol

in general I don't care for leather I know I got the alcentra or alentra or whatever its called. Mainly got it for the looks and don't laugh hate to drive up somewhere and be the only car with cloth. But with that said I never get leather, leather is great for sweeping up, but in general I don't think it wear as good and frankly to me at least cloth feels better and handles the extreme cold and hot better as well. Last few trucks Ive had ive been very pleased with the seat material.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all.
It is a 2015 and I am the 2nd owner( bought it used from a Ford dealer) and have only driven it a few times so far. I have a 2006 Charger R/T with the road and track package and the seat starting cracking in one spot after 10 years. This one it only 3 years old and showing wear. I am careful about getting in and out. I love the red interior so I don't really want to cover it up.

I will stop in at the local Dodge dealer and see what they have to say.

Roger

·
Registered
947 Posts
Interior wear is always on my mind every time I'm in the car, esp getting in and out. GregCon got it right. I try to lift myself out of the seat without pivoting....pretty difficult to do. Even when driving, I'm always aware of how I'm holding the wheel or if I'm even using the armrests. It's a sickness.

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
Maybe it is your belt that is rubbing on it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts