Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a newbie at stick shift so I was wondering whether I can get my 2015 RT manual trans to display what gear I'm on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,051 Posts
I find I'm in 4th a lot in the city sometimes 5th if just cruising. As long as I'm moving I'll be in 2nd like in a slow turn. Parking lots usually 2nd. Most fun thing about this car is that wide open 2-3-4 blast through the gears, love this M6. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but you're talking about a 5 speed right? the 2015 i got is 6th so i assume the shift ratios are a little different.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is my first manual 6 speed. It does take some getting used to but after about a week you start getting used to it. I also often thought it would be nice to have some kind of indicator display showing what gear I'm in.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
704 Posts
Experienced manual users will know the gear they are actually in. There is a big ratio difference between any gears which are "forward" or those which are "back". No need for an electronic tattle tail.

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
532 Posts
Who cares what gear it is in? As long as you are not revving the engine to excess or lugging it to death!

Listen to the car, it will tell you what it needs and the location of the gear shift lever tells you the gear when you reach for the lever and which direction to go when it needs to be changed. It will all become second nature and a thoughtless process in no time. No gear tattle tale needed.

·
Registered
504 Posts
You'll get used to the sound and feeling to know when to shift. Also, looking at what revs on the tach I'm at vs the MPH on the speedo will tell me what gear I'm in. My challenger is an auto but on my motorcycle I use that method all the time. If I'm approaching a 90 degree right turn I want to go around in second, I am unable to put it straight into second since the gearbox is sequential so figuring out on the fly what gear I'm in will let me know how many clicks down.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Keep the radio off and as others have said listen, learn what your car likes. After a while it will be like ridding a bike, second nature.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Agreed on listening. The only time I use the shift light I set up on my Trinity is at the track, so I don't hit the rev limiter, although it has happened.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
113 Posts
Get used to being able to tell what gear it is in by the position of the shift lever. Even with the relatively short shifter it is pretty easy to tell what gear you are in just by feeling where the lever is at and there is no need to take your eyes off the road.

·
Registered
300 Posts
When your in neutral and let go of the stick it centers itself between 3rd and 4th.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts