Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in my car this morning and turned it on, and then I noticed the trunk open alert lit up... So I'm wondering now:

Last night, I got some stuff out of the trunk, and b/c I'm not into slamming the thing, I gently shut the trunk (or so I thought).

Sure, there's a slim chance my fingers hit the trunk release button on my key, as I unlocked the car on my way to it this morning...

But, more likely, I never completely shut the trunk last night.

This would mean the trunk was slightly ajar for 12 hours.

I ran a test after I discovered this. I noticed if the trunk latch is open (or not closed completely) there is still that little blue car lit up on the console which tells you the trunk is open. It didn't go off. I only waited a few minutes, so maybe it does eventually turn off after a while... or does it?

I also peered through the crack and noticed the trunk light remained on... Again, this test was only for a few minutes.

SO, I am wondering...

1) Do these 2 lights (the trunk open alert on the console and the actual trunk light) stay on the whole time while the trunk is open? In other words, could these 2 have been on for 12 hours?

I didn't notice if it was on as I got in the car. I didn't notice the trunk alert lit on the console as I got in the car, but it was 5:30a so I wasn't exactly that alert myself.

2) If these 2 were on all night, should I worry about a fuse or the battery? Would this cause any lasting problems? Or is this really nothing to worry about?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It shouldn't have caused any problems other than a small drain on the battery. Like the above said - and my Jeep does it too - the lights will turn off after a few minutes which are controlled by the body computer. Once you hit the fob or door latch they relight again. You can always drop a seat back to the down position and watch it.
Fuses are just circuit protection devices so it did not hurt them at all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i think the trunk light is on a timer. I think....
Yes. I think you're correct. On timer, or a safe mode, b/c I just continued my experiment... this time leaving it open for 10 minutes. When I returned to the car there was no trunk open alert blue light on the console, BUT the trunk light was still on.

Perhaps the trunk light turns off eventually as well?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't think the trunk light ever turns off. A lot of people on here have had dead batteries by leaving their trunk open for a few days while sitting in their garages. If you the light was on over night then its no big deal. As long as the car started in the morning, the alternator will charge the battery back up.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
The interior lights turn off with the timer, but the trunk does not on my 2009 R/T.

The trunk open for only one night shouldn't kill a strong battery. You should make sure it gets fully charged by driving for two hours or more, or connecting a trickle charger over night.

·
Super Moderator
15,598 Posts
The trunk light won't time out - it stays on.

The way to leave the trunk open (if needed) and have the light off is to use a dowel or small screwdriver shaft to trip the latch (and built in switch) into the closed position.

You have to use the pull handle / release to re-set the latch to the open position before trying to close the trunk lid.

On the other hand, the interior lights (with door open) will time out after about 10 minutes or so - they re-set when you close the door.

If the map lights are turned on by pushing on the lens or setting the panel dimmer for interior lights, they stay on continuously and will drain the battery (high wattage bulbs there).

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Just a little FYI. It is always better to charge a seriously discharged battery with a battery charger even if the battery will start the engine. Letting the car's charging system recharge a discharged battery creates a high load on the alternator. If you have a choice save the wear on the alternator and use a charger instead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts