Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my car today and to get it out if the sun I pulled the transmission override thing under the coin holder so I could go to neutral / push the car slightly.

It was tough to pull and now it's stuck upwards and won't push back down. Car tells me it's in transmission service mode.

I then pushed it harder down and now it went down but it's not fully down and there is a clip of metal that's stopping it going down fully. I'm not sure how it came up past that clip.

I can't find the entry in the manual either for some reason when searching or looking in the index under transmission, automatic, battery, red strap etc.

Has anyone done this who can advise?

Cheers

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
You can see through the hole that there is something blocking it:

This little tab thing, it doesn't move:

·
Registered
124 Posts
When you first disengage the lever you are supposed to push that metal tab over with a screwdriver to release the lever. When it was tough to pull is when you bent that tab, you are not the first and wont be the last to do it..

Take a screwdriver or long nose pliers and bend that tab back down so its around a 45 degree angle, then the lever will go down over it and lock the lever into place. Next time use a screwdriver to push the tab over and the lever lifts up easily. You also have to move a tab with a screwdriver to push the lever back down.

The manual shows the procedure, look under 'what to do in emergencies,' 'manual park release.

The transmission service mode message will go away once the lever is all the way back down.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both!! I was really puzzled by that tab but that explains it. Turns out that with it not all the way down it can still be driven/not in service mode, which is lucky for me today. I happened to be washing in the shade in front my of neighbors garage, with a car they can't move that was going to cause an issue...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now it's driving all good and the thing is down again, but the engine light is on. Anyone know how to reset on a 2015?

I have a obd thing so can try plugging it in later.

Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
Disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for about 10 minutes. That should reset everything for you.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Strange, between yesterday and today the light stayed on but after writing earlier today it started with no check engine light. Didn't need to remove the battery terminal. Interesting. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Wondering why you just didn't bother starting the car to move it?

·
Super Moderator
14,839 Posts
I was washing my car today and to get it out if the sun I pulled the transmission override thing under the coin holder so I could go to neutral / push the car slightly.

It was tough to pull and now it's stuck upwards and won't push back down. Car tells me it's in transmission service mode.
next time, you can simply:
>put ignition to "ON" (w/o pressing the brake pedal - starter won't engage)
>then w/o pushing the start button, press brake (to allow shift interlock to disengage), shift transmission to Neutral.
>and roll the car where you want, put into Park (engage parking brake), then shut ignition off.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Strange, between yesterday and today the light stayed on but after writing earlier today it started with no check engine light. Didn't need to remove the battery terminal. Interesting. Thanks.
Takes a few drive cycles to shut the light off sometimes.

·
Registered
124 Posts
>then w/o pushing the start button, press brake (to allow shift interlock to disengage), shift transmission to Neutral.
>and roll the car where you want, put into Park (engage parking brake), then shut ignition off.
That doesnt work on the '15 8 speeds, at least it doesnt for me.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
Not gonna work on the 15 A8, there is no mechanical interface to the transmission at all except this emergency cable neutral bypass. The shifter is totally electronic and unless the engine is running, it will not go into neutral.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
124 Posts
Not gonna work on the 15 A8, there is no mechanical interface to the transmission at all except this emergency cable neutral bypass. The shifter is totally electronic and unless the engine is running, it will not go into neutral.

You can not shut the engine off unless its in park as well..

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wondering why you just didn't bother starting the car to move it?
I just don't want to start it for just 30 seconds as it's not great for the motor. Cold starts and shut downs then create excess petrol smoke for the next startup which doesn't look good either. Plus it's loud as hell but that's less of a concern ;)

Plus I only wanted to go 30cm to get out of the angle of oncoming sunshine.

·
Registered
13,965 Posts
A 30 second run once in a while will not hurt a thing. Just don't think it's a good idea to mess with it, this system is designed for emergency use only, ie: wrecker driver needing to tow the car.

·
Registered
477 Posts

You can not shut the engine off unless its in park as well..
Three more reasons I will stay away from this transmission.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In the end I had to move the car a couple of times, and it's just not good for the motor. No, it won't blow up if I do this even a lot, but it's still not ideal.

As for the transmission, it's really stupid that it can't be or into neutral without pulling a special hidden latch, yes. Otherwise though it's an absolutely amazing box. Having only owned manuals before but having driven some performance cars with automatics, I can say that this a8 puts many to shame. Dodge have done a great job on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts