Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did it too.

I had to write after finding myself in a similar situation.

Just to get it out of the way. I wanted to move the car a few feet so I could check the oil as it was cold and on a flat surface. Ironically, I had just washed the car earlier.

I was surprised that I could not put the car in neutral without starting the engine. I tired a few different methods before deciding the engine had to be on.

I thought this was a great opportunity to try the manual park release. Being able to move your car without the engine running seemed like something a car owner should know how to do. I had read in the owners' manual and found the pictures and instructions very poor and incomplete.

After moving the car (the oil level was great by the way), my engine light would not turn off. I never saw anything about the transmission.

After reading this post, I inspected my manual park release mechanism and found the tabs looked fine. I exercised the park release lever again to make sure it wasn't doing anything that didn't look right.

The engine light was still on.

The light did not stay on after about 3 start cycles. I was not able to check the OBD2 for a code.

I'm really curious if the light was on due to using the park release or if there was some other coincidence. My old code reader didn't pick anything up, but may not be compatible with the 2015 Dodge.

Thank You Keegs for the pictures of the park release mechanism!

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Wow found this old thread. Was curious because I was using mine (to see how it works) and that little tab that catches broke off. Oh well. Guess I'll worry about if it ever needs towed. It's a MOPAR so that rarely happens. Unlike a Ford, when you order the "towing package" they install it on the front. :D

·
Registered
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
684 Posts
I was not able to check the OBD2 for a code.

I'm really curious if the light was on due to using the park release or if there was some other coincidence. My old code reader didn't pick anything up, but may not be compatible with the 2015 Dodge.
Well.....add me to the group.

I grew tired of having to start mine up just for moving less than three feet, and tried the release.

It was more of a PITA than what it saved.

Additionally....the code is directly related to the release mechanism. The code I received was P0850.....Park Neutral Position Switch input circuit malfunction.

Instead of letting it disappear on its own after a few key cycles, I simply cleared mine with my el-cheapo $26 code reader from Amazon. At least the daughter won’t be wigging out on her way to school in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,948 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Rileyhhills ;) Usually a couple of drive cycles will reset if the cause isn't still active

A Guy

21 - 27 of 27 Posts