Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick look under the hood, left me puzzled as to how the airbox is disassembled.If someone could post some simple instructions, I would be most appreciative.Also how the engine cover is removed.As I recall on my C5 that was a real pita.In real life I was an engineer, not a mechanic.Its an R/T..

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
not to be a smart ass or anything, but have you tried the owner's manual?
If it does not clearly tell you how to open, there are a few plastic tabs that you press in and the top should pull up exposing the filter. Then you can replace the filter. Sometimes it's easier to remove the various tubes which are attached to the box first. Engine cover just pulls up/snaps in place I believe.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the owners manual from cover to cover, and watched the DVD.They apparently made some changes as the operation of the auto-stick, trip odometer, and removing the engine top cover or disassembling the airbox are not in there.Just about everything that I don't have on my R/T was...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the latches the two tabs in the front.Do they pull out or push in.I had fits on my C5 and and came very close to breaking it by going the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could feel them release, but couldn't budge the lid.Started to take the accordian rubber tubing that goes to the throttle body. but thought better of it.It appears to me that the stock setup will feed as much cool air as you need.The cold air kits I looked at, are not going to keep engine heat away, the dividers are made of black plastic, bet dollars to donuts that after a short period of time plenty of heat will invade the area where the cone filter sits.Whereas the stock inlet pulls atmospheric air fron outside the engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
You must not gotten all the releases because it should lift enough to get the filter out. You can hear the differance the air getting to the engine makes. It might not be cold air but it does get more air.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I just looked at the one in the shed that came off of mine. There are 2 latches on the front side you pull toward you. Lift the front part up. There's 3 lips at the back you can squirm out. There's a small hose on the back of the airbox you can slide off if you want more room. You should be able to move it around without unhooking it from the throttle body.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
This is a serious question so please don't think I'm being a smart a$$ but doesn't the filter get wet when it's out there. I started go get another brand that did that and I was told on a car you drive in the rain don't get it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found out what grandchildren are good for, took him about two minutes after I expained it to him.My diabetes was kicking my butt today, I was afraid to check my blood sugar.Now to take it for a spin and see if I can feel it

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have to admit, it does give the engine a different sound, but seriously doubt I picked more than 1-2 hp but wiith other mods like an exhaust it may be worth more than that. Only time will tell.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
This is a serious question so please don't think I'm being a smart a$$ but doesn't the filter get wet when it's out there. I started go get another brand that did that and I was told on a car you drive in the rain don't get it.

to tell you the truth i am not sure because i dont drive it in the rain :) but i have read that concern from others who say it really isnt feasible for rain to travel that far vertically through the bend(s) but others are leary and dont want that. i am happy with it

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Guys I'm having a ton of trouble getting the two clips to snap back into place trying to get my stock airbox back on. Is there anything I should be doing, or might be doing wrong? This thing is not budging, it wont close down far enough to reach the lip of the top part and connect properly.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My problem was I had the new car syndrome.Hadn't done it before and in the back of my mind, I was afraid I might break something.After seeing how easy my grandson removed it, I had no problem re-installing it.Getting the accordian rubber intake back on required a small amount of lube.To get the lid back on make sure the new filter is seated properly and the lid is aligned properly and press down firmly. If that doesn't work ask the 800 lb gorilla standing behind you laughing to assist.:)

·
Registered
6,176 Posts
Yeah I just wound up goin out and getting a new filter. It was a hair shorter and closed no problem. Stock filter just wasn't having any of it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts