Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, as a quick back story, I joined the forum because I'm trying to help my brother out with some problems he's having with his '09 Challenger SRT-8.

My bro was recently involved in a bad motorcycle accident and is going to be in the hospital/rehab for a bit. Only about a week before the accident he had asked me to take his car and fix a couple issues he's been having ( were both firefighters, but I was a mechanic before and still work as one part time ). I have the car now and I'm hoping to have it back to normal when he's able to drive, so I'm looking for some help.

On to the issues...

Like I said, the car is an 09' 6.1 SRT8 with the 6spd. We also procharged a few years ago with the basic accompanying bolt-ons. The car dyno'd somewhere just under 600rwhp. A year or so after installing the procharger his stock clutch started going (as we expected), so I installed a Centerforce DYAD DS clutch for him (specs here). After a couple trips to the drag strip (and possibly some not so good burnouts on his part), the clutch is slipping like crazy. I know it most likely is junk, so that's my first task with the car. The advice I'm looking for is what other people (preferably with modded SRT-8s) are using. Is the Centerforce a good choice in these cars, or is there a better option for his power level??

The next issue is the differential. He's getting a significant chatter from the rear end under load from a stop. It goes away once moving. This has been an issue since before the clutch and has been getting worse. I serviced the diff for him and the magnetic plug came out with a large stack of metal shavings. Obviously the internals are going to need attention. Again, not being a Challenger guy I'm not familiar with the options out there. (I'm a Chevy guy, and mostly build older cars :roller:) I'm not very familiar with the Getrag differentials. Again, any of you with modded cars, what have you run into? Is there a good gear swap option out there? Or how about an entire aftermarket differential? Is swapping a hell-cat rear end into an older 6.1 car a possibility??

I appreciate any help! I know I can do the work, I just need some direction with the specifics on the aftermarket support for these cars. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
I have not heard anything good about a Centerforce, now the Mcleod , RAM and Bad Boys have had good reviews in the Hellcat forums I belong to. as far as diff not sure you can put a ZF diff (hellcat) in that car will have to check to see if the bolt pattern is the same, the Getrag is a completely serviceable diff unlike the ZF for the hellcat, pull it apart and I bet in needs new clutch packs, High Horse power sell the kits.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I had a Centerforce clutch once, installed and broken exactly to their specifications. It was the biggest P.O.S. I ever bought for any vehicle of mine, period. Wonky pedal effort and engagement, getting stuck in gear, ridiculously loud chattering and buzzing, and just completely miserable to drive overall. Going back to stock seemed like the greatest mod ever after that experience.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Somebody here I believe just did a Hellcat clutch conversion, I think I'd do that before going aftermarket with some of the driveability problems they can have.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Somebody here I believe just did a Hellcat clutch conversion, I think I'd do that before going aftermarket with some of the driveability problems they can have.

I'd definitely be curious to know more about this!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not heard anything good about a Centerforce, now the Mcleod , RAM and Bad Boys have had good reviews in the Hellcat forums I belong to. as far as diff not sure you can put a ZF diff (hellcat) in that car will have to check to see if the bolt pattern is the same, the Getrag is a completely serviceable diff unlike the ZF for the hellcat, pull it apart and I bet in needs new clutch packs, High Horse power sell the kits.
Thanks! I did some more research and it definitely sounds like the clutches. I checked out HHP and the carbon clutch and spring kit looks perfect, I'll probably be ordering that!

Did these cars all come with a 3.06 gear or were there other options from the factory? Im going to look at the car tomorrow to see what gears it had from the factory. In thinking while I have the diff open a swap to lower gears would be good (if he has 3.06s currently) Does anyone sell gears? I know HHP seems complete diffs with 3.73 or 3.92s.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
It was on another forum. OEM Hellcat clutch installed on Scat Pack, bolted right up, no issues. 258 mm dual disc, stock is 240 mm. Cost less than $1000 for for slave, clutch and flywheel so even cheaper than aftermarket and you know it will both drive nice and handle the power.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If your brothers car is a factory M6, it has 3.92 stock rear gears. All you need to do is rebuild the clutches and you should be fine. I'd go with either a Hell Cat Clutch, or get a McCleod twin disc setup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was on another forum. OEM Hellcat clutch installed on Scat Pack, bolted right up, no issues. 258 mm dual disc, stock is 240 mm. Cost less than $1000 for for slave, clutch and flywheel so even cheaper than aftermarket and you know it will both drive nice and handle the power.
I got to drive the car a little more this morning. I'm actually thinking now all the smiling is actually in the rearend. I'm going start with the HP clutches there and see how it drives after. If I still think it needs the clutch I'll definitely look into the hellcat setup, that seems like a great option!
If your brothers car is a factory M6, it has 3.92 stock rear gears. All you need to do is rebuild the clutches and you should be fine. I'd go with either a Hell Cat Clutch, or get a McCleod twin disc setup.
Alright awesome, I couldn't in good conscience leave him with 3.06s if that's what it had haha. What are the chances the stock gears and bearing have been damaged by the clutch material? I'm thinking they are alright because the gears are still quiet, maybe since very subtle whine in deceleration, but I think I'm just trying to hear it. Plus I changed the fluid very early on when he stated getting symptoms, so I at least got a good bulk of material out then too. I'm sure it's built up again, but hopefully the magnetic plug has been doing its job. I'm going to visually inspect everything when I do the clutches, but I'm hoping to avoid having to replace the gears or anything else other than the clutches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So I've been thinking some more and I think I want to try going with the Hellcat clutch. Any idea what forum you saw it on?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,923 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts