Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals,

I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed with 12,531 miles on it. I don't abuse the car and I take really good care of my car and my things in general. That being said... here is my horror story.

I went to the dealership last week 11/8 Wednesday for a simple routine oil change. I get to the dealership and they change my oil and oil filter, air filter and windshield wipers. On the way home from the oil change and getting onto the freeway, I get out of 3rd gear and I am not able to engage into 4th. So, I try going back into 3rd and it won't engage. I try 4th and 5th still can't engage. I finally pull over and I try to go through all the gears and am not able to engage any- not even in reverse. I shut the car off and I am able to put the car into 1st gear, but I can't start it while in 1st gear. It sort of just sounds like when you have a bad battery and the car won't start. So, I have the car towed back to the dealership and they tell me they will look at it.

I finally get an updated from the service advisor yesterday 11/16. They tell me that my clutch is completely worn out and that my flywheel has hot spots. I could not believe what I was hearing. I don't abuse my clutch, I don't ride the clutch and I go through gears fairly easy. Also, if the clutch is completely worn out... how come I did not experience any symptoms of a completely worn out clutch? Like clutch slippage? Or, odd vibrations, noise coming from the pedal or gear selector? Everything was completely fine before that oil change.

Do you guys think something is off with what they're telling me?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I think you have a problem with the hydraulic side of the clutch. You have an issue with the hydraulic engagement of the throwout bearing.

I think the service advisor is telling you a lie.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Dealerships are dirty as hell and ive learned to stop dealing with them, regardless of warranty or not. They will be very quick to disregard your warranty. Since they already have your car, request to see pictures of the hotspots or signs of damage. Be weary. Clutch is a wearable item so they are going to charge you full pop. I have 45 k miles on my 6 speed with plenty of hard launches , burnouts, missed gears, and grinded out and im not affraid to admit it. Car still drives like new, goodluck!

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,937 Posts
I would have immediately checked the hydraulic reservoir, sounds like they drained it to replace the fluid and forgot to refill it. I have seen this kind of thing before..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Did the dealer tech take your car for a test drive? What is the in and out mileage on the repair order? A simple oil change does not constitute a road test.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I would have immediately checked the hydraulic reservoir, sounds like they drained it to replace the fluid and forgot to refill it. I have seen this kind of thing before..
brakes and clutch share the same reservoir - so its unlikely its not filled.

·
Registered
134 Posts
worn out clutch = no go with clutch engaged, massive slipping, stinking ,burning discs with a car that doesn't move and is NOT cant engage a gear

bad slave cylinder / throw out bearing would equal cant get it into gear

the brake fluid question posed earlier - while true beake and clutch use same master cyclinder if the dealer did change fluids and left an air pocket in clutch line ,,,,,,,it is conceivable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts