Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've finally decided to get around to fixing the fog lights in my 2014 Challenger thanks to the pandemic and having more time. I'm not entirely sure what the previous owner did but this has been on my list for some time since I got the car.

Attached are some pictures so that I can hopefully get some help in figuring out what I need to buy to get these up and running.

From what I can gather the previous owner did install a plug and play HID fog light system. You can see what looks to be a ballast in the pictures.

There is a picture of the car's wiring that plugs into the ballast with a male connector and then a female connector on the ballast itself.

It looks like the previous owner installed the fog light assemblies for the 08-10 Challengers cause those don't look like they will hold the 2504 bulbs used for the 2014 Challengers but instead the H10 bulbs. Which is interesting cause as far as I can tell the switch the previous owner installed inside the car is definitely the 11-14 Auto Headlights + Fog Lights switch.

The wire coming from the car actually does look like it may have been spliced sadly... White/grey wiring that goes to red wiring. And that connector with that yellow fitting in the picture did not fit the 2504 bulbs I have.

I just want help figuring out what my best options are. And if anyone recognizes what was done and can explain it.

Should I bother buying the proper 2504 bulb assemblies?
If so I'm guessing I'll need to buy some sort of adapter wiring since it looks like the wiring may have been spliced.
Should I try and get H10 bulbs and seeing if those would work?
Is there a reason Dodge switched from H10 to 2504 for the bulbs? Is one better than the other?

20200706_145046.jpg
20200706_145709.jpg
Screenshot_20200706-151521_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200706-151532_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20200706-151644_Video Player.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked the wiring diagrams and wiring routing in the chilton manual?
Hi thanks for replying. And that is a useful website thanks!

If I have to buy any wiring I imagine it would just be the new wiring/adapter for the 2504 wiring. I figured I'd buy a generic one but that website is telling me the OEM one would be Repair Kit Part Number 68087933AA.

Did you have any thoughts regarding my other questions?

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,794 Posts
I think you should figure what works and what doesn’t with the hardware already on the car. Activate the fogs from the switch in the dash (and release parking brake, shift into drive, etc), and test for voltage on the harness at the plugs for the bulbs.

Actually, test for no voltage with switch off, then test for voltage with switch on.

If you don’t have the expected voltage measurements at this point, time to start diagnosing the upstream problems.

That’s how I would start it anyway...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think you should figure what works and what doesn’t with the hardware already on the car. Activate the fogs from the switch in the dash (and release parking brake, shift into drive, etc), and test for voltage on the harness at the plugs for the bulbs.

Actually, test for no voltage with switch off, then test for voltage with switch on.

If you don’t have the expected voltage measurements at this point, time to start diagnosing the upstream problems.

That’s how I would start it anyway...
I don't know if the previous owner ever even had them activated. And considering they just had the ballasts unsecured down there bouncing around, and I haven't removed them yet after 4 years I would bet that the ballasts don't even work anymore.

The previous owner had also installed HID headlights which stopped working soon after me buying it and luckily the dealership fixed that. So if I had to guess they didn't do the best job installing the fog HIDs either.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,298 Posts
Could be that the BCM or gateway is not configured to run fog lights? Software like alfaOBD and a compatible OBD interface can enable them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may take it into to have DRLs and Autoheadlights activated soon and I'll have them do Foglights too.

Even if my Foglights aren't working (yet), there can't be any harm in having it added right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to just yank out the HID system since I'll be trying to throw in some Halogen bulbs soon and plus I can now take a good look at what they used. Its the Morimoto 3Five DSP kit which from a quick google search seems to have been a pretty problematic set that is now discontinued. And it was using 35W 5000K H10 HID bulbs, one of which looks burnt out if you can tell from the pictures.

Tomorrow when I get the 9145 bulbs they will hopefully connect properly to the wiring harness that is left in the car.

20200707_111723.jpg
20200707_111621.jpg
20200707_111734.jpg
20200707_112037.jpg

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got fog lights working. Just had to get them activated. I'm just gonna stick with the 9145 bulbs for now inside the older pre-2011 assemblies. They're working and I don't see a point in switching to the 2504 bulbs and 11-14 assemblies.

I'll still need get a different wiring harness though as the ones in there are molded for 9006 not 9005 (H10, 9145, etc).
20200710_154815.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts