Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an instrument cluster off of eBay out of an 08 Charger srt. The mileage now matches my cars actual mileage so it was time for the install. Well i swapped them out and as soon as I turned the key, the needles all dropped down very far even, down where the evic display and other idiot lights are. I put the needles where they should go with the car running and they all worked fine but as soon as I turned off the key and and opened the door, I tried it again, and the needles dropped way down again. Is there a way to calibrate the cluster or did I just buy a bad cluster? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
the needles will drop with the engine is not running. i would not move the needles. you have no way to put them back on in the right spot without a digital meter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they drop way to far, it this was a clock the speedo drops down to about 7 o clock and the tach to about 8 o clock. The gas gauge drops about a quarter inch past where it should rest and the temp gauge about the same.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
i know there are issues when people swap clusters from different years. did you get any codes when you made the swap?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No they stay low, but when i push the accelerator, the tach does move normally its just out of place. and the same with the speedo when i drive.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
well, since you moved the needles already, i would try and reset them with the engine running. use the EVIC display to get the digital readings or a predator.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I set them manually and drove around a little to make sure everything was working and it was. Then I turned off the car, went inside for a little bit and I went out to the car, and as soon as I opened the door, the needles dropped again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Put your old cluster back in, if anyone realizes that you changed your dash they will report it and your car will be branded TMU on your title which is total milage unknown and that can really hurt the value of your car!! It is not worth it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts