Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone go easy on me I’m new here but my bf just bought a ‘19 challenger sxt and I wanted to surprise him with some mods but I’m not really familiar with dodge, I’m trying to up the hp but I’m at a loss on how to do so, I was thinking tuner (but what kind to use??), and I’m not sure how to get the best bang out of it, any tips or advice would be so appreciated! Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,577 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Unfortunately modding newer Dodge cars like the Challenger is not as straightforward as it is on other popular sports cars like the Camaro or Mustang. I won't get into the gory details, but suffice to say it has to do with how the car's computer determines proper air/fuel mixture, with Dodge still using an outdated approach (Speed Density w/ MAP instead of MAF like everyone else) that doesn't lend itself readily to performance mods that purport to increase HP/TQ. That doesn't mean there are none to be had, just that they are fewer than we'd like and may not have as much of an effect as they should.

Nevertheless, modding can still be fun, so I will list out some you can look into, and you can decide which to pursue further.

• Aftermarket CAI (little to no performance increase, but can make WOT sound more aggressive)
  • Exhaust upgrades; muffler & resonator replacement/removal (little to no performance increase, mostly done to make exhaust tone sound better)
  • Catch Can (no performance increase, but helps keep inside of intake clean and thus prevents poor performance down the road as miles pile up).
  • Hand held tuner, e.g. DiabloSport inTune, Predator2, Trinity (most bang for the buck with performance upgrades, but will require separate PCM to allow modification of tune).
  • Programmable Throttle Controller, e.g. Peddle Commander (no actual performance increase, but can make it feel like car is quicker).

Search around in the SXT Specific (2015+) section for more info and discussions on these mods for your BF's car.

Good luck with the modding!
Nuke

Reactions: Thread Killer

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of info here and a ton of SXT owners on the forum! Good luck and have fun!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,203 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Be aware a tuner, tune, and required PCM, or PCM unlock will set you back $1000 to $1500, and likely void your warranty. This is for 15 HP or so :( Diablosport currently doesn't support the 2018-2019. HP Tuners supports the 2019, but doesn't come preloaded with tunes, and has a steep learning curve. A custom tune from a tuner who uses HP Tuners would be required, and this usually means logging so the tune can be adjusted. Not to be a downer, but it's not as easy as buy something and attach it.

Appearance mods like tinting, lowering springs, etc. are of course doable. Cat back exhaust is smog legal, and no warranty issues, but sound is subjective. You might want to give him a "present" of "Cat Back Exhaust of your choice", etc. Be aware, that can be $800 to $1600 + installation

A Guy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts