Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Discount Tire dosen't want to help me at all with the NT05's even though they are smoked @ 1500-1800 miles, less than three months, and nor does Nitto. I hear people raving about the 420s, but the tread wear makes me think how do they put down the torque that our cars generate?

I liked the idea of the 285\50\20 as it would really give a sexy staggered look, but what do you guys think? And how would that compare to a 275\40\20 NT05 since the 420s would have more tread? Think it would be enough to launch the car in 1st like I can with the NT05s?

Thanks in advance...pretty annoyed I blew 400+$ on tires that only lasted a fraction of the time I was told they would, and that everyone seems to average...I don't even track the friggin' car.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
One thing to be concerned with is the weight of the tire and how that effects performance. A 285/50-20 tire is going to be heavier than a 275/40-20. Have you compared the weight between the two?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Run the 295 40 20. The 285 50 is over 31" tall and heavy. I run 305 45 20 Yokohamas to get diameter and width I want and had to compromise with the weight. Ideally, I would be running a 305 40 20...just not available.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm...ugh, I'm just having the hardest time finding a tire that dosen't wear down within 1800 friggin miles and will give me proper grip and not send my rear end swinging when it shifts around corners (NT05s eliminated that), what tire\size would you guys just personally recommend, stock wheels...etc...running 275\40\20 like I said, but yeah...and no I have not compared the weight of the two, I'd sacrifice a little extra weight for the beefy 50 height in the rear though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have 295/30r22 420s on my car.. i like them alot

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Have you looked
At
The hankook ventus st 275 40 20 there $141 at discount tire and I have a
Hard time spinning them ( even at the track). Although they do a great burn out with ESP off there a 50000 mile warranty on them. Great in the rain if you drive in the rain
It's a good tire.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? The ST dosen't spin? o_O, I'm amazed a 50k mile tread tire actually sticks enough to launch...even my F1's didn't lol, also I do staggered fitment so no warranty :-\

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
It's a good tire. Ask around. And yes there hard to spin. Maybe it's because there new. I also have staggered tires but I also bought the certificates for replacement. I would rather buy a 50000 mile tire and get a good life out of it than a tire that's designed for the track and have to replace it in year or less and not even go to the track. But I have to agree that the f1's suck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts