Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have some Oracle SMD side marker lights, and love them, however I am having some problems with the front 2. At first they worked great, and then passenger front started to go out in the middle intermittently (pic attached, although it is much worse now). I got it replaced through Oracle warranty (great customer service), and installed a new one. Now BOTH sides on the front are intermittently losing part of the LED strip.

Before I go and submit another email to Oracle for warranty - does anyone have any idea of what could be causing this on my cars end? It seems so strange that now both front 2 do it and the rears are fine

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
I have the Oracle side marker lights, and I love them. I've had them about 6 months now, and my lights are used most days with no problems.

Both front and back side marker lights are on the same circuit, so it has to be the LED's in the front. That is one strange issue for sure. Be sure to attach a picture when you E-mail Oracle. I'd love to hear their thoughts.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
The side markers are driven by a PWM signal from the BCM. If there is too much load then the signal will not be able to power the LEDs on.

2015+ Dodge Challenger Hellcat RGBW Multicolor LED Boards! Factory "Halo" Upgrade! | Page 5 | SRT Hellcat Forum

According to this link the circuit that drives the side markers can be as low as 1 volt.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/6502705-post1.html

I recently tapped my Diode Dynamic halos to the side marker circuit and the added load causes intermittent operation of the side markers. Diode Dynamics says that some cars are not impacted by the extra load but apparently mine is.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f202/dd-switch-back-led-boards-installed-620329/?620329=#post7921369

Oh, and I don't think the front and rear run off the same circuit. I just came home and noticed when the front side marker powers off (because I have the DD switch back halos grabbing power from the front side marker power) the rear stays on.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tatum!

I got to wondering about the same circuit as well, because I notice when I unlock the car the back side markers go on but the fronts do not. Either way, I emailed Oracle again and they are going to be sending 2 new front markers under warranty!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
Thanks Tatum!

I got to wondering about the same circuit as well, because I notice when I unlock the car the back side markers go on but the fronts do not. Either way, I emailed Oracle again and they are going to be sending 2 new front markers under warranty!
This weekend I am going to check the circuit with my scope to see what is really going on as my DD halos intermittently power up. Why the engineers chose to go with PWM as opposed to a 12VDC signal is not clear to me?

BTW if you guys ever want to check automotive signals and can't justify the cost of a hand held scope (I have a couple of scopes as I use to run a guitar amp service when I was temporarily unemployed, actually but a broken scope for $10 and all that was wrong was a blown resistor at the high voltage supply)...there are pocket scopes available for under $100 that do a pretty decent job.

https://www.robotshop.com/en/seeedstudio-dso-nano-v3.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqJmJnaCF2QIVhROPCh0UsAhwEAQYBCABEgIiz_D_BwE

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
Man is it cold in the garage...tried to capture the PWM signal on my scope but the added load from the DD halos just kills any attempt to capture. But what I did manage to catch when the voltage drops out. It is very random and sometimes lasts for a few sections to a couple of minutes. I really don't know why they would power the front side markers like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
Well I finally broke down and bought a subscription to alldatadiy and I am glad I did...they have all the wiring schematics. Now maybe I can figure out what is going on.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,381 Posts
Man is it cold in the garage...tried to capture the PWM signal on my scope but the added load from the DD halos just kills any attempt to capture. But what I did manage to catch when the voltage drops out. It is very random and sometimes lasts for a few sections to a couple of minutes. I really don't know why they would power the front side markers like this?
What I've noticed on A8 cars is the side markers do different things when Remote Auto Start is used

I have an M6, so I don't have Remote Start function

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,565 Posts
What I've noticed on A8 cars is the side markers do different things when Remote Auto Start is used

I have an M6, so I don't have Remote Start function
Same here. According to the alldatadiy schematics they are controlled directly from the BCM and the drivers are located in the headlight assembly...still sorting through the menus to see if they have a diagnostic method. What is cool is they give all TSB information.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
298 Posts
I have the Oracle side marker lights, and I love them. I've had them about 6 months now, and my lights are used most days with no problems.

How are the side markers still working out for you guys?

That’s one thing I really don’t like about my 2008 SRT8, is that the factory side marker lights only light up the small area around the bulb and not the entire marker. To me it makes it look like it’s not working properly.

Really thinking of pulling the trigger on a set of these for it but at over $200 I want to know that I am getting high quality that lasts.

https://www.oraclelights.com/products/2008-2014-dodge-challenger-oracle-concept-sidemarker-set

Thanks for your input,
Jeremy

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
I have had my Ghosted marker lights 1 year , yea there pricey, well worth IMO
You look at the car and say what’s different?
No issues very easy install
I really like the profile of my car with the markers Ghosted

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
298 Posts
I love most is your pin stripes,, wicked cool.
I agree! The stripes add just the right touch and flare to it. Sharp-looking ride!

Those lights do look really nice ghosted like that.

My car got a custom paint job that was done before Destroyer Grey was even an option.

I really need to see a Destroyer Grey next to mine to see how close it might happen to be because I do like the ghosted look but it'll look dumb if the paint doesn't look close enough.

Thanks for the response and pics!

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
How are the side markers still working out for you guys?

That’s one thing I really don’t like about my 2008 SRT8, is that the factory side marker lights only light up the small area around the bulb and not the entire marker. To me it makes it look like it’s not working properly.

Really thinking of pulling the trigger on a set of these for it but at over $200 I want to know that I am getting high quality that lasts.

https://www.oraclelights.com/products/2008-2014-dodge-challenger-oracle-concept-sidemarker-set

Thanks for your input,
Jeremy
I guess I've had my ghosted LED side marker lights for about a year now. They still work, and still look awesome. That really bright LED line can't be missed when they are lit at night, and that seems like what you are wanting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have had my front ones replaced twice and now have to call in for a third time... back ones have been perfect

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just registered to share my experience. Purchased a set of the tinted side markers on 10/26 through American Muscle. Got them about a week later and installed them the same day. Worked great until today, noticed the front passenger side marker had a few bulbs out and a bulb or two would flicker every few seconds.

Called AM and they said I would need to return the set to receive a new set. Which is kind of ridiculous as some people probably chucked the originals or sold/gave them away. AM suggested that I buy a second set and then just replace the bad one when it came in and return the rest. Ok, not a bad option, but I decided to contact oracle directly and see where that gets me. I emailed them today as the office was closed when I called. I’ll come back and post an update when I hear back from them.

For what it’s worth, I have an 18 Scat Pack and only the rear LED’s light up when I unlock the doors as others have said.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Oracle is a vendor here on the site , I would Email directly from here .
Go to the forum tab look for vendors you will see them
I have a set of Ghosted body color that I bought directly from them .
I found there customer service very good

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oracle is a vendor here on the site , I would Email directly from here .
Go to the forum tab look for vendors you will see them
I have a set of Ghosted body color that I bought directly from them .
I found there customer service very good

I emailed them through their website a little bit ago, but thanks for the heads up. I’ll try through here if I can’t get through the other way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts