Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Core
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the difference is in the aftermarket short throw shifters?

I see companies offering just the shifter, where Hurst looks like it replaces the whole assembly. Are the shortened shifters as good as the Hurst setup?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just got the short throw shifter that bolts to old shifter for xmas.... Going out to install it today..... There is 2 feet of snow here.... So... Lol.... Won't be able to tell you much..... IM sure it's just a look/ preference change with it thou...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I went for the Mopar/Hurst pistol grip short throw kit, and it does shift better with a shorter throw. But the best part is it looks f'in awesome!!! IMO it looks better than any other shifter out there, definitely looks the truest to the original back in 1970. Be aware though, it is noisier, the synchros literally talk to you, but that makes for a more authentic experience too ;)

It comes like this:

Then I just got a wood-style handle insert and now it's very retro:

I have not done the Larry's mod throw rod modification to mine yet even though I have the parts. It's on the to do list...

FYI Barton industries is supposed to come out with their version of a short throw shifter for us, supposed to be early 2014 I think.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I don't know, but a Hurst with a modded throw rod is about as good as it can get for me. Even if the Baron would shift better, I just love how the Hurst looks, but then again I'm a big-time old school muscle car guy.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts