Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back, I disconnected my battery (2011 Challenger) while I changed one of the blend door actuators on the air conditioner system. I reconnected it and everything works fine, but the other day I got my registration renewal notice and I have to get my car smogged in order to renew the registration. I connected my code reader to the OBDII port and it reports the EVAP test cycle has not completed.
So, I looked in this forum and on google.com to find out how to get it to finish it's test cycle. One instruction told me to let the car sit overnight, then warm it up 5 minutes, then drive in stop and go traffic for 5 minutes - then let it idle 5 minutes again. I did that three times - but the EVAP test is still not done. Another instruction was to drive on the freeway at 60mph for 5 minutes, then let the car coast to a 20mph, then speed back up at half throttle to 60mph again for 5 more minutes, then let the car coast to a full stop. I managed to do it by driving in the right lane of the freeway, then coasting in the right pull-over areas - but the EVAP test cycle has still not completed.
I have no MIL codes - just can't seem to get the test to finish. I've driven my car 10 times now. The only thing I wonder about is the fuel level. My tank has been nearly full. Can that prevent the EVAP test from running? Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it?

Thanks

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don’t know how legit these instructions are, but being from 2018 they should be applicable to our generation vehicles. The required fuel level between 50% and 85% could be an issue.

Chrysler Drive Cycle – ODB2 Readiness Monitors
April 7, 2018 by astarsmog
In order to determine if your Jeep, Dodge, or Chrysler vehicle is ready for an emissions test, first check the MIL (check engine light).

Turn on the ignition to ON, but do not start the engine.
The check engine light f the (MIL) will turn on for 15 seconds.
After 15 seconds, one of two things will happen.
If the MIL flashes for 10 seconds, and then returns to being fully illuminated, the OBDII sensors are NOT READY and you need to complete the drive cycle.
If the MIL does not flash and remains fully lit, you are ready to go to the smog station.
Jeep, Chrysler, and Dodge Drive Cycle

Note: Original 1996 Chrysler vehicles do not maintain OBD2 readiness after engine shutdown, however this is a fix that is available at a dealer.

For all drive cycles, make sure the check engine light (MIL) is off.

All Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes
Warm engine up for five minutes
Smoothly acceerate and maintain a speed between 40 to 60 mph for 8 minutes.
Stop and idle for 3 minutes.
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed above 20 mph for 2 minutes.
Turn key off, leave off for ten minutes

Catalyst Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 30 to 45 mph for 2 minutes.

EGR System Monitor Drive Trace – Vacuum controlled
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 40 to 60 mph for 2 minutes.

EGR System Monitor Drive Trace – Electronic
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 40 to 60 mph for 2 minutes.
Idle for 3 minutes

Evaporative System Monitor Drive Trace
Trace 1: Standard Type – Make sure that your fuel level is between 50% and 85% full.
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 30 to 45 mph for 2 minutes.

Trace 2: Leak Detection Pump
From 6-8 hours of the vehicle being off (cold soak), idle for 5 minutes
Drive in city traffic naturally with stops and acceleration for 5 minutes.
Stop. Idle vehicle for 4 minutes.

O2 Sensor Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed above 25 mph for 2 minutes.
Stop and idle for 30 seconds.
Smoothly accelerate and maintain a speed between 30 to 40 mph
Repeat idle and acceleration to 30-40 mph five times.

O2 Sensor Heater Monitor Drive Trace
Idle for 5 minutes, then shut the engine and leave the vehicle off for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: I drove my car continuously until it was down to slightly more than 3/4 tank of gas. I still had the EVAP not ready issue when I shut the car off at the end of the road trip. Next time I drove the car, I let it warm up 5 minutes while sitting in the driveway, then I drove it in stop and go traffic. (I had done this several times before with a full tank of gas and the evap test wouldn't complete. Anyway, I had my OBDII scanner connected while driving and it was updating itself every 30 seconds. Less than 5 minutes of stop and go driving, the scanner showed the evap test had completed. I believe the issue was the gas tank being too full for the car to test the evap system. I just got the car smog tested and it passed with no issues. Thanks to those of you who posted advice about this :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts