Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a SRT 8 as I grew tired of the SUV life and felt its brakes were soon to be history in addition to its tires and I feared visiting gas stations and $65.00 for a fill up. I fell in love with the Challenger Hemi Orange color and it certainly has received comments. The first night I had it home my neighbor knocked on the door at 11:00pm and said "you have to let me drive it". Several people have stared at it while driving, and when I returned one night to where I parked several 17 year olds were taking pictures of it on their cell phones.

I probably paid too much but I wanted out of the SUV badly, however I had no idea of how the Challenger would perform in snow. Since the recent blizzard out east, I had the joy of pushing the Challenger as it got stuck 6 times on the way to a parking spot where it wanted to stay there too. If it's in an inch of snow or more, it doesn't wish to move.

I want to change the standard rims to chrome and picked out these as the place may have an interest in purchasing the slightly used stock rims:

Details of Giovanna Dalar:Chrome:20x8.5 Wheels at Street Dreams

the rims I'm looking at are the Giovanna Dalar

Here's my question, I don't mind reaching into my pocket but I can't not drive until April. Does anyone know how much bigger I can go on the rims (I believe I have the 20" stock rims) without losing any control of the car as I don't wish it to slip, but even more importantly, does anyone have any advice on what to do or what tires to use to possibly get the car to be more useful in the snow other than to just park it in the driveway and not use it or to push it to the store and back?

Any help is appreciated.

Glad to be here with other people who love this car. Best wishes - JJ.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm still a newbie/rookie to this whole thing so take my advice for what it's worth.

You need snow tires. I believe the stock tires on the Challenger are fair weather tires, and they don't handle snow for ****. I live in WI, and still have the stock tires on mine as well. I got stuck once last week too, way embarrassing.

Now, I'm happy with the look of the factory wheels so I have no intention of changing them out. My plan is this: I'm trying to find a set of wheels off a Charger probably from a salvage yard. I believe that the bolt patterns and whatnot would be a direct swap for the Challenger. Then I'm going to mount some Blizzaks on them and just swap them on for the winter months.

This also has the advantage of having a slightly smaller tire, and a more common sized tire. (Have you went and looked at the price of snow tires in the Challengers 20" size? Talk about sticker shock...I think tirerack.com had them at ~1k for a set of 4 I believe)

Now, as I said I'm very new to all this so I could be way off base (and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to let me know if I am) but that's my plan.

Also, there is a specific "Tires" subforum here. You might want to take a wander around there and look at the snow tire discussions.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Surprising to hear you had so much trouble in snow, I have a 6 speed R/T with the stock 18in tires and it does great in the snow. Don't know if the tires for the 20in wheels(F1's?) should make it that much more difficult. The F1's are obviously not gonna be as good as all-season tires but I still don't think they should get you stuck all the time. I always make sure to turn off esp in the snow(it really helps because you're gonna need some wheelspin to get around especially from a stop) and I found that the traction control was very intrusive and tended to overreact in the snow. Also, if you have a 6-speed shift at low rpms and be extra smooth with the clutch because you will fishtail if anything is done too quickly(which is fun unless you're in traffic). You could also try starting in second to cut down on the torque which should help a little if you're just spinning the tires. I did notice that stopping is a bit tricky with this car in snow/ice but if you take it slow and downshift you'll be fine. Hopefully someone with an SRT can give some better advice for your specific setup(20in and F1 tires) but in any case snow tires would definitely help if those performance tires are causing trouble. Congratulations on getting the coolest car around, get used to everyone stopping to take a look at it. Drive safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
F1s are strictly summer tires and are not even recommended for perfectly dry roads in temperatures below ~40 degrees. They would need to come off in an area where there is snow on the ground. Where I live it gets cold (into single digits sometimes) but the roads stay dry for the most part. I have not removed my F1s but I can tell you they don't grip fer shiat on a cold dry road. When we get the rare snow I drive my Land Cruiser.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
1,987 Posts
I just traded in my R/T (18 inch stuuded tires, worked well in the snow and great on ice) for a SRT this week. The SRT had the F1's and it took 3 of us pushing to get it out of it's parking spot (below zero and frost on the pavement). If you have real winters get snow tires for the season. As noted by cruiserdan the make up of the F1's just will not work for winter.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
Like everyone has said, F1s are a summer tire. Under 40 degrees you will lose traction. If you drive your car in the winter, I would recommend getting Blizzak snow tires tires, either in a 20" diameter or smaller size (if you are getting new rims). See link below:

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/index.jsp

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I concur with those recommending winter tires, or at the very least ditching the SUmmer-ONLY tires for all seasons. Tires are not all the same. Also, narrower is better in the snow.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
This is the tire you want Pirelli snow and ice scorpion.

No pushing ! :)

·
Premium Member
3,010 Posts
Others have said it but in case you need more votes - get yourself a set of winter tires. Do not go wider with the winter tires, it hurts the traction.

I don't drive my Challenger in the winter but I did drive high powered muscle cars year round for many years and always used studded winter tires and never once got stuck (used some sense to go with the tires).

If I were going to use the Challenger as a DD in the winter in our area, I would be running studded winter tires on all 4 corners. We get a lot of wet ice conditions around 32F here.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, great advice from everyone here, and thank you all

will set out for Blizzak's or the Pirelli snow and ice scorpion

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I also have snow tires, Firestone Winterforce, and they plow through snow and manage the steep hill I drive daily without any trouble.

If I'd known how much better snows handle in the winter, I'd have put them on previous cars too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
hey jordanjacob, what year is your srt? i believe the early 08 models have an open differential too,which would only allow 1 rear wheel to get traction to the ground....

·
Registered
24 Posts
good call on the pirelli scorpions snows. i have on my srt8 6 speed. no issues whatsoever. we have had over 45 inches of snow so far this december. my 2nd winter on these tires.. 245/45/20 all the way around

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
hey jordanjacob, what year is your srt? i believe the early 08 models have an open differential too,which would only allow 1 rear wheel to get traction to the ground....
None of the 2008 SRTs have a limited slip differential. That change came on the 2009 model.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I am not positive, but pretty darn sure that it is against a federal law to drive SRT's in the snow. I am not taking any chances-just gonna leave mine in the garage till the grass turns green again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I were going to use the Challenger as a DD in the winter in our area, I would be running studded winter tires on all 4 corners. We get a lot of wet ice conditions around 32F here.
Check your local laws before doing this. Studded tires are illegal here (Wisconsin)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts