Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had new tires put on my 09 SRT8 today. I put BFG TA KDWs on the front and back. When 245/40/20 in front and 295/40/20 in back. I still have the stock wheels.

Anyway, on the rears there is very little room between the inside of the tire and the wall of the wheel well. What are my options on wheel adapters? I'd rather not do wheel spacers because I think the bolts will be too short.

Who makes adapters specifically for our cars? Anyone have a similar problem when putting on bigger tires?

·
Banned
863 Posts
If you do a search on the internet, you will find that many companies make adapters but I would avoid this. Adapters are used for wheels that just won't fit Period - extreme cases.
You can get away with a 5 mm spacer to bump out the rear.
BUT - If it is not rubbing, why put anything on? Many in here put the same size BFG/GY etc... on the rear with the stock rims - no problems.
Search is your friend...search for 295/40/20 in here and you will thank me. I know you have just enough room to fit an eraser in there but that would be my goal anyway. I don't like how Dodge gave us narrow wheel wells.
If it makes you nervous - just add a spacer, very common, typical rule is that you don't exceed 7 mm. If you do go more than 7mm, you would need to knock out the studs and put longer ones in there to be safe. You want the nuts to catch as deep as you can.
BTW - great choice on the tire, great look, great price and BFG's run wide.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm worried about. Only an eraser's thickness in clearance! Are you saying it won't rub going around a curve or making a turn?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Banned
863 Posts
^^^^^
No guarantee but I had wheels on many cars that were a 1/4 inch from the wells or lip and had no problems. Don't worry, if it rubs, you will hear it. There is plastic in there, not like it is sharp metal. You won't have a blow out.
I would just let it roll!
Like I said before, many have put the same size tire on the stock rims with no issues on this forum (that I know of). Some have even tossed Nitto 315's on the backs.
Good Luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts