Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car is in the shop and I asked them to remove the pinstripe that originally came with the car in order to put my custom stripes on. They told me that they cannot remove the original pinstripes because somebody originally has clear coated over the stripes so it could pull off the paint. Is this true? Is there any other alternative. I have this bad ass stripe kit that needs to go on and now this happens. Suggestions??

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yikes... Thats tricky. Yea u def dont wanna pull of that pinstripe if its under the clear coat. Unless u wanna repaint the panels the stripe is on. Why someone would clearcoat over a pinstripe is beyond me...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes... Thats tricky. Yea u def dont wanna pull of that pinstripe if its under the clear coat. Unless u wanna repaint the panels the stripe is on. Why someone would clearcoat over a pinstripe is beyond me...

They actually told me it was the whole car. Both sides

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Those definitely aren't stock pinstripes...very likely someone had them put on with the clear. The only way to remove it would be to use a razor to carefully cut it out or wet sand along the line. In both instances you are going to ruin the clear and would likely require reapplication. Take it to a body shop and see what they can do.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Oh wow, that sucks bad lol. If its actually under the clear, its staying in there unless u repaint it.

Reactions: LoyalLeef

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
That appears to be an aftermarket pin stripe. Can you feel the edges with your fingernails? If so, it's probably not clearcoated and I'd get a second opinion from another shop. I agree with prior comments on why someone would clearcoat a decal? Are you sure those pinstripes are not painted on? If they are, you'll have to have them professionally removed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That appears to be an aftermarket pin stripe. Can you feel the edges with your fingernails? If so, it's probably not clearcoated and I'd get a second opinion from another shop. I agree with prior comments on why someone would clearcoat a decal? Are you sure those pinstripes are not painted on? If they are, you'll have to have them professionally removed.

Yeah I can actually feel it. It has to come off I'm sick of it

·
Registered
505 Posts
Did you plastidip the wheels? I like the look.

Wouldn't hurt going to another shop to get another opinion. You may get lucky and the other place didn't know what they were talking about.

Reactions: LoyalLeef

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You don't have tons of options here, you try to dig out the old stuff you going to leave a crater. If the new stripes cover the current ones they could spray clear into the crater left by the old stripe till it high enough to wetsand level. Then once your stripes are on it will cover where this was done. If you want it done right both side will need to be recleared after the old stripe is dug out, EXPENSIVE.

IF, they really did clear over the current stripe you MIGHT be able just to try to level it by wetsanding, leaving the old stripe embedded where it's at and putting your new stripe over the top (again assuming it covers).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You don't have tons of options here, you try to dig out the old stuff you going to leave a crater. If the new stripes cover the current ones they could spray clear into the crater left by the old stripe till it high enough to wetsand level. Then once your stripes are on it will cover where this was done. If you want it done right both side will need to be recleared after the old stripe is dug out, EXPENSIVE.

IF, they really did clear over the current stripe you MIGHT be able just to try to level it by wetsanding, leaving the old stripe embedded where it's at and putting your new stripe over the top (again assuming it covers).

Doesn't cover it at all. Have a hood decal and c stripe

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
ugh. tough one man.

if you were looking to get a new paint job or vinyl wrap it, this might be your excuse to do it now.

hope you find a solution.
Seems like a lot of $$$ to drop for a stripe on a V6 car if he has to repaint the whole car just to put some other stripe back on. Think you need to learn to like what you have.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Seems like a lot of $$$ to drop for a stripe on a V6 car if he has to repaint the whole car just to put some other stripe back on. Think you need to learn to like what you have.
That fact that it's a V6 (if it is) has no bearing on anything whatsoever. And he's already made it clear the new stripes will be a different style.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That fact that it's a V6 (if it is) has no bearing on anything whatsoever. And he's already made it clear the new stripes will be a different style.
So what? Is it worth repainting the entire car for some stripes?? He has to decide that, not us but I wouldn't do it, probably cost 1/4 of what the cars worth to do what he wants.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So what? Is it worth repainting the entire car for some stripes?? He has to decide that, not us but I wouldn't do it, probably cost 1/4 of what the cars worth to do what he wants.

Yeah def dnt wanna paint it over. I'm not spending that kinda money. Just wanted a new look plus already have the stripe kit I'm my trunk. Didn't think I would run into this kinda problem

·
Registered
404 Posts
I hope you find a solution, man. I have no idea why anyone would clear over such a small pinstripe.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I hope you find a solution, man. I have no idea why anyone would clear over such a small pinstripe.
I cleared my painted stripes on my Vette, it protects them and it looks great when it all smooth, not sticking up off the paint. If his stripes were painted on (which is what I suspect) it would add to the pain for him. What I did was shot 2-3 coates of clear, let it dry for a day or 2, wetsanded again and shot 2-3 more coats of clear. Last wetsand leveled everything out smooth which he could do here but the new stripes would need to cover the old ones since they would still be there. Either way, lots of work for little upside IMHO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts