Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone...

Installed a magnason supercharger, 5# pully with water/meth injec. Prior to the s/c install i was at 448 hp and 407 torque on a mustang dyno. My mods were 90 mm throttle body, arrington 586 cam, heads were ported and flowed , kooks long tubes all tuned proper. After the install i hit 480 0n the torque but barely hit 500 on the rwhp far from the numbers magnacharger claims. The maggie is initially hitting 5# of boost then drops off to 3# near the top of the run having a time trying to work that one out. I am only thinking the upgraded heads and cam are not working in sync with the entire operation. I need some help on this one. New cam install? Bigger boost ? I had thought to forge the 6.1 to a lower compression, up the boost and have a custom camshaft ground ? help please and thank u ... :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Who did the install and tune? Did you talk to them about it?

First thought is that you're not making much boost at all. That maggie is going to struggle filling up a 6.1 with high flow heads, LTs, cam, etc. on the stock pullley, which is probably why you're seeing less backpressure (boost).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keven Macmillian did the intall at macmillian speed and fabrication in oxnard ca. The tuner is very capable and is one of the best in norther california Miles at Fineline imports. My first thought was to put a 7# pulley , however the bottom end is stock and that causes some concern. We are ready to initiate the 426 stroker kit however with this maggie struggling on a 6.1 i doubt it will ever keep up with a larger displacement. I have high flo cats as mid pipes and straight mids are being shipped now. Your thoughts... and thank u ....

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Keven Macmillian did the intall at macmillian speed and fabrication in oxnard ca. The tuner is very capable and is one of the best in norther california Miles at Fineline imports. My first thought was to put a 7# pulley , however the bottom end is stock and that causes some concern. We are ready to initiate the 426 stroker kit however with this maggie struggling on a 6.1 i doubt it will ever keep up with a larger displacement. I have high flo cats as mid pipes and straight mids are being shipped now. Your thoughts... and thank u ....
Lot going on here.

First of all, do you have the graph from your dyno pull? That would help. Heck, you could be running out of fuel up top. Are you running a BAP? What size injectors (presumably the ones from the Maggie kit)?

Second, what are your goals with the car? Are you looking for a very fast street car or something which will dominate at the track. If it's a very fast street car, I would stick with the maggie and your stock motor, sort out your current issue, then up the boost a bit.

If you're going for a track beast, a 426 and a maggie will honestly not be the best combo. I think it would a real handful on the street but you're just not going to be able to spin that blower enough to keep a 426 filled up if you're looking for big time power. Not saying you can't run that combo, just that in my opinion you a larger blower is more appropriate for a big inch stroker like that. The maggie has a limit of probably around 650rwhp regardless of the motor.

One other thing, do your research. Don't just do what your local speed shop tells you. They're making money on the blower install and tune and will presumably make more installing the 426 for you. As for your tuner, I've never heard of him. Is he just be using the canned Maggie tune which comes with the blower?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I talked to your tuner on Monday. I think your problem is your cam. It is NOT a blower cam and more than likely has too much overlap. That is why you are seeing such a profound boost drop. This supercharger should create a consistent level of boost. Its dropping off like it does shows me that your cam is working against the efficiency of the blower as you are actually blowing boost out of the combustion chamber. If you put a blower-specific cam in there then you would be making much more power and seeing a more consistent boost level.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you're going for a track beast, a 426 and a maggie will honestly not be the best combo. I think it would a real handful on the street but you're just not going to be able to spin that blower enough to keep a 426 filled up if you're looking for big time power. Not saying you can't run that combo, just that in my opinion you a larger blower is more appropriate for a big inch stroker like that. The maggie has a limit of probably around 650rwhp regardless of the motor.
Actually our MP2300 is easily capable of making 850rwhp. What limits its output on the MOPAR applications is the tiny crank pulley that they run from the factory. That is why most of the "high-boost" kits come with a pretty aggressive Overdrive Balancer. I believe Arrington is working on an Independent Drive system that will allow you to run a much larger crank pulley for the blower while still maintaining the stock one for your accessories to keep from wearing them out prematurely.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Actually our MP2300 is easily capable of making 850rwhp. What limits its output on the MOPAR applications is the tiny crank pulley that they run from the factory. That is why most of the "high-boost" kits come with a pretty aggressive Overdrive Balancer. I believe Arrington is working on an Independent Drive system that will allow you to run a much larger crank pulley for the blower while still maintaining the stock one for your accessories to keep from wearing them out prematurely.
Great, but are any of your customers running more than 650rwhp on an LX today?

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I'll take that as a "no" :)

Hey, I'm not trying to give you a hard time or derail this thread. I think the Maggie is a great product actually. It does some things better than other blowers and some things worse, just like everything else it's a question of personal preference and suitability.

My point is just the you can't build your card based on hopes and dreams (or what company X or Y says they will have at some point in the future). I'm rooting for ya. The more competition, the better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like this could have all been avoided .. i explained my engine set up prior to the install. Miles is doing his own tune, he has the preditor diagnostics and is in touch with them in regards to any problems. I would enjoy a car that is fast on the street and runs good times, (11's) at the track. During the install my 90 mm throttle body was used and the neck of the maggie was modified unsuccesfully causing a vacum leak. This prompted me to replace at my cost the front section of the supercharger then opted to reapply the stock throttle body. So my understanding is we are blaming the cam? Jon I will replace , re dyno and should this magna charger system fail to live to the billing would you back your product with a full refund. I have less than a 1000 miles on it so far. I would love to keep it as i have nearly 10k invested towards it so far. Since you have my tuners information any help you can give is great. I am not trying to bash any product here or install i am simply trying to fix the problem and get back to driving my car that i love.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Seems like this could have all been avoided .. i explained my engine set up prior to the install. Miles is doing his own tune, he has the preditor diagnostics and is in touch with them in regards to any problems. I would enjoy a car that is fast on the street and runs good times, (11's) at the track. During the install my 90 mm throttle body was used and the neck of the maggie was modified unsuccesfully causing a vacum leak. This prompted me to replace at my cost the front section of the supercharger then opted to reapply the stock throttle body. So my understanding is we are blaming the cam? Jon I will replace , re dyno and should this magna charger system fail to live to the billing would you back your product with a full refund. I have less than a 1000 miles on it so far. I would love to keep it as i have nearly 10k invested towards it so far. Since you have my tuners information any help you can give is great. I am not trying to bash any product here or install i am simply trying to fix the problem and get back to driving my car that i love.
The cam being the problem is my best guess. I would defer to a modded Hemi Expert like Arrington Engines to diagnose exactly what is going on in regards to the compatibility of your modifications with the supercharger as they have probably more experience than anyone with that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lakers fan.. yes i do have the dyno pull, yes the injectors are upgraded as specified by magnacharger. This has turned into fairly large can of worms for me and i just dont want to throw good money after bad. Also for anyone who is interested my mpg on the hwy has gone from 23 (pre boost) to 17 (post boost) which is probably the single most disappointing aspect of the modification. Like i said previously i am simply trying to fix this problem. I did my research as best i could and opted for the magna charger as i believed it was top notch. I hope in the end i am not disappointed .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I noticed the question about backing your product was disregard during your reply about the cam i am assuming that was accidentally missed. Believe me as the customer i am backing my choice in your product and will pursue a fix to this issue however should the cam not be the issue what are u prepared to do to make this situation right ?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lakers fan.. yes i do have the dyno pull, yes the injectors are upgraded as specified by magnacharger. This has turned into fairly large can of worms for me and i just dont want to throw good money after bad. Also for anyone who is interested my mpg on the hwy has gone from 23 (pre boost) to 17 (post boost) which is probably the single most disappointing aspect of the modification. Like i said previously i am simply trying to fix this problem. I did my research as best i could and opted for the magna charger as i believed it was top notch. I hope in the end i am not disappointed .

I would suggest taking a step back and re-evaluating what you have built. As explained in person (by me) and several different posts in this thread you have a camshaft installed that is NOT boost friendly. This would explain the boost dropping off on the top end as a N/A cam is designed to scavenge the exhaust therefore not allowing the pressure to build from the blower. Without sounding like I am pointing fingers or making excuses, you need to understand that you did not have the proper foundation built for the blower from the beginning. No matter what you put on there for a supercharger the problem will be the same.

As for the blower making power, it is more than capable of flowing enough air to do what you have planned WITH the proper foundation. Flow numbers do not lie, the blower will support what you are planning.

My suggestion is for you to find a HEMI specific tuner that can help you with your modded 6.1. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to call me anytime. It is our goal to make sure you are happy, no matter what it takes.

B

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This problem should have been recognized by the installer who was on your r & d team for quite some time prior to install. I am not pointing fingers either and am willing to do a camshaft replacement asap. I am more than happy to install a camshaft that is boost friendly. Can u recommend one ? I can have it installed and before and after dyno numbers posted. Thank u for helping and all your quick responses.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have initiated research from arrington they are attempting to find a solution to the situation now. I will post results and findings.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just fyi nobody told me in person i had a cam shaft that was unfriendly to boost ....................... just making that point clear. Regards.

·
Banned
241 Posts
If someone could invent a SC with a post boost of a higher MPG than a pre boost, they would corner the market. As disappointing as it may be to lose gas mileage I do not think anyone that installs performance parts such as a supercharger cares about gas mileage. To go fast means more gas !!!! Good luck with you performance mod as I'm sure you will enjoy the added power.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
If someone could invent a SC with a post boost of a higher MPG than a pre boost, they would corner the market. As disappointing as it may be to lose gas mileage I do not think anyone that installs performance parts such as a supercharger cares about gas mileage. To go fast means more gas !!!! Good luck with you performance mod as I'm sure you will enjoy the added power.
I think he meant before and after installation, while not in boost (normal driving). Magnuson claims a bit better gas mileage if you stay out of boost than stock. When I was looking at superchargers that was one of there many selling points.

My question for the OP is did Magnuson know what cam you had before they sold it to you? If that's the case I would expect them to refund your money if requested. I feel your pain, it would suck to be constantly fussing with your car and not driving it.

I opted for the Kenne Bell, made to much power for me and had them tune it back with larger pulley and timing. Car was in the shop for 12hrs and has not needed a retune or anything other than gas since the original install.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts