Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a stock 13 challenger r/t . Just installed a jba Catless mid along with dynomax mini bullets. bot muffler and res. deleted. When I start it up its has the deep, throaty sound I like, but when I press down on the gas and the rpms go up the loudness fades into super high pitched tone. when I go to give it some power it sounds like a high pitched machine gun. Im just wondering what you all would recommend me do to go from an annoying metallic like loud to a more aggressive pure sounding loud when accelerating.. honestly the louder the better drone or not I simply want the loudness to keep increasing the more I accelerate. im a fan the rasps crackles and pops but it has to sound good. id like to know, first, stuff I could add on or take off that wouldn't cost a lot or even if a tune will fix the problem but would alsonlove some input on other routes I could take later on such as headers, Catback exhaust ect. that could get me the sound im after!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you are running stock exhaust manifolds you are not going to get a nice exhaust tone as the pressure pulses are garbled by the log type manifolds. As MiHiHemi stated, long tubes will make a difference and smooth out the pulses (better scavenging). A tune will only help get the fueling correct but really won't do much for exhaust tone. Although you can tune for backfires when you let off the gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum. If you are running stock exhaust manifolds you are not going to get a nice exhaust tone as the pressure pulses are garbled by the log type manifolds. As MiHiHemi stated, long tubes will make a difference and smooth out the pulses (better scavenging). A tune will only help get the fueling correct but really won't do much for exhaust tone. Although you can tune for backfires when you let off the gas.
okay that makes since! which header set up would you recommend? I've done a lot of research all on types of headers they are just so expensive. is there any you would prefer sound/price over jba?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I have a stock 13 challenger r/t . Just installed a jba Catless mid along with dynomax mini bullets. bot muffler and res. deleted. When I start it up its has the deep, throaty sound I like, but when I press down on the gas and the rpms go up the loudness fades into super high pitched tone. when I go to give it some power it sounds like a high pitched machine gun. Im just wondering what you all would recommend me do to go from an annoying metallic like loud to a more aggressive pure sounding loud when accelerating.. honestly the louder the better drone or not I simply want the loudness to keep increasing the more I accelerate. im a fan the rasps crackles and pops but it has to sound good. id like to know, first, stuff I could add on or take off that wouldn't cost a lot or even if a tune will fix the problem but would alsonlove some input on other routes I could take later on such as headers, Catback exhaust ect. that could get me the sound im after!
i straight piped my 19 scat pack and did not like the sound, i ended up with just the resonators at the very back of the car and sound great. screams going down the track with crackles and pops as you slow down. if you want loud, try "cut outs" installed as far forward as possible, you can get the electric ones with key fob remote for 160 each. a guy at my local track has them on his charger and he will open and shut them in the staging lanes and watch people looking for a dragster, its loud.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
okay that makes since! which header set up would you recommend? I've done a lot of research all on types of headers they are just so expensive. is there any you would prefer sound/price over jba?
I went with Stainless Works as I was able to get them on sale 25% off (have to check my emails for final price) with high flow cats and shipped. The SW long tubes use a slip on connection to the collector which can be a pain to slide off but they tuck under the car quite well. However, plenty of guys running other brands which Kooks seems to be the most popular. Install cost seems to run between $800-$1000 depending on where you live. I installed my own and is a bit of a pain on the 5.7s as they have a heat shield over the manifolds and the engine mount bracket stud on the passenger side is a punk. Although the hardest part seems to be threading the new bolts for the headers...if you have fat fingers like me be prepared to cuss the entire time.

As I mentioned before RTs use a log type exhaust manifold which is different than a scat pack so I would not go comparing sounds from a scat as they will sound different, not to mention the cam is more aggressive on a scat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Jba long tubes is my suggestion. I paid like $375 for stainless from eBay. The install was straightforward and required no crazy modifications or jacking up the motor like some suggest. You will need a lot of ratchet extensions and wobble sockets. Took me like 8 hours by myself. On the floor with no lift. Buy the factory OEM gaskets and throw away the ones provided. They are thin and seem junky.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
The install was straightforward and required no crazy modifications or jacking up the motor like some suggest.
Maybe the pre-2015s are easier to install but the +2015 RTs have a pesky long stud (~3" long) that makes the passenger side difficult. One could use a sawzall to trim the stud to slide the headers in but that bolt cannot be take out without lifting the engine.

Looks like 2010 passenger engine bracket is different from other years.

+2013 RT models.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i straight piped my 19 scat pack and did not like the sound, i ended up with just the resonators at the very back of the car and sound great. screams going down the track with crackles and pops as you slow down. if you want loud, try "cut outs" installed as far forward as possible, you can get the electric ones with key fob remote for 160 each. a guy at my local track has them on his charger and he will open and shut them in the staging lanes and watch people looking for a dragster, its loud.
where could I find those online? I installed the mini bullets where the resonators use to be so I don't know how I would go about switching them back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jba long tubes is my suggestion. I paid like $375 for stainless from eBay. The install was straightforward and required no crazy modifications or jacking up the motor like some suggest. You will need a lot of ratchet extensions and wobble sockets. Took me like 8 hours by myself. On the floor with no lift. Buy the factory OEM gaskets and throw away the ones provided. They are thin and seem junky.
dang all the jbas I was looking at were like 5 or 6 hundred but I also didn't check eBay, ill go take a look! if I put on headers would the Catless mid sound better than a high Flo cat? I live in oklahoma so there's no smog rules too

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,172 Posts
I run high flows with SW's 2" primary headers and I was shocked at how quiet the exhaust note was. Here are some sound samples. Removing the mid mufflers makes it sound throaty but I suspect the cats are muffling the sound. Unfortunately the sound samples are taken before I installed the 6.2 cam which does seem to make the idle exhaust note a tad bit throatier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I run high flows with SW's 2" primary headers and I was shocked at how quiet the exhaust note was. Here are some sound samples. Removing the mid mufflers makes it sound throaty but I suspect the cats are muffling the sound. Unfortunately the sound samples are taken before I installed the 6.2 cam which does seem to make the idle exhaust note a tad bit throatier.

dude this was a huge help!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts