Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me. I was putting a Billet Catch Can on my 2010 Challenger RT Classic. I hooked everything up per instructions. For some reason I forgot to plug the electric connector to the IAT sensor. I started the car and heard a whistle and saw the malfunction light come on. Shut off the car and noticed I didn't plug the connector to the sensor. I then restarted the car and had the engine malfunction light still on on solid not blinking. The book said for a solid light sometime it bad gas other times the gas cap or other issues it should clear itself in several driving cycles. I'm assuming the fact that I replug it back into the sensor, it should clear itself in several driving cycles. My question is what is a driving cycle. I ran some errands and stop and started the car about 3 times and light is still on. Is each one of those considered a driving cycle? Or does the car have to cool down and then drive it another day. Also what is several cycles (how many). Do you think the fact I plugged it back in it will correct itself and the light go out. Any trick to resetting the light without a handheld tool. Any help or education on this will be helpful.
Mike

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
The above ^ should work.

On the newer next Gen controller however this will no longer clear from memory, it may just go stored but stay in the background as stored. Its best if you explain and have a good relation with either your Dealer or another shop and just get it cleared. Reason being is if you ever have a concern in the future that stored code may complicate the daig.

As to warm up cycles, the rule of thumb as follows:
Vehicle is driven through a COLD start into HOT (aprox 140deg) 3 times. So just starting and driving around without letting it cool down does not count. Also the window in which the fault was active (call it a window) has to be meet without the concern returning and the fault will self clear.

Its just best to have it cleared period.

Good Luck

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vanishing point, thanks for the info. Is my computer considered next gen, or will disconnecting battery take care of it. I may drive it a few times more and if it doesn't clear then disconnect the battery assuming I'm not "next gen". Mine is a 2010

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I had the same problem when I first attached my BT catch can. I had a loose hose and the light activated. I disconnected the battery for about 10-15 minutes and the light went off. I still might have it stored in the memory and probably need to have the system cleared.

·
Registered
442 Posts
code reader

go to auto zone or better yet get on amazon and buy the simple code reader ($50) and always have the ability to read your codes, reset the codes without having to go to auto zone or dealer..

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Vanishing point, thanks for the info. Is my computer considered next gen, or will disconnecting battery take care of it. I may drive it a few times more and if it doesn't clear then disconnect the battery assuming I'm not "next gen". Mine is a 2010
You will be fine just do the Battery Disconnect.
If possible its just easy on your system and electrical components to have them cleared by a scanner, most do the PCM clearing but don't have the ability to clear some modules and are "read" only with other modules in your vehicle.

As said most aftermarket shops, Autozone and such do it for free...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for their help. Autozone told me that they are not allowed to clear the codes. So I probably buy a unit and see if it clears itself. Any recommendation for a decent unit? I will check on Amazon as Big D suggested.
It's nice having these forums and the willingness for folks to help.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I got an OBDII reader from Harbor Freight and it works fine.

Watch for the ads when it goes on sale and use the (frequently available) 25% off coupon for more savings.

Cen-Tech - item#60794

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry I was confusing Yellow Jacket. I meant to get a code reader that has the capability to reset the check engine light and read the code. I was fortunate today that my 2nd cycle driving the car cleared the code. But I still will pruchase a code reader just to have in my garage.
Again thanks to all for the help. This forum is a great resource.
Mike

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks to Google I didn't need to start a new thread. I did as exactly what the O.P. stated he did. Glad to see I'm not the 1st to set it off. Good info on clearing it. Thanks for those still active on here. See it's from 2014 LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts