Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

FULL STORY & GALLERY --> HEMI

Dodge and Mopar brands are “shaking” it up at the 2013 Specialty Equipment Market Association’s (SEMA) annual show in Las Vegas. The two Detroit-born brands are teaming up to reveal the new 2014 Challenger R/T Shaker and Mopar ’14 Challenger models, all engineered for hard-core enthusiasts who demand more throwback style with easily upgradable performance.

“The legendary Shaker performance hood is back, with its engine-mounted, fully floating scoop and exposed high-flow element that produces cold-air induction – making the new 2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker the real deal,” said Tim Kuniskis, President and CEO of Dodge Brand. “With Challenger having its best sales-year ever, the time is right to provide our most loyal fans with the return of the Shaker, and even more power with new ‘Scat Package,’ performance stage kits.”

“With Mopar engineers working alongside Dodge designers and engineers, we created these factory-proven products to amplify performance and style in a way that no one else can,” said Pietro Gorlier, President and CEO of Mopar, Chrysler Group LLC’s service, parts and customer-care brand. “The ‘Shaker’, ‘Scat Packages’ and our new Mopar ’14 celebrate customized performance.”

2014 Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker
Injecting a fresh shot of heritage into the Challenger lineup, the new 2014 R/T Shaker model features unique throwback muscle-car cues that link directly to Dodge brand’s performance legacy.

As the model name suggests, the legendary “cold-air grabbing” Shaker not only looks good with its Satin Black center-mounted hood scoop, snorkeling up from the engine compartment, it also directs cooler air back into the HEMI® V-8 engine. And like the original 1970 Challenger R/T with the Shaker hood, the new 2014 model continues the Dodge tradition of an engine-mounted hood scoop that “shakes” with the powertrain’s movement.

Designed for muscle-car buffs who can’t help but tinker with their toys, the Challenger R/T Shaker features the 5.7-liter HEMI V-8 engine producing over 400 lb.-ft. of torque, with a functional Shaker hood with Mopar cold-air intake, conical air filter and optimized air box for improved airflow and performance. Lift the hood and enthusiasts will also be treated to an under-hood “Shaker” badge – reminiscent of the 1970s original.

In addition to its driver-selectable sport-mode powertrain calibration, performance-tuned suspension, four-wheel disc brakes and steering calibration, the Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker includes the Super Track Pak, with high-performance steering gear, brake linings and monotube shock absorbers, P245/45R20 Goodyear Eagle F1 Super Car three-season tires and three-mode electronic stability control (ESC) with “full off” mode. All-season performance tires are available at no extra charge.

The new engine setup provides a new factory-designed foundation to maximize three all-new Dodge “Scat Packages,” enabling customers to unleash even more power from their Challenger R/T Shaker.

For a dynamically striking look, a new “Shaker style” Satin Black hood, roof and deck-lid stripe graphics visually translate this Dodge Challenger model’s name, while a Satin Black deck-lid spoiler provides the added downforce needed for 155 mph max-speed runs. For contrast, a body-color grille surround and Gloss Black fuel-filler door are added, while all-new 20 x 8-inch polished-face aluminum wheels with black pockets and a satin “matte” clear coat feature a sculptured five-spoke design. For added detail, “Shaker” badges flank both sides of the hood scoop, while “HEMI” fender badges and a new “Challenger” grille badge in classic script completes the iconic exterior.

On the inside, the new Dodge Challenger R/T Shaker features a unique three-spoke flat-bottom leather-wrapped performance steering wheel with black accent finish and integrated vehicle controls. Corresponding with the steering wheel is a unique “K-Black” painted instrument panel and center-console bezel for a discrete look. Matching the “Shaker” numbered dash plaque are door bolsters with graduated accent stitching that mirrors the logo’s artistic reverberation. High-performance front seats with aggressive bolsters in premium Nappa Leather in Dark Slate Gray with Sepia accent stitching or Radar Red with Radar Red stitching, feature the “Shaker” logo embroidered on the seat back, along with unique graduated horizontal plow-throughs. For additional detail, the center console armrest is also leather wrapped and finished with accent thread. The aluminum pistol-grip shifter mated to a track-proven Tremec six-speed manual transmission is standard, while a black leather-wrapped shift-knob and die-cast paddle shifters on the back of the steering wheel are available for those who opt for the performance-tuned five-speed automatic.

Adding to the customized interior environment, with one press of the start button, the Shaker logo appears on the available 6.5-inch Uconnect touchscreen.

The new 2014 Challenger R/T Shaker will arrive at Dodge dealerships in the first-quarter of 2014 with pricing for this very well-equipped model starting at just $36,995 U.S. MSRP ($37,495 with the custom one-of-a-kind hood-to-tail stripes), representing a walk of only $2,500 from the Challenger R/T Classic for all of the unique features of this limited production model.

The new Challenger R/T Shaker is available in Billet Silver Metallic, Bright White, Pitch Black, Plum Crazy, TorRed and vibrant Header Orange.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Interesting package at a decent price from the factory honestly. Glad they offer the package in a few other colors too.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'm curious about that price because it does say "starting at". If it includes everything listed there then yeah that's fantastic. I've been pricing out an RT Plus blacktop with sound group II, and the 430 touch screen. It prices out just under 36k msrp. This had all of that and then some for another grand. I'm a big fan of those seats too which now come on the classic but can't bring myself to go that route just for the seats. This on the other hand is a game changer.

·
Registered
594 Posts
To bad it's just a tiny tube going from the shaker to a "hot air" intake....

·
Registered
828 Posts
To bad it's just a tiny tube going from the shaker to a "hot air" intake....

This setup doesn't look too bad.... don't know how you could make it any better.

·
Registered
594 Posts

This setup doesn't look too bad.... don't know how you could make it any better.
AFR is leaps and bounds better, it could be better being a fully inclosed shaker like AFR. But they have to conform to emissions and noise standards that aftermarket AFR shaker hoods don't.

·
Registered
828 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,187 Posts
I might get flamed for this...BUT LOL

This will probably get the same horespower gains as all the other shaker hoods out there :icon_eek:

I think its great to make it a factory option! If you want to change out the CAI to something else - I bet it would not be all that hard :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Other than the direct intake version of the AFR posted above, how is this not any better than all the other CAIs out there? It's all the same principle but this has air being forced right to the filter. Am I missing something? I don't get why ppl are knocking it?

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm not knocking anything, just saying AFR is more of a true shaker. Also I would never pay for an exposed under hood cold air intake sucking in all that engine heat. That's why I got a Legmaker true cold air fender pull.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
should have been an option from day 1 in 2007

it would have been nice in 2007+ to have this be unique to the SRT.....ive always said Dodge makes the RT's look better than the SRT's....its still true...the shaker looks great....I will be jealous when it comes out

what about engine performance? they talk about it a bit w/ no specifics....is this car going to have extra HP?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
its all around a crappy design .... its not ramming air any where ... when the CAI sucks it will pull from any and all air around it ... some from the bottom some from the top ... very lil do I think it will pull from the top .... AFR is the ONLY way to go for a shaker ... all the rest suck canal water .... JMO ... I want one and when I di it ... it will be AFR no doubt .. should be sold as a shaker look package ... lol

·
Registered
263 Posts
its all around a crappy design .... its not ramming air any where ... when the CAI sucks it will pull from any and all air around it ... some from the bottom some from the top ... very lil do I think it will pull from the top .... AFR is the ONLY way to go for a shaker ... all the rest suck canal water .... JMO ... I want one and when I di it ... it will be AFR no doubt .. should be sold as a shaker look package ... lol
I have an AFR and was excited to read this article until I saw the shaker pic. Looks good but that's all it is. I'm sticking with AFR.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
should have been an option from day 1 in 2007

it would have been nice in 2007+ to have this be unique to the SRT.....ive always said Dodge makes the RT's look better than the SRT's....its still true...the shaker looks great....I will be jealous when it comes out

what about engine performance? they talk about it a bit w/ no specifics....is this car going to have extra HP?
More HP for the R/T in the 3 Scat Pack stage packages. Looks like up to 100-150 HP for the stage 3 which includes short tube headers, cat back, cam, tune, and heads. SRT owners won't be too happy about that either. They won't have the suspension and brake upgrades etc. so the SRTs will still have that.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Yes AFR is more of a true design, but you are wrong in that the Cervinis airbox is sealed from the engine compartment. Only place it sucks air from is the stock location just like all the other CAIs. And neither version gets much if any ram air effect. A shaker is completely an appearance mod. Plus if you have a 5.7 and want to run a supercharger, I don't believe AFR is compatible yet...although someone correct me if they finally fixed that.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Yes AFR is more of a true design, but you are wrong in that the Cervinis airbox is sealed from the engine compartment. Only place it sucks air from is the stock location just like all the other CAIs. And neither version gets much if any ram air effect. A shaker is completely an appearance mod. Plus if you have a 5.7 and want to run a supercharger, I don't believe AFR is compatible yet...although someone correct me if they finally fixed that.
TRE t the SC part your rite .... but the AFR strictly pulls from the shaker part up top if you were to put your hand in front of it when the hood closed you will feel it want to suck your hand in again it only pulls fron the top outside air .. all other pull from the factory CAI and very very lil from the top ....

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
TRE t the SC part your rite .... but the AFR strictly pulls from the shaker part up top if you were to put your hand in front of it when the hood closed you will feel it want to suck your hand in again it only pulls fron the top outside air .. all other pull from the factory CAI and very very lil from the top ....
I agree with that, but there's a reason that modern intakes pull air from the fender well where there's a pocket of ambient air (which is why the Legmaker True CAI/fender pull is so cool and has shown proven gains). Plus, there's a reason the AFR comes with a rain shield...don't want to pull water from a heavy storm right into your intake. Again, AFR is a cool design and I probably would have went that way if it weren't for the limitations on adding FI down the road to my 5.7.

Before Dalton RT jumps in over "hot air intakes", I wanted to post this thread as well (which I think you may have already seen). Doesn't matter if there's a heat shield or not. Primary factors are the design and materials used in the CAI (again, which is why Legmaker makes a shorter hammer/ram intake).

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f170/interesting-observation-about-temps-cai-vs-stock-air-box-81711/

1 - 20 of 53 Posts