Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Hemi tick?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  10ovr 
#1 ·
I purchased my big whale last year, I love the car. I've never owned a Dodge, from what I hear they have a hemi tick? When I drive my RT especially at low RPM's I hear a ticking noise, it's only at low RPMS should I have it checked it out or is that normal? I also had another question I changed my oil at 1900 the first time the car has 5000 miles now, should I change it now? or wait till 6k?

#2 · (Edited)
That tick is normal, at low RPM's. I changed to Mobil 1 and the tick never changed. My wife has a Charger R/T, and it ticks just the same.

On your oil change, depends on what you're running. You can safely run 6,000 miles on synthetic oils. I used to change conventional oils I change at 3,000 miles, haven't run them in years though.

#5 ·
The Hemi tick is normal, I freaked out when I first heard it after getting my car but then searched the internet and realized it's common on Hemi's. I service my car every 6,000 miles/10,000 km as per dealer instructions.

#7 · (Edited)
I have the tick too (hate it) and Mobil 1 never even put a dent in it. The oil, I first changed at 500 miles because the dealer invited me back for that. I had my mechanic do it instead and put Mobil 1 in. Synthetic can go much longer, especially since I drive mostly on the freeway, but I change it every 5K to be extra safe. And I did my 2nd change at 5K, not 5,500 so that remembering when to change the oil is easier (I disregard the EVIC message).

Everybody does their own thing with oil so you're gonna be on your own. I'd do it now and stick to every 5K after that if it were me. Synthetic for longevity. Your call, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.