Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pistol grip shifter is returning... but what about the slapshift auto tranny? I haven't seen any mention of that at all (not that it's relevant to me because mine will definitely have a 6-speed). I'm guessing that the auto tranny will be the autostick (which I've always seen as a bit of a gimmick more than anything), but some people are undoubtedly gonna go for an automatic model - wouldn't the slapshift be a cool way to go?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I will get a pistol grip if it comes out, but I wonder also how many people would be interested in a paddle shift similar to the Vette.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I will probably get the 6 speed; however, I do like the autostick. (Easier on the legs over the long haul for me.) But either way, I am getting one. What really sucks is that I don't have much patience.......and waiting just for a release date is literally killing me!:cool:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll be the first to come forward and say that I'll be buying the Automatic. The W5A580 5sp Autostick they use in the current SRT8 is a great unit with little problems and great performance. I love my manuals a lot but for me it's just not worth it to have to give up that option to not have shift/clutch when I'm just casually cruising or in bad traffic. Plus I can still shift when I want, hold a gear when needed, etc...

I hope to see a 6sp but we'll prob get an updated version on the current 5sp one.

What I'd really like to see (but prob won't) is the 7sp from the SLK55

From MBUSA.com
Transmission Standard AMG-enhanced 7-speed automatic. Electronically controlled shifting. Driver-adaptive programming adjusts shift points to the driver's current driving style. Touch Shift allows driver to manually downshift and allow upshifts by nudging the shift lever left or right from the Drive position. Shift into Optimum Gear programming allows one-touch selection of the best gear for maximum acceleration or engine braking by holding the shift lever to the left of Drive for one second. Driver-selectable Comfort mode starts vehicle moving in 2nd gear or a second Reverse gear, and upshifts at lower rpm, to help improve control on slippery surfaces.

AMG SpeedShift™ Standard AMG SpeedShift programming provides up to 35% faster gear changes, automatically downshifts during braking, prevents unwanted upshifting while cornering, offers one-touch selection of the best gear for maximum acceleration (Shift into Optimum Gear), and features torque converter lockup in all forward gears. Fingertip manual mode allows direct-access shifting through forward gears via buttons on the back of the upper steering-wheel spokes (left button downshifts, right button upshifts), or via Touch Shift feature of shift lever, and will automatically intervene only to select 1st gear when the vehicle stops. In Standard and Comfort modes, the steering-wheel buttons operate the Touch Shift feature.

I'll prob get yelled at for sure but I believe the need for clutch pdeal is going away very fast. Anyone race any auto's lately? Good ones aren't your Dad's automatics any more.

Flame Suit On :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
All I can say is I have more fun driving a manual. I also realize how much more I pay attention to how the car reacts.

To be honest, if they don't drop a manual in this thing, I'll rethink my purchase.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Same here... lack of 6sp manual transmission is a total nonstarter for me. I'd rather save my money and gawk at them from the street than drive an automatic (or manumatic or even a 5sp manual). DODGE if you're reading this: no 6sp manual = no sale

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
E-Body said:
I'll prob get yelled at for sure but I believe the need for clutch pdeal is going away very fast. Anyone race any auto's lately? Good ones aren't your Dad's automatics any more.

Flame Suit On :D
True, but (speaking only for myself) in a performance car I still desire a manual over an automatic, and always will. Sure automatics have come a long way, but there's still something about rowing your own gears - maybe it's the illusion of control, I dunno, but manuals definitely add to the "fun" factor. Plus manuals are cheaper than automatics (in most cases, I actually had to pay extra for it in my GTO, go figure), and gas mileage is always better too - something that can't be discounted in these days of near-$3 and up for a gallon for gas.

·
Registered
492 Posts
What the heck, I'll give 'em all a 'test drive' and see which one actually performs the best to my type of driving style. On a positive note, though...my sixteen year-old hasn't learned how to drive 'stick' yet, so he at least won't be asking to borrow my six-speed 'Challenger'...hmmm :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Having just driven a Charger the other day, the Autostick worked nicely, but just not the same as manual for me. So, much like some of the others have said above, I'm gonna have to turn my back on the Challenger is there's no 6-spd manual available. God I hope that I don't have to do that...hurts me just thinking it...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love this car but have to agree with some of the others that if there is no manual than the Stang will stay. Never been a fan of auto's no matter how good the new ones are getting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts