Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2013 5.7 w/ 5 speed auto. When cruising at 30mph, several times I have hit the gas pedal about 1/4 and the engine hesitates, bogs down, or fails for about 1-2 seconds. It doesn't happen all the time, but you never know when. It seems to occur at a low rate of speed with a moderate press on the gas pedal. If I mash it no problem. anyone have a like experience and maybe know a solution?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Sounds like that is your MDS system switching from 4 cylinders over to 8.

Try using the paddleshifters in manual mode see if you notice the same thing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Just what I had in mind.
OP, If this is the case then it is completely normal.

·
Registered
117 Posts
that happened to me several times. I realized that it usually happened when I went to a discount gas station. I now only go to chevron or shell. Cheap gas seems to rob performance. Its worth a try. It worked for me.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Have you tried the #2 Fuse Pull? Do that every once in a while. Search the forum.....
"#2 Fuse Pull" will reset your adaptives.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 13 blacktop rt auto. This just happened to me today for the first time. I was in sport mode but regular D gear not auto stick. It freaked me out at first but I chalked it up to the vehicle switching from 8 to 4 cylinders. I was in moderate traffic around town, a lot of lights stop and go. Think I was going about 35 when it happened.

My car only has 4200 miles and it only knows how 91 octane gas tastes. It's had one full synthetic oil change. I guess the lag is just what these cars do in that situation.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The new 2013 R/T that I test drove back in August did this as well as my friend's 2013 R/T with 6,900 miles on it at the time. That was one thing about these cars that I did not like.

It must be the MDS causing it because the 2009 SRT8 that I test drove did not have any hesitation. These were all automatic equipped cars.

Wayne

·
Registered
166 Posts
The new 2013 R/T that I test drove back in August did this as well as my friend's 2013 R/T with 6,900 miles on it at the time. That was one thing about these cars that I did not like.

It must be the MDS causing it because the 2009 SRT8 that I test drove did not have any hesitation. These were all automatic equipped cars.

Wayne
I don't think it happens if the Electronic Stability Control is turned off (in performance mode). Most of us drive in the default mode which uses ECO for better gas mileage. Turn that traction control off and it's a different story.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't think it happens if the Electronic Stability Control is turned off (in performance mode). Most of us drive in the default mode which uses ECO for better gas mileage. Turn that traction control off and it's a different story.
That may be the case since I don't think ESC was off on either car I drove. The problem for me is that I'm very sensitive to how a vehicle runs and the operation of the MDS and the hesitation when stepping on the gas in some instances was very noticeable to me.

When I went to the dealer to test drive the new 2013 R/T, I had every intention of buying it. After the test drive and experiences both of these things, I had serious second thoughts about buying one and left that day to think things over. I then drove my friend's 2013 R/T to get another feel of things and it was pretty much the same. This issue and the fact that I couldn't get the color I wanted drove me to buy my Mustang GT instead.

Wayne

·
Banned
349 Posts
We have had our 2013 R/T for three months now, just over 5k miles and only run 87 octane. Have not experienced any of these type issues at all and let me tell you, I am all over this car as far as performance goes. I simply can not believe how well these cars perform and the torque they have. Keep in mind I am a former classic Pontiac guy, 400/4-speeds which are known for plenty of power and torque, I was hesitant going into the Dodge/Mopar switch but I am thrilled.

Edit: I did recently run one FULL tank of 93 octane just to see if there was any difference. I have a card for Shell that saves us $.40/gal so I figured why not try one tank of 93. We saw ZERO difference in mileage and absolutely ZERO performance difference, NONE! Therefore, I'll continue to use the $.40 savings on 87 octane as the car runs and performs AMAZINGLY with this grade of fuel!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm not disputing the fact that these cars have good power and torque because they felt plenty powerful to me. I have a 1970 Monte Carlo with a 396 BB in it so I also know what power and torque feel like. My new 2014 Mustang GT also has plenty of power and torque.

After I got done test driving the new 2013 R/T, we pulled it into the service department because there was some sticky stuff under the hood on the plastic cover that covers the radiator area that the salesman wanted to have looked at. I asked the service manager if there was a way to turn off the MDS system and explained to him how it felt to me when it was switching back and forth. He told me that he had a certain amount of people that were also bothered by how the system worked and they described the same symptoms as I did which to me it felt like a slight missing of the engine when the system was in operation and of course the slight lag in acceleration when you gave it gas.

Unfortunately for me, that kind of stuff would drive me crazy every time I drove the car and would probably make me not enjoy the car like I should.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have a 2013 R/T A5 also. Mine did it a lot when it was new, after more miles it lessened. It's not the MDS, this is the answer below, when ESC is enabled it keeps pulling timing. Whenever I get in my car, the first thing I do is hit the ESC button (except if it's raining, I always leave it on in the rain), and I hit the Sport Mode button. Car drives so much better. It won't hesitate anymore with the ESC turned off.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm not disputing the fact that these cars have good power and torque because they felt plenty powerful to me. I have a 1970 Monte Carlo with a 396 BB in it so I also know what power and torque feel like. My new 2014 Mustang GT also has plenty of power and torque.

After I got done test driving the new 2013 R/T, we pulled it into the service department because there was some sticky stuff under the hood on the plastic cover that covers the radiator area that the salesman wanted to have looked at. I asked the service manager if there was a way to turn off the MDS system and explained to him how it felt to me when it was switching back and forth. He told me that he had a certain amount of people that were also bothered by how the system worked and they described the same symptoms as I did which to me it felt like a slight missing of the engine when the system was in operation and of course the slight lag in acceleration when you gave it gas.

Unfortunately for me, that kind of stuff would drive me crazy every time I drove the car and would probably make me not enjoy the car like I should.

Wayne
I had the same issue and now also do with the my manual rt as well. Only fix I found aroundnit was resetting the PSM I think its called fuse #2 and resetting the throttle every morning. Once the car learns the throttle it becomes very sluggish and horribly unresponsive.

·
Registered
204 Posts
We have had our 2013 R/T for three months now, just over 5k miles and only run 87 octane. Have not experienced any of these type issues at all and let me tell you, I am all over this car as far as performance goes. I simply can not believe how well these cars perform and the torque they have. Keep in mind I am a former classic Pontiac guy, 400/4-speeds which are known for plenty of power and torque, I was hesitant going into the Dodge/Mopar switch but I am thrilled.

Edit: I did recently run one FULL tank of 93 octane just to see if there was any difference. I have a card for Shell that saves us $.40/gal so I figured why not try one tank of 93. We saw ZERO difference in mileage and absolutely ZERO performance difference, NONE! Therefore, I'll continue to use the $.40 savings on 87 octane as the car runs and performs AMAZINGLY with this grade of fuel!
I've used 87 and 93 I noticed more of a difference with the 93 now I also put Lucas system cleaner with every fill up and the car drives butter smooth and has better response from it.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Wayne
I can understand your point. The first time I experienced the hesitation I went WTH. Once I figured it out I was fine with it and know how to get around it. Now it doesn't happen to me. Our rides are personalized for each of our needs and wants. For me the Mustang's ride is too stiff (I had a 2002 GT convertible) and the seats weren't as comfortable as the SRT seats, since I like long trips when time off permits. I had the 2011 RT and I missed the larger seats (larger seats were in a 2008 Charger Daytona) but I still preferred it over the Mustang. I hope you enjoy your Pony as much as many of us are enjoying out Challengers. See you at the next Red Light (LOL).

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's MDS. Just give a little gas before punching it to get into v8 mode first. Takes a little getting used to it.....

·
Banned
349 Posts
Actually, the more I think about this I have experienced this problem. Just today in fact. I was sitting at a light and this Mustang pulled up next to me and the light changed. For some stupid reason I hesitated for just a split second before I dropped the hammer and lit the rear tires up and scared the shi* out the little punk in his girly looking paint job and his fart can tail pipes! Scared him to the point that his faced turned red and his pimples all popped because at the next light he felt it necessary to flip me off as he turned and drove off!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I believe its part of the esp system. Just like if you had your foot on the break at a light any certain speed for a few.....it will take like 3 seconds before the throttle will let you give it what its got without feeling bogged down....part of that not lettin you spin out crap. Pull #2 fuse out for 30 seconds and put it back... the n completely disable the esp...not just press the button. Dont know for your year but my 2011 rt I have to turn the key to on position then hold the traction control button down for 10 or 20 seconds. That completely shuts off the traction control in mine...then I dont have that little lagg in the throttle! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts