Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice from those who have had a super charger for a bit. This is my first SC car and after driving it for a week, I have some concerns. The car seems to hesitate like if I'm in second gear (6sp) and I hammer it it seems to accelerate on engine only for a second them bam the super charger kicks in then stutters a bit. I had the TC fully on so I think it was cutting out because of wheel slip. I then turned it fully off and the cutting out stopped but there still seems to be a second of hesitation before the SC kicks in. Is this normal? I thought the Eforce types had immediate response off the line? The installer said I had the latest tune and does not seem to think there is a problem. It also does it when I'm at about 70-80 and I drop it into 4th it seems to be all motor for a second or two then you can feel the SC kick in. And feedback would be appreciated.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Do you have a wideband A/F gauge? What's it reading under WOT acceleration?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Sounds like bypass isn't closing, you need to have enough load on engine for bypass to close.
If your in a vacuum then punch it the bypass won't close until it sees 3 inch or so
MAP.

If you dump the clutch, say at 4k does boost kick in instantly ?

It also could be belt slip, I've heard a lot of this happening with the E-force, it has a sh;Ty belt tension system.
Guys have to run a ten rib on 12lbs.

You should always drive with TC partially off also, car will want to cut fuel when tire spin and that's not good under boost.
The car shouldn't stutter once in boost might be tune issue or belt slip.

This is just a guess but that's sounds like what's happening .

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't launched at that high of rpm yet. I know if I'm in second and punch it at about 4-5k rpm then boost seems pretty instant if the TC is off. It's more just around 2-3000 rpm's it seems to hesitate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
131 Posts
I haven't launched at that high of rpm yet. I know if I'm in second and punch it at about 4-5k rpm then boost seems pretty instant if the TC is off. It's more just around 2-3000 rpm's it seems to hesitate.

. I have a Magnuson super charger on mine...when I'm around 2-3k rpms I have some slight hesitation as well...(since my foot is probably a quarter pressed against the pedal) I think its just trying to sense if I'm going to step into it further or not...then again I don't know...its my first supercharged vehicle as well...and this thing scares me when I accidentally get on it lol

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
. I have a Magnuson super charger on mine...when I'm around 2-3k rpms I have some slight hesitation as well...(since my foot is probably a quarter pressed against the pedal) I think its just trying to sense if I'm going to step into it further or not...then again I don't know...its my first supercharged vehicle as well...and this thing scares me when I accidentally get on it lol

Thanks that's kinda the way it feels. I'm probably just being paranoid but when you spend 8k on something I want it to work right. Once your into the boost it's a ton of fun. I tried to do a 0-60 run this morning but I don't think I launched hard enough. It's was a less than stellar 4.86 seconds. It seemed like I was almost to 60 before the boost kicked in. I only launched at about 1500 rpm's and it bogged.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
If you are using the tune that Edelbrock gives you, as with the Magnason, they are very conservative as to not cause detonation. They probably leave 40-60hp on the table. This needs to be taken into consideration. I agree with Chukarboy that if the SC doesn't sense load, it's not going into boost, at least not as quick as you assume it should. I think a dyno tune by a respectable tuner is in order.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Totally agree...I sometimes mash it...and it feels like a simple RT...then I sometimes mash it and it feels like the front end is coming off the ground and I feel and hear the back tires grab lol...so its rather inconsistent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts