Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,962 Posts
Really a wide Vauge question because it depends on what your wanting performance wise. If your just tweaking some adjustments the HP is not really going to just jump at you.
For substantial HP then its substantial money and then tweaking the tune etc., Your car's PCM is needing to be unlocked so just a tuner won't change anything off the bat.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
First things first, lose the yellow protectors, free and increases hp by about 2%. Second, very nice car, congrats. As stated by Rock DJ, tuning is very expensive since you have to also buy an unlocked PCM so not really worth the cost unless your making other expensive mods that would require a tune i.e.- cam and headers or some sort of forced induction. I think I'd just enjoy the car as is if it were mine.

·
Banned
173 Posts
Beautiful! I assume it has a LSD? If not, get one. Put a high-flow filter in the air box. Get a set of 2.50" pipes of your choice. Done. If you want more azz, install a cam, procharger and a tune.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
What do you want to end up with after installing the first mod(s)?

- if it’s a significantly faster car, you will have to go forced induction of some type.

- if it is a more enjoyable driving experience, upgrade the suspension (lower it and install some quality dampers) and rear-end (go LSD w/ a lower ratio, if applicable).

Regardless of what mods you choose, if the change in performance is big enough for you to few it in the seat of your pants, you will have to spend some serious coin to get there.

Other mods can be acquired and installed for relatively little cost and effort, e.g. a catch can, a CAI, etc., but don’t expect any of those to yield noticeable results in performance numbers.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Banned
173 Posts
:unsure: Then again, the '68 Shelby GT500 came with an open differential. 1/4 mile beast!

Open vs LSD:
McLaren (inventor of torque vectoring/traction control) uses the a open differential on all of their vehicles. Why? 1. Traction control. 2. Limited slip is less efficient, runs hotter and adds weight to the vehicle. Traction control places a lot of wear on the brakes and rotors (if you're doing a lot of slolum), and also robs power via braking. If you're driving in dirt, sand, snow... LSD may be the preferred option. I've never driven through snow in a open diff/traction control equipped vehicle, so I can't comment on how well it works.

For me, the added weight at the rear is a welcome by-product of the LSD. Since traction control can be disengaged, LSD is, again, the preferred option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts