Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know why GM has the ZL1,
"GM is estimating that its supercharged and intercooled 6.2-liter LSA V8 engine will put out around 550 horsepower and 550 pound-feet of torque. Those ponies will be sent to the rear wheels via a six-speed manual transmission using a dual-disc clutch that's necessary to properly harness all those horses. There's also a dual-mode exhaust system that alters the sound level and character in response to engine rpm."

Ford has the upcoming Boss 302:
  • 2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302 engine delivers 444 horsepower and 380 lb.-ft. of torque without the aid of forced induction
  • Purpose-built Boss engine is based on production 2011 Mustang GT 5.0-liter DOHC V8, heavily modified with unique, Boss-specific parts to withstand all-day thrashing
  • Revised intake, CNC-machined heads, lightened valvetrain and strengthened reciprocating assembly result in a race-proven engine meeting production durability standards
Why do we have to always be chasing them?

We have the 6.1 and now the 6.4 both naturally aspirated......
The SRT engineering team can't put together a supercharged / intercooled 6.1 or 6.4 that would blow the rest of the away out of the box?

I love my srt....really.....would not have a Camaro or a Mustang....We are all aware of the fact that Ma Mopar is capable of great things....

Are they holding back??
Are they just allowing Mopar fans to just mod away, because that's what we do???

I just don't get it.....end rant! :guiness:

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
x 2 ...............

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Patience Daniel-son. I believe we are going to see a 500+HP 426 Hemi in a few years time. Typically, when Chrysler decides to finally do something, they do it better than Ford and Chevy.

·
Registered
319 Posts
GM has already done a majority of the R&D on the Vette, so costs are mitigated.

Ford has a *HUGE* market for Mustangs, so they are sure to recoup their costs.

Chrysler needs to spend its money wisely so as to stay profitable. Spending money designing a niche car isn't a fiscally sound idea.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I love my srt....really.....would not have a Camaro or a Mustang....We are all aware of the fact that Ma Mopar is capable of great things....

Are they holding back??

I just don't get it.....end rant! :guiness:
Are they holding back? Yes
Why are they?
You answered your own question I'm afraid...

" I love my srt....really.....would not have a Camaro or a Mustang"

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Patience Daniel-son. I believe we are going to see a 500+HP 426 Hemi in a few years time.
Yea...maybe, but they might have a 454ci 590+HP all-aluminum mill by then.
That's the problem...

Actually...they seem to be able to reduce the size of their engines while at the same time increase torque and fuel economy...go figure.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I feel you sentiment... but the ZL1 at least, will likely cost more than an SRT8, just like a GT500 does. So, that couple extra grand is spent somewhere on those cars, and it isn't spent on interior room.

A SRT8 with a similar powered engine would end up costing a few grand more than either of the above.

Now, SHOULD Mopar go all out? Yep. ZERO doubt in my mind. Us "idiots" will buy the 426 Hemi with 550+ horsepower at the drop of a hat... but how many of us "idiots" are there? Enough for Dodge to turn a profit from the development of a new engine? I don't know, honestly. But there are a ton of factors, financial factors, Dodge has to consider I'd imagine... plus add in government restrictions, new "green" laws, etc... good grief, our country is turning into a band of brainwashed eco-green fools...

Given that, there's a thread on a crate 426 Mopar has out... could it be a situation similar to the 392 crate (now in revised form in the SRT8's)??? Only time will tell.

However, how purely awesome would it be for Dodge to produce a new 426 Hemi? Even if it was slightly less powerful than the competition, the badging on the car alone would reduce 1/4 times by 3/10! LOL

What I hope to see: a production 426 Hemi in the SRT8 lineup... the resurrection of Plymouth and a 'Cuda and Roadrunner... turn Plymouth into THE Chrysler performance line. Dodge could still utilize the performance engines, etc. for their line, while Plymouth would ONLY produce performance cars.

I just hate the nit-picking, partial upgrades, etc. Go all out or go home, IMO. Then when the competition starts catching up, then Dodge should up the ante... it shouldn't be the other way around. I'd spend more $$$ for a Mopar vehicle that is the baddest out there in its segment.

Given that tirade...

I believe the 392's will adequately hold their own against the perceived competition (GT500, Boss, ZL1) stock-stock, plus give the 392 owner a bit more comfort. Given THAT... there's still room for improvement.

The ZL1 is using a sophisticated suspension and even the 5.0 Mustang is tracking alongside the M3's... food for thought.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not about a G/N by Buick.....and keeping in mind the current status of both the economy as well as Chrysler LLC point taken. OMOM, point well taken. Plymouth back.....that's a dream.

Mopar should be...deserves to be.....and in my mind is the best out there. I choose to believe that Ma Mopar is waiting for the others to put out their best so she can casually beat the rest!! :werd:

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I think they are just weening into it. Look at the Drag Pack. They only made a limited amount to kind of get a feeling of what it would be like with a bigger motor. They will keep the 392 for a few years and maybe upgrade to a 426 or 440. Okay nevermind, that's kind of doubtful. I think what they should do is have an option for an engine. You could choose the 392 or a supercharged 392. Or the 392 or the Viper engine.

Believe me they could easily smoke the competition if they wanted. But they are just kind of holding back, and the current economy doesn't help, and will make their move when the time is right.

If it bothers you that much, buy a supercharger, get a nice tune, and then there would be no more complaining. Personally, there will always be a faster car on the road, so I don't really care. I bought my car because it's the most beautiful car, best to drive, love the color, and sounds amazing. Who cares if a ZL2 or Boss owner comes up and says, "My car is faster hahahahahaha blah blah blah!" You can just tell him you paid WAY less for yours and looks WAY better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts