Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Vendor
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We finished up this 392 Ported Heads and Camshaft package vehicle back in December on a 2012 Chrysler 300C SRT-8. The heads are stock 6.4L heads that have been CNC ported and upgraded with PSI Springs, Manley retainers and locators. The Cam is the Comp Cams 274 limiter camshaft and we also used the Comp phase limiter as well.

For the baseline, the test car had Kooks long tube headers and high flow cats, Magnaflow catback, MOPAR CAI, a 180 thermostat along with an HHP dyno tune to dial in all of these mods.

The baseline with full bolt-ons made 431rwhp/433rwtq.

The final results with the addition of ported 6.4L heads and Comp 274 camshaft we made 516rwhp/475rwtq.

Here's the before and after dyno sheet, tuned with 93 octane:

Tuning was completed with Diablosport CMR software on a Trinity handheld programmer. To sum up the parts list, this car had the following modifications:
Currently the car has been back in the customers hands for 30 days with zero issues. We would have liked to see this package complimented with a 3200 stall torque converter and a good set of drag radials for anyone planning on hitting the track.

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
can you pm me a quote for this? can you add upgrades on the lifters and rocker arms?
can the setup run 7000 rpm? allows for a bit more flexibility on road course

·
Vendor
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can you pm me a quote for this?
For some reason the forum is running slow and I can't get pm's to load.

For quotes, please email us at [email protected]

Tell us what model 392 you have (auto or manual trans) and also the existing mods you have already done. Also tell us specifically what you need a quote on and whether it's for in-house or out-of-house install.

Include:
Name
Address
Phone number
Email

We'll send you a fully detailed price quote. With the introduction of the 2014 tuning yesterday from Diablosport we should be able to run this package all the way up to 2014 model years.

Thanks!
Joshua, HHP

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
For some reason the forum is running slow and I can't get pm's to load.

For quotes, please email us at [email protected]

Tell us what model 392 you have (auto or manual trans) and also the existing mods you have already done. Also tell us specifically what you need a quote on and whether it's for in-house or out-of-house install.

Include:
Name
Address
Phone number
Email

We'll send you a fully detailed price quote. With the introduction of the 2014 tuning yesterday from Diablosport we should be able to run this package all the way up to 2014 model years.

Thanks!
Joshua, HHP
kool, i will send you the specs shortly

·
Vendor
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you add upgrades on the lifters and rocker arms?
can the setup run 7000 rpm? allows for a bit more flexibility on road course
If you have an automatic you will need to replace the MDS lifters with non-mds MOPAR lifters.

As far as a proven aftermarket rocker setup, there really isn't any long term tested viable and available options, especially for street cars. We have several Gen 3 HEMI's running Harland Sharp but they are mainly drag race engines and not street cars. The stock rockers are your best choice as they hold up extremely well and are light weight. As far as rpm, these engine are made from the factory to run high rpm's. 6500 is typically the "safe" rpm we recommend but since the valve train is the same that the 6.1L's have run for years, and a lot of high HP 6.1L's have been running at 7000 with little issues. 7000 wouldn't be our recommendation but probably sould be fine as long as you are willing to assume the higher risks of running the engine up there when it comes to the integrity of the bottom end and timing gear. There are a lot of unknowns when it comes to 6.4L's and not tons of modified engines out there pushing the limits... yet. We're ready to change that!

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Comp 274 is the most aggressive Comp camshaft, correct ?

How would it sound at idle with a stock catback ?.. Is the chop very noticeable ?..

Would adding the Variable Cam Phase Limiter to a stock 392 cam yeild any gains ?..

·
Vendor
38 Posts
The 274 is an aggressive camshaft. Idle / chop would be very noticable with a stock system. Would adding the Variable Cam Phase Limiter to a stock 392 cam yeild any gains ?........has not been tested

·
Registered
70 Posts
Was that with the Stage 1 or 2 for the ported heads?

Also, has the customer provided any feedback on mpg after upgrades?

Thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
My 2009 SRT8 after there Stage 2 pkg got 21 mpg on the ride home from Delaware.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
Question for High Horseman...

Background: I use my car as a daily driver. "Streetability" and reliability is important to me. Your Power/Q gain numbers are impressive for naturally aspirated cars. I am interested. I do have concerns about CAM upgrades.

1. How would this upgrade compare to Supercharger upgrades (magnacharger) with respect to a being good "daily driver?"
Specifically:
A. Will the car "shake" at idle? (more than stock or blown cars).
B. Will it be near the verge of stalling, when idling at a stoplight?
C. Will fuel consumption be far greater than forced induction cars?
D. Will tuning be much more complex...and will maintaining a proper tune over time be more difficult than supercharged motors?
E. Will low end torque suffer more than supercharged applications?
F. What is the total cost?

·
Vendor
38 Posts
The 274 cam or a blower will be fine for a DD. The blower ofcourse will make twice the power. Yes, the car will shake at idle with the 274 cam.....blower no cam equals no shake. It will not stall will idle fine at a stop with proper tuning we can provide. Cannot give a very accurate fuel milage comparrison, but it will be good with both, but it all boils down to your driving style. Tuning is a little easier on a blower for these cars. Low end torque will be good both ways, but once again we are comparing apples to oranges. Call me tomorrow if you have time and we can discuss price options for both packages.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts