Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We get asked a lot of questions about what all goes into a VVT HEMI camshaft package. Since we did the majority of the R&D testing for Comp Cams on the HEMI cars, and we do a lot of installation of these packages in our shop we decided to put the parts package together as a full kit with all of the required parts you need to complete the install. This package is for stock engines only. If you have a power adder such as a supercharger, nitrous or a stroker engine, please contact us for a more customized package.

If you have a 6-Speed Car you will need:

• Camshaft (included)
  • Phase Limiter (included)
  • Our Spring/Retainer/Locator Kit (Add Unless You Are Ordering Our Stage 3 Ported Heads With Them Already Included)
  • Our Email Tuning Package (we assume that you already have a Diablosport handheld - preferably the Trinity T-1000)
*Manual Transmission cars do not need Non-MDS Lifters or the head bolts and gaskets needed for the installation of the lifters.

If you have an Automatic Transmission Car you will need:

• Camshaft (included)
  • Head Bolts & Gaskets (Add On)
  • Non-MDS Lifters (Add On)
  • Our Spring/Retainer/Locator Kit (Add Unless You Are Ordering Our Stage 3 Ported Heads With Them Already Included)
  • Our Email Tuning Package (Add On) we assume that you already have a Diablosport handheld - preferably the Trinity T-1000

Automatic cars must remove the weaker MDS lifters from the engine in order to run one of these more aggressive camshafts and the only way to change the lifters is to remove the heads off of the engine.

HHP Package: Comp Limiter Cam for 5.7/6.4

For the quickest response, please call the shop 888-894-1115
For sales questions use extension 306 for Don.
For tech questions use 302 for Bruce.
For tuning questions use 301 for Josh.
http://www.hhpracing.com/

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
This is very cool to see a cam package out for the 57 and 64.
Im getting a comp cam installed in my 64 as we speak!

·
Registered
122 Posts
BBoyPersia - Ok, this is probably a newbie question but here it goes:

I have a 2013 R/T 6-spd car with a CAI, Stock manifolds (Shorties with no cats is on the list - Oklahoma does not have emissions laws right now), custom exhaust (3") and the Mopar Hood kit to make my T/A Scoop functional.

I am looking into adding a cam right now and was really looking into the 6.4 cam, however, if I can get more from a Comp Cam, I would rather go that route. I have hopes of adding a magnacharger later but it's a tall order and will probably be many years down the road. I am looking for the most bang for the buck but please keep in mind that my R/T is my daily driver.

I know headers will make a big difference but I do not wish to go to LT until I go with a blower (if I get there) so shorties are a definite. I also do not have a tuner at this time but is my next purchase (hopefully next week).

If you would please recommend a camshaft from the 3 options that would be the best performer. Even though I DD my car, I am performance minded and am willing to give a little to get a little so to speak.

I will be purchasing everything as a kit and already have an installer here locally that has built several super high performance NA and blown motors for me in the past so I need to make sure I have everything he needs with no exception prior to the beginning of work.

thanks for your help - James

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We've done 274s on daily drivers and makes the most power out of the 3 for the same money.

This is a dyno sheet from a 6speed with mild bolts-ons vs the 274 with the same bolt-ons. Im not sure on the year or what the boltons were but if needed I could find out.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Bboy is that a 392 with the 274 cam pushing 454hp? Or a rt

·
Registered
530 Posts
Bboy is that a 392 with the 274 cam pushing 454hp? Or a rt
That's an RT. For comparison purposes....I was at 342 with shorty headers, CAI and after the cam I was at 387rwhp with custom tuning. 45rwhp gain.

I believe the dyno posted above was with longtube headers.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
That's an RT. For comparison purposes....I was at 342 with shorty headers, CAI and after the cam I was at 387rwhp with custom tuning. 45rwhp gain.

I believe the dyno posted above was with longtube headers.
So, you're saying that with long tube headers, you'd have gained another 43 hp (Based on the 88 hp gained above in the dyno chart). Awesome!

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
We get asked a lot of questions about what all goes into a VVT HEMI camshaft package. Since we did the majority of the R&D testing for Comp Cams on the HEMI cars, and we do a lot of installation of these packages in our shop we decided to put the parts package together as a full kit with all of the required parts you need to complete the install. This package is for stock engines only. If you have a power adder such as a supercharger, nitrous or a stroker engine, please contact us for a more customized package.

If you have a 6-Speed Car you will need:

• Camshaft (included)
  • Our Email Tuning Package (we assume that you already have a Diablosport handheld - preferably the Trinity T-1000)
*Manual Transmission cars do not need Non-MDS Lifters or the head bolts and gaskets needed for the installation of the lifters.

If you have an Automatic Transmission Car you will need:

• Camshaft (included)
  • Head Bolts & Gaskets (Add On)
  • Non-MDS Lifters (Add On)
  • Our Email Tuning Package (Add On) we assume that you already have a Diablosport handheld - preferably the Trinity T-1000

Automatic cars must remove the weaker MDS lifters from the engine in order to run one of these more aggressive camshafts and the only way to change the lifters is to remove the heads off of the engine.

For the quickest response, please call the shop 888-894-1115
For sales questions use extension 306 for Don.
For tech questions use 302 for Bruce.
For tuning questions use 301 for Josh.
http://www.hhpracing.com/
subscribed!!
once i am done upgrading my suspensions, it will be time to open up the engine

for the guys like me in the nyc, your shop seems the best on the north east..will see; i think you are the guys who prep'd that Orange 2010 SRT8 from my friend, the one he lost in Sandy last year...anyway...

my goal is 500 RWHP, with cam upgrades, and racing heads, a cool dual TB intake manifold, with ported TBs w/o supercharging anything while remaining kind of streetable, meaning i can deal with an 1000rpm thumping idle if needed and the wife would like it too

can you guys do this? or 500 RWHP without supercharging is not feasible; looking also to increase red line to 7000/7500 rpm

let me know

Cheers

ODP

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
never know, these new vvt motors seem to be beasts and when they wake up it shows. if im not mistaken one of josh's first vvt installs hit 505 cam only on a 5.7.
ill have to dig around his facebook page but i beleive thats where the dyno run is posted

·
Registered
413 Posts
Subscribed for future reference

·
Registered
332 Posts
Subscribed - As I am thinking about do a cam package within the next few months.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
Question here too: What grind for street driven only, long road trips, but I just want as much HP and torque as possible to the stock redline...........no head work?

Possible upgrade with SRT factory headers and mids.

Thanks

2010 R/TC A5

1,931 Posts
Is this the Comp 274? Do you lock the cam in one position or is it still turning a limited number of degrees?
Check the link at the bottom of the post. You can choose the cam. The kit includes the limiter:
Read my question and try answering again...if you can you give me a yes/no cam is locked/limited answer you have done what no one else has been able to do and I will think of you as a god...:roller:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts