Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to All. I my ride 2015 392 SRT all stock. last week my driver HID high/low beam went out. Halo rings are working and the amber DRL. Went to the dealer. Service tech put a new HID bulb in (all in front of me) and no luck. Fuse was ok. Then he tested the power coming to the light which was ok also. So apparently when the HID bulb went out it did something to the head light assembly. They have to replace the whole driver side unit at the cost of $1300!!!! Just wondering if any of you guys had this problem. Any other ideas. BTW car has 28K miles and is out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,058 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk Mooseman ;) Since this is the introductory thread, suggest you post the same query in the electronics forum where you will get more viewers, and hopefully more replies

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f202/

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,082 Posts
Hello to All. I my ride 2015 392 SRT all stock. last week my driver HID high/low beam went out. Halo rings are working and the amber DRL. Went to the dealer. Service tech put a new HID bulb in (all in front of me) and no luck. Fuse was ok. Then he tested the power coming to the light which was ok also. So apparently when the HID bulb went out it did something to the head light assembly. They have to replace the whole driver side unit at the cost of $1300!!!! Just wondering if any of you guys had this problem. Any other ideas. BTW car has 28K miles and is out of warranty.
The other item would be the ballast - the headlight unit itself simply has the led halo and led turn indicator along with the electric shutter for low / high beam function.

The HID lamp is on its own with the ballast & bulb - in other words, the bulb can light and operate outside of the lamp housing. If the shutter assembly is non-op, then the lamp housing would be replaced...but it would not prevent the HID bulb from illuminating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you. So the ballast is separate from the bulb? the tech started the power is coming to the bulb but no light. I will talk to them again on Monday.

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
thank you. So the ballast is separate from the bulb? the tech started the power is coming to the bulb but no light. I will talk to them again on Monday.

FYI, Rock Auto has aftermarket ballast for $148, Mopar for $420. Steve White Motors has ballast for $434, and headlight assy for $822.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,890 Posts
Welcome from PA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts