Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my car, the previous owner included a brand new foglight HID conversion kit.

I haven't installed it yet, and am in the fence. There are two areas I'm torn on.

1. Sometimes I think the mod looks way to ricer-ish. Sometimes it looks really great.

2. I'd imagine the light out and visibility are increased. However, I wonder if they no longer would be good FOG lights.

I have a black SRT with HID headlights.

Thoughts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I don't know, I've never seen one in person with the HID Fogs.. but I will say I can't tell
when my fogs are on, (haven't driven in the fog either) and I saw the car from the outside
the other night and the fogs looked out of place with the HID headlights.. I was thinking LED
bulbs just to get them whiter or just putting yellow bulbs in like the early 70's Challengers
had and make them real fog lights.

the HID's might look really good, don't know how the conversions work.. good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thinking is that I find myself in dark country road much more often then in the fog, so I suppose I'm not as concerned about the fog light ability.

The install looks pretty straight forward. I may give it a shot just to see how it looks.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
are they just replacement bulbs or entire units housings and all? I can't imagine
getting my Challenger out when fog is bad enough to need fog lights so I agree
nice bright driving lights would be more useful, as long as they aren't blinding
oncoming traffic.. sounds like a good idea, I'd sure be interested how they work
because I was really thinking of ordering the LED bulbs for mine.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I bought a set and ripped them out after a month. While they did provide MORE light, they hardly provided more USABLE light. They did a better job at lighting up the tree tops than any part of the roadway. I was getting flashed from on coming drivers and they were really drowned out by the factory projector HIDs anyways.

If you have them, throw them in and see for yourself. You wont be impressed.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
are they just replacement bulbs or entire units housings and all? I can't imagine
getting my Challenger out when fog is bad enough to need fog lights so I agree
nice bright driving lights would be more useful, as long as they aren't blinding
oncoming traffic.. sounds like a good idea, I'd sure be interested how they work
because I was really thinking of ordering the LED bulbs for mine.
True HID lights are not just a bulb switch out. Those are cheap knockoffs. Silverstars etc. Not to say that some of the less expensive HiD kits dont look a little cheezy, but thats besides the point. True HIDs require a massive step up in voltage, so high that headlight housing, plugs, and other components after the stepup can be dangerous if handled while energized.

That said, if the color temp matched my headlights, i might strongly consider the conversion. But only if i already had the parts, like yourself. No way i would spend that kinda money just for the look.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
At 100 bucks a bulb for the HID headlights, the mod would have to be pretty pricey.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This kit that came with the car was "free to me"

This kit includes bulbs, ballast, wiring, etc. It's not just a bulb swap. I looked up the price and the kit was probably 150-200 it looks like.

I think I'll put them in and see what they look like ...

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
251 Posts
You might try these. Simple bulb replacements. Way easier than a conversion kit and cheaper for sure. I have HID headlights and my stage 3 fog lights are just as bright if not brighter. I purchased them from Diode Dynamics.

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383777050.078588.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383777068.028925.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1383777084.712279.jpg

The company has been great. I'm happy with the product and their service.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Since your sig says 2008, you have the 9145 45W fog lights. You don't need the HIDs. If you had the junky new 25 watt fogs, then I would say yes to an upgrade.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since your sig says 2008, you have the 9145 45W fog lights. You don't need the HIDs. If you had the junky new 25 watt fogs, then I would say yes to an upgrade.
That's funny you say that. Once I drove about 2 miles in the dark with only my parking lights and fogs on because they work that well ...

Didn't realize it until I got further into the country.

·
Registered
33 Posts
@Redline 11 - What bulbs those are in your fogs? I have a 2011 R/T with HID Headlights. I was just looking for replacement bulbs, just something a little whiter to more closely match the headlights. Sylvania book at auto parts store said the stock bulbs were '2504'. Autozone did not have any 2504's or 'whiter' version of same.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just my opinion;

Fog lights are just for fog and nothing else. I am real tired of Truckzilla drivers that not only didn't adjust their headlights after the lift, they also insist on driving around with the damn fog lights on as well blinding my rear view mirrors into uselessness.

If you have a properly adjusted set of quality headlights, you don't need to have the fog lights on doing something that they were not designed for!

They are not "driving" lights and there is no reason you need them on with your high beam headlights.

:mah:

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
251 Posts
@Redline 11 - What bulbs those are in your fogs? I have a 2011 R/T with HID Headlights. I was just looking for replacement bulbs, just something a little whiter to more closely match the headlights. Sylvania book at auto parts store said the stock bulbs were '2504'. Autozone did not have any 2504's or 'whiter' version of same.
Those are LED bulb replacements for the fogs. They come from Diode Dynamics. They are stage three. Make sure you order fog light bulbs for the 13 and up models. Our '11's have a misprint in the owners manual and in most parts guides for the bulb type. It is the same for 2011-2014.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
Captain,

You wrote "HID fog lights - yay or nay?"

I say "nay."

I don't like HID lights of any kind, especially when a car behind me has them on (shining in my mirror) or coming towards me on a dark road. And it is much nicer when replacing a (regular) bulb to be able to buy it for less than $10.

Lights that are too bright actually decrease visibility in the fringe areas where cars or deer are likely to come into your lane of travel. This is because your pupils contract more with the increased light directly ahead and don't allow good visibility in the areas that aren't directly ahead.

By the way, I never use my "fog" lights unless it is really foggy or very misty with light rain. In those cases the lights close to the road help illuminate the area directly in front of the car.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Your opinion is valid, though your reasoning is not.
Properly adjusted HIDs cause no more light than typical halogen bulbs to be directed in another drivers face. In fact, the design of HIDs is superior in this regard, because the light emitted by a halogen bulb is nearly impossible to channel through the lens and create a "dark" area above the intended location of emission. This is due to a lack of lens focus by using a faceted lens, whereas an HID uses a completely elliptical lens. An HID can easily be focused to have a "cutoff" point, where a line is established to prevent shining light in other drivers eyes.
And the "pupils contracting" is no more a problem in HIDs than it is with halogens. In fact, halogen housings cause slight amounts of light to be directed upwards, causing the light to be reflected back into the cab of the car, with the tiniest amount of dust or fog. HIDs focus the light in a much more planar fashion, and subsequently create less "blow back" into the cab.

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
Your opinion is valid, though your reasoning is not.
Properly adjusted HIDs cause no more light than typical halogen bulbs to be directed in another drivers face. In fact, the design of HIDs is superior in this regard, because the light emitted by a halogen bulb is nearly impossible to channel through the lens and create a "dark" area above the intended location of emission. This is due to a lack of lens focus by using a faceted lens, whereas an HID uses a completely elliptical lens. An HID can easily be focused to have a "cutoff" point, where a line is established to prevent shining light in other drivers eyes.
And the "pupils contracting" is no more a problem in HIDs than it is with halogens. In fact, halogen housings cause slight amounts of light to be directed upwards, causing the light to be reflected back into the cab of the car, with the tiniest amount of dust or fog. HIDs focus the light in a much more planar fashion, and subsequently create less "blow back" into the cab.
Agreed. The problem occurs when people instal HID lamps in Halogen housings which is the typical "upgrade". HIDs need to be a complete system, not just a HID lamp installed in a Halogen housing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The housing isn't designed for HID's. Neither is your wiring unless you put in a relay kit that takes power directly from the battery. They are obnoxious because they put light everywhere. I do have them in the fogs of my Cherokee, but they are high quality glass units, with a good pattern. The 11+ Challenger units are just for looks, to have light lower in the front end, not real fog lights.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts