Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new HID kit today. Lights look great. Problem is with the hi beams. I bought the bi-kit so the one bulb is both hi and low beam. The low beams work perfect, when you switch to hi-beam they work fine too.

HOWEVER, when you switch from hi back to low beam the low beams do not turn on, or only the left side turns on, or they flicker and go off.

The only way to get the low beams functioning normally again is to kill the engine, remove the key, put the key in and start the car again then switch from 'off' to 'on' on the light switch.

I'm going to assume that this has something to do with the car's computer and sensing volatage. However, I do have the anti-blink harness.

Has anyone had this problem? It really sucks cuz I can't use my hi-beam.

A few tidbits I'd like to add about the HIDs...

1. They look great asthetically.
2. The blue color sucks to drive behind. I got 6k (supposedly least blue) and it's still way too blue. I may go to 4k for pure white. Then of course I'd lose the asthetics.
3. The beam pattern sucks. It's just all over the road. Not like the stocks were that great either. I don't know why this would be since the lense is flat and the beam is created by reflecting light from behind the housing.
4. Street signs, reflectors, et al from 10 friggin miles away light up brilliantly.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
1. They look great asthetically.
2. The blue color sucks to drive behind. I got 6k (supposedly least blue) and it's still way too blue. I may go to 4k for pure white. Then of course I'd lose the asthetics.
3. The beam pattern sucks. It's just all over the road. Not like the stocks were that great either. I don't know why this would be since the lense is flat and the beam is created by reflecting light from behind the housing.
4. Street signs, reflectors, et al from 10 friggin miles away light up brilliantly.
If you really want to know the truth, I would encourage you to read the following articles.....

This one explains why HID kits in non-HID applications are a bad idea especially in a reflector headlamp like yours. (HINT: your headlamp is designed to work with a specific halogen bulb/light source. Alter the physical characteristics of that source and of course the beam pattern will be affected).:
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

This one gives you a bit of a lesson regarding light wavelengths/colors and why some (like blue) perform so poorly:
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had a similar problem when I installed my HID kit. I just switched the wires to the lamp assembly. The polarity was reversed thus causing the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts