Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T plus
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I own a 2015 Challenger RT+. I purchased a Morimoto MOPAR 50-watt HID kit from TRS (The Retrofit Source) back in early 2016, and I can safely say that it's been a nightmare ever since. (Has any Challenger owner here had a pleasant experience from an aftermarket HID kit, ever?) I'm hoping someone here can lend me some useful information or at least point me in the right direction as to what exactly the problem is and how the hell to solve it. I've attached some photos for reference.

Had the kit professionally installed early 2016. Driving with it for several months, though the light output was nowhere near I had hoped, and the OEM halogen bulbs were probably brighter. But at least it looked "pretty."

Fast forward to December 2016.

The passenger side bulb begins to flicker intermittently and, ultimately, shut off completely.

I take it back to the auto shop. They check everything with a voltmeter. The passenger side relay is bad. They replace it.

Fine.

Drive it for another week or two, and now the passenger side bulb completely dies. Take it back to the shop.

There is a defect with the connection between the bulb and the bulb wire (or perhaps the internal pin on the bulb side itself).

Now, I need to contact TRS to get a replacement bulb and wires. Luckily, the bulb failed within one year after purchasing the kit. Mind you, this is specifically advertised as a MOPAR-compatible kit for my exact car.

Bulbs and wires arrive. Have the new stuff installed at the same auto shop. Now, there is a "shadowing" or "arcing" defect probably within the headlight housing itself which causes the beam pattern on the passenger side to be visibly off. (See the picture.)

It's difficult to tell in the photos provided, but the passenger side headlight is yellower than the driver's side. Mind you, both bulbs are the exact same wattage and the same exact kelvin color temp.

Here is the kit: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/2015-mopar-morimoto-elite.html

Your comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm tired of dealing with HID lights. IMO, the Chally RTs should have come standard with the damn lights. If KIAs and Hyundais come standard with it, a $35k should have definitely come standard with it.

I've uploaded a video to Google drive showing it in motion: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8YBnuQQncDZRWhWNlRzWXNXOTQ/view

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,496 Posts
Throw it in the garbage and go back to stock. Avoid the headaches. See if the dealership will install a set.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
I did an HID install into my friends SXT. I had him purchase aftermarket but OEM Style HID head lamp
capsules and then picked up a D1s HID Kit and fabbed up a custom plug and play harness that drives
the lamps off a fused relay and runs shotkey diodes in the harness to trigger the BiXenon relays in the
headlight capsules. I mounted the HID ballasts inside the headlight capsules and covered them with lexan
covers that I cut out.

They have been flawless so far!

·
Registered
202 Posts
It seems obvious with that burnt out connection that you are pulling too much current through the circuit. The system you installed is not a compatible replacement of you stock components. I would suggest going back to stock and try to get your money back... IMHO...

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T plus
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Retrofit Source

It seems obvious with that burnt out connection that you are pulling too much current through the circuit. The system you installed is not a compatible replacement of you stock components. I would suggest going back to stock and try to get your money back... IMHO...
Unfortunately it's been bout 10 months since the original purchase from The Retrofit Source. It doesn't look like they are admitting it's a defective product. Kind of disappointing, considering TRS is pretty well-known in the HID world and seems to be a reputable source of HID kits - or so I thought. Doubt I'll ever do business with them again. Shelled out $200 for this garbage kit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Try these: https://www.enlightauto.com/collect...allenger-alpha-series-xenon-hid-headlight-kit

I had them previously on my 2016 SXT and did the install myself with the help of their YouTube video which I'll also post the link for.

I drove the SXT for a year with them on and never had one problem with any part of the kit. The lighting and quality were excellent. Installation is a little tedious but well worth it.

I just ordered another kit for the new 2015 R/T Shaker Plus I just got. I would highly recommend them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts