Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a week of using my HID headlights I removed them last night. Put the stocks back in and the difference is like night and day. True, the HIDs were brighter and looked great, but there was no beam patter at all and no light on the road in front of the car. I was straining my eyes to see. The issue is that our headlight housing reflectors are built around the large incandecent bulb, and the thin tiny HID bulb didn't jive with the housing reflector.

What I did do, however, was put the HIDs in the fog lights. That lights up the road phenominally. The front of the car is lit up like a football field and I still get the brilliant glow of street signs from a mile away.

If you're thinking of HIDs don't do it. Unless you put them in the fog lights.

Also stay away from the blue colors. Go with 5000k or less (white/clear) the bluish tint sucks to drive behind.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
Good update - I always wondered about the HID kits.
I have the factory HIDs and I think they are great. I would hate to go back to conventional headlights. My 1998 Chevy pickup headlights are horrible compared to the Challenger HIDs.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
Agree. HID kits are fantastic, but you have to run them in a housing made for HID bulbs. HID bulbs in a halogen housing is poor at best, dangerous at worst.

I currently have HID bulbs in my Ram SRT10 Car ID housings (made for halogens) and the lighting at night is dismal..

·
Registered
812 Posts
Isn't the solution then to install HID housings?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....I'm glad you went back to stock with your headlamp bulbs (although HID's in foglamps can be just as bad (if not more) in relation to glare, etc.).

I posted this in your previous thread but thought it would be appropriate to include it here for the benefit of others.

The following link explains why HID kits in non-HID applications are a bad idea (performance and safety-wise) especially in a reflector headlamps. (HINT: reflector headlamps and halogen projectors are designed to work with a specific halogen bulb/light source. Alter the physical characteristics of that source and of course the beam pattern will be affected).:
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

This one gives you a bit of a lesson regarding light wavelengths/colors and why some (like blue) perform so poorly:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....some folks will actually source HID projectors, ballasts and bulbs and retrofit them into their existing halogen housings. Although still illegal, this is (IMO) a much better alternative to "kits" if done correctly. There are even companies that perform this service. ....its becoming pretty common and usually quite a bit cheaper compared to buying the whole factory set up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I did the conversion on my motorcycle and have been happy with it. Still have the incandescent high beam which is now useless, might as well not even have a headlamp with the stock bulb

·
Registered
711 Posts
I had no problems with my HID kit, I've now gone to an oem SRT8 setup, but eth biggest factor is alot of guys get these kits, install them but never have them re-aimed. I have never had any issues of blinding on coming traffic because mine were aimed by the dealer to compensate for the change in light dispursement.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I had no problems with my HID kit, I've now gone to an oem SRT8 setup, but eth biggest factor is alot of guys get these kits, install them but never have them re-aimed. I have never had any issues of blinding on coming traffic because mine were aimed by the dealer to compensate for the change in light dispursement.
.....it doesn't matter how you aim them, there is simply no way to get effective performance from an HID kit in a reflector housing. The optics are no where near the same as they would be in an HID-specific projector (with a sharp cutoff, proper pattern, no hot spots, etc.).

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
++1 on the ^^^ post.

I've always recommended that the proper HID reflector housing be used. Simply retrofitting a Xenon/HID bulb into an incandescent housing is bad...it may look impressive at the car shows, but all it does is blind everyone else oncoming with that scattered beam w/o the upper cut-off and focus that a proper HID housing would have.

I see a lot of Asian imports and pickups that obviously have illegal retrofits - I want to shoot those lights out, as it is blinding - I've had to shield my eyes as these go by so I can see the road after they've passed by.

Then there's the really blue lights - even worse visibility than low-end halogens...someone might think they look cool, but they're getting less visible light!

The factory option @ $695, is well worth it, especially when you consider the HID bulbs run about $260/pair for replacements at the parts stores and you have peace of mind of a properly engineered system that is covered by the maker's warranty.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I didn't buy a cheap ebay kit, I actually did some homework and bought a GOOD quality kit with a 6000K lamp, never had an issue, had them aimed and they were better for driving then oem lights. I only went with the OEM SRT8 setup as they were available to me.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
I have no love for HID lamps, OEM or otherwise. The extra light is blinding in my opinion (either oncoming or in my mirror).

I have no trouble at all seeing at night with my regular head lamps. I never use the fog lights unless there is dense fog.

What people don't realize is that if you put too much light out in front of your car, it makes it harder to see 'stuff' out in the fringes of the light because your pupils shrink down a little.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
What people don't realize is that if you put too much light out in front of your car, it makes it harder to see 'stuff' out in the fringes of the light because your pupils shrink down a little.
maybe for you. my factory HIDs light up the road and stuff on the fringes like no tomorrow. LOVE THEM!!! and to be honest, I thought they were just a gimmick before I bought the challenger. now I love them!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have no love for HID lamps, OEM or otherwise. The extra light is blinding in my opinion (either oncoming or in my mirror).

I have no trouble at all seeing at night with my regular head lamps. I never use the fog lights unless there is dense fog.

....personally, I think your point has some merit. I would at least say the subject is worthy of debate. I believe there are potential drawbacks with OEM HID's just as there are potential benefits over traditional halogen lighting. We should also take into account that not all particular applications and/or scenarios are the same (performance will vary). Your concern is brought up in the following article (from the same site I mentioned earlier) which I thought you may find interesting:

·
Registered
22 Posts
So what is the best choice in replacing the halogen bulbs in order to get a nice white light output (without changing to HID kits)?

Is there any reliable member here who did the swap and is satisfied with any updated bulbs?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts